The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 24, 2013, 08:17 PM   #1
BuckRub

Ordered some Rainier's

I finally had to break down and order some 40 cal rainier bullets from midway. I haven't had to order any in about 8-9 years but been shooting a lot the last year. I like to carry Hornady XTPs for walking in the woods but I've shot tons of rainier's and berrys in the past. They're suppose to arrive tommorow I got 1000 of the 135 grainers. I light the lighter grain ones. What do y'all like -rainier, berrys, cast, Montana gold or ....?
Old July 24, 2013, 10:09 PM   #2
thealex

Xtremebullets.com has awesome prices, free shipping and are comparable to above. A
Old July 24, 2013, 11:40 PM   #3
BuckRub

Yea I checked they were about 13 dollars higher but free shipping. So basically the same price. I ordered rainier because I have loaded and shot thousands upon thousands through the past year and they are accurate. Plus I ordered from midway, I've always had great experience with them plus fast shipping and I had to order some buffers for my browning buckmark so all in all I'm happy plus my wife says I hate seeing you not at the bench reloading. I've been shooting bullets I had stockpiled for the last 20 years so ill be cranking out fresh stuff again.
Old July 25, 2013, 03:23 PM   #4
BigJimP

I prefer Montana Gold - because they're a true jacketed bullet.../ much more consistent in terms of weight than Rainiers have ever been ...( sometimes Rainiers can easily vary 4 or 5 grains on a 230 grain bullet -- probably depending on where they are in the plating process).

If I wanted to shoot a plated bullet ...I'd go with Berry's...they have a much thicker and more consistent plating than Rainers...

But Montana Gold - being a true jacketed bullet...is a superior product to any plated bullet in my opinon.
-----------
.40 S&W is a pretty high pressure round...so I'd be careful to load those Rainiers to mid level specs for lead bullets - like Rainier suggests /...and certainly not get them too fast. In calibers like .44mag...I've had some plated bullets fragment...so I don't trust plated bullets in larger calibers or in higher velocities.../ but I do trust plated bullets in something like a .45 acp ...heavy and slow...seems to suit them. But any rounds that I'm going to push the velocity on - above the published mid-range - or anywhere up toward the upper published recipe range, I'll shoot a true jacketed bullet over plated.

Berry's says to load their bullets to mid range jacketed specs ..and not over 1200 fps as I recall...so they are a little more versatile than Rainiers.
Old July 25, 2013, 04:21 PM   #5
Mausermolt

I shot a wild pig with some Rainier 230 grn HP out of my 1911. they didnt expand one bit. acted like a solid. they didnt shoot all that well in my pistol either. so i mostly shoot Powerbond's now for plinking ammo
Old July 25, 2013, 04:32 PM   #6
BuckRub

I shot tons just down range and most don't expand hardly at all but that's ok for me that dirt or paper is already dead. That'd even be better for hogs though to get deep penetration. As far as accuracy, in my Glock they are awesome and that's what it's all about is accuracy. If my gun shot poorly then I'd never even consider them. I also load them middle of the road and just lightly crimp.
Old July 25, 2013, 04:35 PM   #7
serf 'rett

Berry's in 40S&W. Berry's and MO Bullets cast in 9mm and 45ACP.