The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2011, 05:42 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

Light and clamp for an 870 no more than $100

Is there a decent weapon light to stick on an HD 870 costing no more than $100 including the bracket. I don't need to illuminate bad guys 50 or 100 feet away and its not going to be knocked about by possibly neglectful LEOs from shift to shift. I am a civilian and will use it for target shooting, perhaps some hunting down the road, and most of the time it will be waiting in the closet for the day that I hope never comes.

It is hard to tell from a few user ratings, since many don't rate a product unless it is crap, but this from WalMart looks like it would be fine if it worked.
Don't tell me to get a $250 light and forend from surefire, because it won't happen. Before I did that I would simply do as zippy13 suggested elsewhere and leave some low wattage lights on downstairs ( aimed so as not to illuminate defensive position on the upstairs landing). Before I spent the bucks on a surefire I would put into ammo and range fees, and perhaps an HD lesson.

My DOJ waitng period is up Sunday and I hope to be tinkering with my 870 before noon.

TIA
Old January 5, 2011, 05:55 PM   #2
rantingredneck

This is a decent rail system that will fit the 870 mag extension. It'll also fit forward of the foreend on a Mossberg 500 5 shot mag tube.

Combine it with a decent 1" scope ring, or a CAA light mount and a Surefire G2 LED and you'll come in not much over 100 bucks total.

You could trim some costs by trolling for used versions of the above or by switching to a less expensive flashlight (Streamlight Polytac perhaps?). I have experience with the above though so that's where the recommendation is coming from.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old January 5, 2011, 09:00 PM   #3
TheKlawMan

Thanks rantingredneck. I get my 870 this weekend. First I will mess with it for a while and decide if I want to keep the two shot extension. I may lose it in favor of less weitght and whether or not I keep it limits the type of light, but it is nice to see I can afford something decent. I read about some of the ones you mentioned and I could care less if it lasts 3 or 12 hours but do want it bright.
Old January 5, 2011, 09:37 PM   #4
oneounceload

There used to be a poster, (IIRC on here), named candewman who makes various clamps for shotguns

http://www.cdmgear.com/

Might have what you're looking for
Old January 5, 2011, 09:56 PM   #5
zippy13

It was someone else who suggested a nite-lite downstairs. I recommended a remote lamp controller. My local home center has this basic unit for less than $15.

Image: HomeDepot
Old January 5, 2011, 09:59 PM   #6
rantingredneck

^ Exactly.

I'm a firm believer in the light on your gun being a backup to the lighting you've set up in your home before hand. Whether it's automatic on night lights or a manual switch for a lamp as shown above by zippy.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old January 5, 2011, 10:14 PM   #7
fourrobert13

I use this, http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1..._SHOTGUN_MOUNT, and a surefire g2 led with a remote pressure switch. Works well for me and was under $100.
Old January 5, 2011, 10:54 PM   #8
Willis83

Here's what I did:

Gun is laminated wood stock Remington 870 Express 12 gauge with 4 shot magazine tube.

1 1/2" Picatinny rail from Choate at riflestock.com that I screwed to the right side of the forearm. (about $10 plus shipping) Choate also sells a short plastic forend with predrilled holes and rail included for $31. MidwayUSA also sells Magpul picatinny rails that are cheaper than Choate's but do not include screws.

I mounted a Streamlight TLR-1 on my shotgun from midwayusa for $99. It will illuminate targets up to 75 yards and will really brighten up a room. I originally had a Streamlight TLR-3 that Midway sells for $84.99 but it is now on a handgun. The TLR-3 will only illuminate targets up to 40 yds away but will work fine for you and is smaller and lighter.

The nice thing about this system is I can easily actuate the light w/o taking my hand off the forend yet it is out of the way when operating the action. And if I want to take the gun hunting or trap shooting it takes less than 30 sec to take the light off.

I hope this helps.

P.S. Sorry I was going to attach some pics of my setup but they were taking forever so I gave up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S4010005.jpg (223.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg S4010004.jpg (221.4 KB, 40 views)
Old January 5, 2011, 10:58 PM   #9
Willis83

Oh pics did upload but I meant to say I mounted light on the left side of gun.
Old January 6, 2011, 03:44 AM   #10
TheKlawMan

Thanks all. Sorry I confused Zippy13 with whoever mentioned remotely controlled lighting, Zippy13. I will pick up the remote at the Home Depot.

It looks like there are several options for a decent light within my budget. I am going to get the HD light from HD for now and get used to how I want my 870set up and I may lose the extended mag, in which case some light clamps won't work. Some of the ones oneounce linked to look good. There is a very inexpensive light that is so inexpensive I am leary of it. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...p=WX2&i=179662
the same light didn't get such hot reviews at walmart.com http://www.walmart.com/ip/SSI-Defend...Laser/14657445
Old January 6, 2011, 04:53 PM   #11
redrick

Cdmgear makes some nice clamps. I just got the Mod C. If I had to stay around $100 dollars, I would get a Streamlight PolyTac LED light to go with it. You can get the light for $45 dollars on Ebay and the clamp runs $55 dollars plus shipping.

I would rather have a G2, but the light will run you $111 dollars if you add the click on tailcap option and I would rather have one that way, than one you have to turn the tailcap.The PolyTac has a click on switch.

I am waiting for opticsplanet to get the new 120 lumen Surefire 6P Defense in stock. That's what I am going to mount in mine, $112 dollars.
Old January 8, 2011, 09:20 PM   #12
sonrider657

Check this out: http://vuurwapenblog.com/2010/12/16/...n-light-mount/
Old January 16, 2011, 11:52 AM   #13
bagman

I just bought a LumaForce LF1 mount and light system for my 12ga for around $50. It's made for use on shotguns. Advertised as 300 lumens. Don't know if it is or not but is by far the brightest light I own and I have several. Mount is made of aluminum. Excellent value IMO.

Tags
home defense , shotgun , weapon light