The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 13, 2005, 03:46 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

Glazers and Magtech penetration

I know the two mentioned rounds are primarily for stopping power and to prevent overpenetration from bad guys into people. But will Glazers and Magtech penetrate glass, walls and windshields if you need to shoot through them?
Generally speaking, when I go to bed at night I take my .38+P silvertips out and drop Glazers in for home defense.
Old June 13, 2005, 07:30 PM   #2
Jkwas

theboxotruth.com

go to the theboxotruth.com I was surprised how supposedly "safe" bullets
penetrate drywall and plywood It really made me re-think my ammo.
Old June 13, 2005, 08:00 PM   #3
45 Fu

Take a .355, 90 grain projectile and propel it in excess of 1300 fps and you shouldn't be surprised at what it will go through, although a lot of people are. Don't feel bad, I fell for the hype when they first came out until I thought about it some.

They are like any other round. They might/might not depending on the hardness, angle, and thickness of the barrier. The chance of it happening might be less than other rounds, but that should give you pause; how can you be sure they will have enough to penetrate to vital organs after going through a hand or arm?

I feel better knowing that my load has a better chance of doing it than a ultra-light bullet. What's my load? Anything that functions 100% in that particular pistol - I'm not brand loyal.
Old June 13, 2005, 10:15 PM   #4
Doug.38PR

Quote:
go to the theboxotruth.com I was surprised how supposedly "safe" bullets
HEHEHEHEHE, the Glaser BLEW UP the water jug but didn't have any penetration beyond. Well that puts my mind at ease as far as overpenetration into people goes, but I'd still like to know if Glasers will penetrate walls and windshields and windows if fired at them to get through to the bad guy.
Also, I'd hate to have to shoot some creep with those Glasers, I'd hate to shoot him in the chest and have his insides explode all over my house :barf: as the water jug on the website you referenced did.

Also, I like his demonstration of the effectiveness of the M1 Carbine . I just got one of those and was told that it doesn't have the penetration and power of an AR 15. After viewing that site, no matter to me now. Maybe it isn't an AR 15 but it is still one heck of a round. Certainly no wimpy gun. Penetrated everything in front of it and still took out a big chunk of concrete. That thing will penetrate a car door or maybe even body armor just as effectivily as an AR 15. One my have less power but both will get the job done.

I'd like to set up a range like that in my backyard. Too bad I live in a neighborhood.
Old June 13, 2005, 10:40 PM   #5
CarbineCaleb

Personally, I think the frangible ammunition has insufficient penetration. It hasn't tested out well at all in gelatin tests.
Old June 14, 2005, 01:10 AM   #6
BillCA

Glasers have their uses, but I've moved away from them.

One incident was of a BG inside a building when confronted by police. Instead of standing still he reached for a pocket with one hand, pivoting to that side and brought his arm up as the officer fired a 9mm Silver Glaser round. The round struck the BG's forearm and bone, leaving a crater-like wound. BG ran about 10 yards, fired 2 shots from a .25acp and was answered with 4 rounds of Remington 115gr JHP's which made him DRT.

The other known incident was a Clayton, CA police officer who lost his .357 in a roll-in-the-roadside-dirt encounter and was shot under the chin with a .38 Blue Glaser at contact distance. He survived with some very serious facial, dental and sinus injuries. He described it like being hit with a baseball bat with Lou Gerhig on the other end.

The main problem with frangible ammo within structures is that they typically require something harder than themselves to disrupt their cohesion. This means you need to hit a 2x4 stud in the wall. Simple sheetrock and insulation won't stop a Glaser. My worry is that a round fired at a BG will hit something -- his belt buckle, jacket zipper, a zippo lighter in his shirt pocket, and become worthless.

For indoor shooting, using a 110gr projectile seems like a good bet. It'll certainly go through walls, but it stands a good chance at terminating in the 2x4 studs, a door, the 5-lb sack of flour in the pantry, etc. However I don't have enough confidence in the 110's that a single shot will stop an angry BG either!