The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 6, 2013, 07:10 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

Talk Me Into A Glock 19

Okay, I don't mean that you need to convince me that they are a reliable, combat accurate handgun that can take a licking and keep on ticking. I get that. I also don't need the fanboys to tell me that the mere holding of a Glock is a nearly mystical experience akin to holding a working Star Wars Lightsaber. I want the folks that shoot guns like the SA XD series, 1911s, Ruger 22/45s, etc., and shoot them well, to convince me that the Glock grip angle isn't that big of a deal and can be overcome with ease.

I've thought about buying a Glock for more than six years but never have. None of them felt right to me. The 19, however, seems to feel different to me for some reason, not quite as chunky in the hand. And, as good firearms go, $499 seems like a decent price.

I've spent the last year or so selling part of my collection, but for some reason I have always thought a person should own a Glock since it is such an iconic firearm. I'm not a fan of Gaston Glock since he seems to have a fair amount disdain for the people of the United States (at least that is what I have read about him), but the 19 keeps calling to me for some reason. I have no interest in any of the other models.
Old July 6, 2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Old Stony

Maybe you should have a good talk with your mother about making good decisions. They can usually be relied on to have your best interests in mind.
After you have that talk, go out and buy your Glock and don't look back...you will learn to appreciate it's qualities.
Old July 6, 2013, 07:29 PM   #3
arch308

Of all my handguns my G19 is my go to gun. It is small enough to carry concealed but big enough to shoot accurately. Holds 15+1 and is ultra reliable. It also fits the hand better than most regardless of the "grip angle". They are light and very low maintainence and if ever needed can be completely stripped with nothing more for tools than a small punch.
Don't get me wrong. I love my 1911s and my Sigs. But if I had to choose one it would be my G19. Hands down!
Old July 6, 2013, 07:44 PM   #4
Joe_Pike

Quote:
Maybe you should have a good talk with your mother about making good decisions. They can usually be relied on to have your best interests in mind.
You've clearly never met my mother.
Old July 6, 2013, 08:03 PM   #5

LOL! Joe, before you do anything, check out the Ruger SR9. It's quite a bit slimmer than the G19 and still built stronger. It's easier to carry than a G19 any day of the week while having 17 round mag. capacity. If it's not small enough, the SR9c certainly will be. I've been through all of the poly frame pistols and was pretty well convinced that the XDm was the best of the breed until Ruger offered to sell me a replacement SR9 because I had sent them a P-89 I had bought used and it needed some work. Since they don't continue to support the alloy framed P-series, they made me an excellent offer on the SR9. A month later I said goodbye to my XDm 4.5 in .45 ACP and bought an SR45. After 300 rounds fired for break-in, you'll end up with the best factory trigger to be had in any poly-frame pistol. Then there's the added peace of mind that comes with its manual safety system. It also has the best sight system for me personally and they are adjustable.

When you consider the 2 most common pistol grip angles, think of all those based on JMB's research in developing his grip angle vs those based on Georg Luger's grip angle. Guess who got it right?
Old July 6, 2013, 08:36 PM   #6
tomrkba

Here is why:

1) It shoots well. It is not a target 1911. If you want a target gun, then buy a target gun.
2) There are no sharp edges on the gun anywhere (unless you install aftermarket items). Your hands will appreciate this during a defensive pistol course.
3) One $25 book, a roll of duct tape, Glock Tool (or standard punch), front sight tool and rear sight tool are all that are needed to work on them. Maintenance is often overlooked by shooters, but it's very important if you do not want to spend $84 for overnight shipping via FedEX plus gunsmithing fees and months of waiting. Glock pistols are very easy to work on unless something is wrong with the slide, frame or barrel. Many issues can be fixed by dropping in a few low priced parts. This is a big deal for me.
4) $75 in spare parts and springs will keep your Glock going for awhile.
5) The magazines are very durable so long as you don't drop them fully loaded. They are easily rebuilt with under $10 in parts.
6) The Glock 19 is still the best balance between slide length, sight radius, magazine capacity, width, weight, height and reliability (YMMV depending upon generation and what you do to it) currently available. I keep trying other guns in 9x19mm and always go back to it.
7) If you end up hating it, you should be able to sell it for close to the purchase price (so long as it looks new). They're very popular and sell easily.

Last edited by tomrkba; July 6, 2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old July 6, 2013, 08:49 PM   #7
allaroundhunter

Re: Talk Me Into A Glock 19

If you need to be talked into it, then you're doing it wrong. Go rent one and see if it works for you. They work perfectly fine for me, and I carry mine. I also shoot a Glock 34 in competition, so it is an easy transition and I get a good but of training on the platform.
Old July 6, 2013, 08:50 PM   #8
lee n. field

Quote:
I've thought about buying a Glock for more than six years but never have. None of them felt right to me. The 19, however, seems to feel different to me for some reason, not quite as chunky in the hand. And, as good firearms go, $499 seems like a decent price.
"How long will you waver between two opinions?"

Six years? And I thought I overthought these decisions. Maybe you should just decide right now you won't get it. Contentment is a virtue.

Quote:
I want the folks that shoot guns like the SA XD series, 1911s, Ruger 22/45s, etc., and shoot them well, to convince me that the Glock grip angle isn't that big of a deal and can be overcome with ease.
That is the case. They are not difficult to adjust to.

