The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 5, 2013, 04:51 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

A calibre question, not a calibre war.

Rather than trying to dissect the perceived merits of one calibre over another in a real world setting where actual gun choice can have a huge impact on calibre choice I decided to provide us with a hypothetical weapon platform that should set up an equitable stage for comparing relative performance:
A single shot pistol...

There are 3 calibres I hear mentioned in many concealed carry situations that are common, despite not having the punch of the ubiquitous 9x19:

.38Spl, 9x18 and 9x17.

Now again, some of these come as HPs but I understand none make the fullest use of a hollow-point's possible expansion so let's also say these all had to be FMJs.

I will allow variation in bullet weight and profile, as long as they are FMJs and standard pressures: no +Ps.

We can suggest the most popular range of bullet sizes, so 125-158gr for the .38 and 80-100gr for the .380ACP
The Makarov I'm less familiar with so I will go with the same as .380ACP: 80-100gr.

So if, for whatever reason you choose to imagine, you were restricted to a single shot pistol for concealed carry, which weight of FMJ would you carry in which calibre?

When we cut through innumerable variations and try to get to the essence of what each can provide, which would you prefer. You don't even need to justify it!!

Before you ask why I will tell you: curiosity.
Old November 5, 2013, 04:58 PM   #2
KMAX

158gr 38 Special. I like a heavier bullet. Not really sure why, mostly habit I guess.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old November 5, 2013, 05:18 PM   #3
DavidAGO

+1 , .38 spl, +p. I like heavier projectiles. it also is what I have, since you did not include .380

David
Old November 5, 2013, 05:22 PM   #4
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
+1 , .38 spl, +p. I like heavier projectiles. it also is what I have, since you did not include .380
Please re-read my OP.

.380 is listed - as far as I am aware, .380ACP and 9x17 are one and the same.
I also implemented a "no +P allowed" clause.

With that info re-clarified, would .38 still be your choice?
Old November 5, 2013, 05:56 PM   #5
DavidAGO

I apologize, I did not realize the .380 was the same as the 9X17, or close enough for your comparison purposes. I do have a .380, I do carry it upon occasion, the ruger LCP just fits better in a pants pocket than my .38. but my choice given your parameters would still be the .38, no +p.

David
Old November 5, 2013, 06:13 PM   #6
jhenry

With bullet diameter in the three examples being close enough to be considered the same, and velocities being in the same neighborhood, and all three being limited to FMJ, the only real variable to contend with is weight. The .38 Special can handle a much heavier bullet. It wins.
Old November 5, 2013, 06:15 PM   #7
g.willikers

If I only had a single shot pistol, The caliber would be of a secondary consideration.
I'd pick the heaviest one that could do double duty as a club.
Old November 5, 2013, 06:23 PM   #8
gotthegoods

Since it's all FMJ, how about 147gr 9mm, typically more bullets and faster re-load than a revolver
Old November 5, 2013, 06:43 PM   #9
RBid

A calibre question, not a calibre war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers View Post
If I only had a single shot pistol, The caliber would be of a secondary consideration.
I'd pick the heaviest one that could do double duty as a club.
G and I have disagreed on some things before, but we're singing songs at the same campfire on this one. Big time.
Old November 5, 2013, 06:55 PM   #10
RX-79G

With those rounds in FMJ, I don't think bullet weight matters at all. They are all going to poke clean 9mm diameter holes through the target, so it can't matter much. The fact that one was slower, faster, more inertia, less isn't going to matter if all of them travel all the way through in a fraction of a second.

It is something like asking if it would hurt more to be cut with a stainless vs. carbon steel knife. A cut's a cut and a hole is a hole.
Old November 5, 2013, 07:41 PM   #11
jhenry

Not when you factor in clothing and bones. Weight equals inertia, and inertia will take the slug further. I don't know if anyone here does any actual handgun hunting, but there is a reason we use heavy slugs even if it costs some velocity.

Last edited by jhenry; November 5, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old November 5, 2013, 08:07 PM   #12
LE-28

I to, would choose the .38 spl with the 158gr bullet. They are easier to re- load for and in my opinion, more versatile.
Old November 5, 2013, 08:23 PM   #13
Hawg

158 grain .38
Old November 5, 2013, 08:25 PM   #14
3.Shot.Group.

