The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old September 17, 2010, 06:03 AM   #51
roy reali

Dirt Clods

I like to shoot at dirt clods on the side of hills at ridiculously long distances espically with rimfires. I like to have to use mortar type aiming angels and have a countable wait time for impact. Before anyone wonders about the dangers of such shooting, where I live you can touch off an atom bomb and not hurt anyone.
Old September 24, 2010, 10:55 PM   #52
shredder4286

my wife and i made up a game we take a paper plate, and draw a bullseye about 1" in diameter, then draw a 4" circle around the bullseye. hits outside of the circle score 0 points. on the line, or inside the circle- but still outside the bullseye are worth 1 point. bullseye shots are worth 2 points. each person has a 3 round mag. she beats me about 80% of the time, but it sure is a lot of fun.
Old September 25, 2010, 04:59 PM   #53
aarondhgraham

Dueling trees are a hoot!,,,

This one works well,,,

Tremendous amount of fun with a couple of .22 handguns,,,
They also make them for centerfire handguns.

Any of the spinner targets is more fun than paper,,,

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 25, 2010, 07:20 PM   #54
William Lee

Three guys, two with shotguns, one chucking clays. Shooter 1 gets a change to break the first clay. If he breaks it, he gets a point. If he misses, shooter 2 can shoot to steal the point. If Shooter 1 breaks his clay, Shooter 2 still gets a chance to shoot at the fragments, if any, in order to negate the point. Then you trade off. It's a race to 5, and the loser takes an extra shot of tequila after the guns are back in their cases.
Old November 1, 2010, 07:12 AM   #55
hboy828

you know the little clay dropper hat hold like 5?
load them up with 3 clays and have 2 or 3 people have their own
first one to shoot all 3 wins
Old November 4, 2010, 01:08 PM   #56
JC5503

My buddies and I like taking boot laces or any old nylon like rope and hanging them from the barbed wire fence out where we shoot. After we get them all tied up (one for each of us), we light the end that is dangling with a lighter or whatever and step back 10 or 15yds, let them burn a little and then take your .22 or whatever and try to shoot the flame out first. Whoever puts their string out first wins. When Im by myself I like to set a cinder block out around 100yds and shoot at it with my .22 it makes a cool little puff of dust and thud.
Old November 25, 2010, 08:26 PM   #57
An03ForLife

Pivot drills and speed reloading competitions ftw. Popular at work. Get the guys together and turn it into a competition. Good fun. Came second place in a speed reloading competition platoon wide at work. Fuzzy-warm feelings ensued.

Urrh
Old November 25, 2010, 08:32 PM   #58
TXAZ

Another vote for Range Poker. Easy to set up, and you can wager lunch / dinner / beer (AFTER) etc on the best hand.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 29, 2010, 02:18 PM   #59
Achilles11B

For a new take on carbine training, especially with the AR, look no further than here...

http://www.youtube.com/user/VikingTactics

I cannot think of better CQB drills, although my times are nor remotely close to the times demonstrated on the videos. Practice, practice, practice...
Old December 12, 2010, 07:57 PM   #60
younggunfreak

Hi volume squirrel hunting
Old January 9, 2011, 01:12 PM   #61
Krav Maga

You know those paintball courses with all the balloons? We use similar things,just with wood and boulders.We (me and friends) go through run and gun exercises,and practice house clearing.And skeet shooting.
Remington 700,suppressed
Old January 12, 2011, 12:50 AM   #62
Boomer8404

The place where I go shooting, there is a lot of bottle, cans, small boxes and what not to shoot at.

Basically Shooting Horse w/ pistols. Two or more players. First shooter pics a target to shoot at and everybody shoots at it. Whoever hits gets a point, whoever doesnt hit gets no point. If all hit all get a point, no hits no points. If the shooter who picks the target and hits it in the round, that shooter can re-shoot the same or pick another for the next round. If the shooter who pics the target for the round misses the target and all others miss, the shooter can re-shoot at the same or pick another. If the beginning shooter picks a target for a round and misses and the next shooter in line hits hits, regardless if the shooters after he/she hits. That shooter gets to pick the next target. The games ends at whatever predetermined amount of points the shooters agree on.

Sorry if my explanation is hard to understand, I do apologize. But, the game is really fun. Also, it is a shooting game that can take some skill to master and helps to build skill too. It is a game that makes you slow down and take you time while shooting your pistol. Where I shoot, distances range from 10 to 75 yards. It really makes you take in and use/exercise the fundamentals of shooting a pistol.
Old January 12, 2011, 09:06 PM   #63
cnimrod

Cleaned out the hunting cabin

bunch of rusty old canned goods. aim for the edge see how high you can get em to jump. even with a .22 it's a hoot
Old January 22, 2011, 05:37 PM   #64
jcvibby

I like playing card games. It takes a little time to set up but it is tons of fun. Fun to put some money on it too. What I do is staple 52 cards to a small sheet of plywood. Then play take your turn to make the best five card hand. Maybe 150-200 yards and it should be a good chalange.
Old January 22, 2011, 09:41 PM   #65
highvel

I like to hang golf balls with 1/8" cable about 3' long and smack em with .22's at 100 yds. or so. They are difficult to hit while they are swinging from the last shot!
Though he doesn't know it my son donates his paint balls to me and I line em up on a log or any place they wont roll and wear em out with my Browning Silhouette .22

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old January 22, 2011, 11:36 PM   #66
BIG P

We play a long range game 1000 - 1500yrds. We have several gongs on a sand dune 1man goes to the 1500 bench the other man goes around half way bench the stations are staggered the man at 1500 is the lead shooter the other plays back up. When lead shooter pics a gong and fires the other mans job is to shoot the same gong or complete the hit the long range man had missed,on a miss shooters rotate the lead.Our gongs are the size of sewer caps.Sounds easy but it great pratice & alot of fun
Old January 27, 2011, 11:03 PM   #67
mr renwick

We like to bet a Mcdonalds ice cream on who can hit a penny at 100yds with a 22.