158gr .38 BBWB
Old November 5, 2013, 08:30 PM   #15
SDC

Among those three, the choice of the actual pistol used ends up playing a bigger role in my mind, and since the 380 and 9mm Mak are essentially a tie, I'd probably have to choose a slim 380 (Sig 230 or similar) over a 6-shot 38 revolver.
Old November 5, 2013, 08:39 PM   #16
James K
Member In Memoriam

One of the OP's conditions was a single shot pistol, so in this game, the SIG and the revolver are not options.

FWIW, both the 9x18's (Makarov and Ultra) are considerably more powerful than the .380, though both come in under the 9mm Parabellum.

Jim
Old November 5, 2013, 09:06 PM   #17
Rob62

Another vote for .38 Special with 158 grain bullets.
Old November 6, 2013, 12:33 AM   #18
Buzzcook

More case capacity in the .38sp.
Old November 6, 2013, 01:48 AM   #19
JD0x0

Quote:
So if, for whatever reason you choose to imagine, you were restricted to a single shot pistol for concealed carry, which weight of FMJ would you carry in which calibre?
I would take whatever lets me use the heaviest bullets, with the most relative energy. I am not concerned with 'stopping power' or 'punch' as these don't really exist in reality. I want the deepest penetrating bullet possible, if I cannot create significant hydrostatic shock through high velocity. (which, generally wont happen with pistols, since velocity is low) I want the bullet to go all the way through my target, no matter how heavy their clothes, or what bones the bullet hits, I want it to keep moving, enough to create an exit wound. It's also nice to have the ability to shoot through light cover, that your target may be behind, while also still having significant penetration on the target, after passing through the barrier.
For the best penetration you want the highest sectional density possible. This generally means you want the heaviest longest bullet you can practically use.
I don't mind sacrificing velocity for bullet weight, but I'd prefer to at least have my heavy bullets just under the speed of sound. This is why I like loads like 147grn 9x19 @ about 1000fps, or .40S&W with 200grn between 900-1000fps.

Between the 9x17, 9x18, and .38spl if I only have a single shot weapon, I'd have to go with the revolver cartridge. All 3 develop similar energy, which is fairly low, the .38 at least has the ability to go up to and possibly exceed 200grain bullets. Where as the auto cartridges are pretty much maxed out @ 100grains factory loads and 124 grain, if you hand load, and if you're lucky enough not to have case bulging with that weight bullet.
Old November 6, 2013, 06:53 PM   #20
kirbinster

Back when the police used to use revolvers the .38 special was know as the widow maker, as so many woman that were married to cops that used them ended up as widows. Go with a .357 Magnum instead.
Old November 6, 2013, 07:24 PM   #21
jhenry

Read the OP's post. There is no .357 involved here.
Old November 6, 2013, 07:54 PM   #22
Hal

Quote:
Read the OP's post. There is no .357 involved here.
Maybe - maybe not...

Elmer Keith loaded up some potent stuff in the .38 spl that rivaled the .357 max (note - not .357 magnum).

.38 spl brass is extremely strong and can stand up to some monster pressures.

Given the OP's limitations, I'd be inclined to go with a .38spl case, a 173 grain bullet and a big dose of Alliant 2400.
Old November 6, 2013, 08:24 PM   #23
mavracer

Hal OP says no +p so Keith loads are defiantly out of contention.
For my answer I'd go with the 38. Crush cavity is the major wounding factor when discussing handguns especially in these calibers and momentum is really what you need to look at when modeling permanent crush cavity.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old November 6, 2013, 09:17 PM   #24
jhenry

Quote:
Elmer Keith loaded up some potent stuff in the .38 spl that rivaled the .357 max (note - not .357 magnum).
Again....read the OP. No +P even, so certainly no Keith loads. In addition, while some of his and Phill Sharpe's loads rivaled .357 loads, and were in fact the impetus for the .357 S+W magnum, they were no where near .357 Max. territory. You can fill a .38 case full with 2400 and a 173 grain actual Keith slug and not get there. Not enough capacity.

I have done it with Keith's loads and real deal Keith bullets over a chrono. You can get them humming right along, but there are physical limitations.
Old November 6, 2013, 09:26 PM   #25
dakota.potts

I'd say a .38 of those, but I don't know enough to pick any particular bullet weight.