If you decide they're not right for you, it should be easy enough to find a home for.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 6, 2013, 09:00 PM   #9
Gats Italian

If you buy a Glock while unconvinced about the feel of one, also buy a Dremel while you are out shopping.
Old July 6, 2013, 10:17 PM   #10
jfrey

The G19 is probably the most popular model Glock makes. I shoot my Gen 3 and Gen 4 models during the same range sessions as my 1911's and switching back and forth isn't a problem. A G19 never will be a Les Baer or Briley, but it wasn't designed to be. The G19 is the gun you take when something might get scratched, wet, muddy or dropped. Get the G19 and shoot it.
Old July 6, 2013, 10:53 PM   #11
Tactical Jackalope

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Get one...I have gone through so many guns for CCW and I've finally settled for the past year on a Glock 19 and I haven't looked back since.

Small enough to carry and big enough to take with you OWB as a secondary.

I've never had a malfunction with mine. My cousin hasn't with his. I know plenty in MDPD Narcotics that carry the 17, 19, or 26. And same with those.

I have a ton of holsters for mine. Magazines. Spare parts. They're so easy to work on and parts are so easy and cheap to find. There isn't a part on my Glock that I can't change myself. Nope, I'm not a Glock armorer either lol.

Very, very, very reliable. I haven't done anything to mine but change the sights to Trijicon HD's. The triggers are great with an awesome reset. Very audible. If you're spoiled by 1911 triggers, then it'll take a bit of getting used to, but it will and can happen. Same goes for the feel of the grip if it ever did bother you. You NEED to shoot it. Trust me.

Mine has been through rain, sand, dirt, salt water, (see location) you name it. Never had an issue with it.

I have a TLR-1 attachment that usually stays on at night for CCW either IWB or OWB. And of course, on the night stand as well. Normal holsters IWB and OWB also for the day time.

I have it loaded with Corbon DPX's 95gr or 115gr. I usually carry 1-2 spare magazines. I haven't bought another gun since I got my Glock 19. My Glock 17 is currently being let to a friend of mine since his gun is out of service. I have a 21 and 22 as well. Used to have a 34 (miss it so much) and 27. I have SIG's and Hk. 1911's and BHP's. They're all great guns.

However day in and day out my Glock 19 is my main "go to" gun.

15+1 rounds at my disposal. I'm great with it. Under stress training and plinking long to short distance.

Get the Glock 19. You won't be disappointed. Plus, worst case scenario. You can always sell it for the same you bought it for or a little less. (due to current times)

Massive amount of aftermarket and factory parts sold everywhere. I have a LoneWolf Ported barrel for mine, just for fun.

Glock 19 gen3 or gen4. You'll love them both. (Mine is a gen3)
Old July 6, 2013, 11:00 PM   #12
Gbnk82

My advice is if you dont like the angle dont get it..why should you have to adjust to a gun when you feel mlre comfortable with something else..now by all means if you feel comfortable holding it then go for you know its a smart buy nothing beats a glock for reliability..but like i said if the grip really bothers you there are other options
Old July 6, 2013, 11:04 PM   #13
9mm

I have had mine for about three years, mainly carry for that time.
Old July 6, 2013, 11:05 PM   #14
CUBAN REDNECK

Can't go wrong with a Glock 19

I have owned several Glocks (17, 19, 22) over the years and the Glock 19 is hands down the better pistol, at least for me. Size, feel, and reliability are really good. Though not the prettiest or fanciest pistol on the market, it will probably go bang when you need it to do so and the price is competitive with similar pistols. Moreover, there are a lot after market accessories for Glocks in general.
Old July 6, 2013, 11:14 PM   #15
SHE3PDOG

If you want a range toy, don't get a GLOCK because there are more accurate guns out there. If you want a self-defense, you can consider it if its what floats your boat, but if you are uncomfortable with it for whatever reason, there are better guns in the world. If you want a gun that works reliably in places where you are bound to get your sidearm dirty, scratched, or in otherwise unpleasant circumstances, but don't want to ding an expensive gun, consider a GLOCK. Its pretty cheap for a decent quality gun, and I wasn't too heart broken when mine started acquiring scratches.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old July 7, 2013, 12:31 AM   #16
TheGunGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHE3PDOG View Post
If you want a range toy, don't get a GLOCK because there are more accurate guns out there. If you want a self-defense, you can consider it if its what floats your boat, but if you are uncomfortable with it for whatever reason, there are better guns in the world. If you want a gun that works reliably in places where you are bound to get your sidearm dirty, scratched, or in otherwise unpleasant circumstances, but don't want to ding an expensive gun, consider a GLOCK. Its pretty cheap for a decent quality gun, and I wasn't too heart broken when mine started acquiring scratches.
Seriously... More accurate guns out there? Aren't Glocks, along with several other manufacturers used by competitive shooters? If YOU are not accurate with a Glock - that's one thing. But how can you seriously say as a generalization they are not accurate?
Old July 7, 2013, 01:48 AM   #17
SHE3PDOG

I never said they weren't accurate, I simply said that there are more accurate guns out there. Also, the OP was speaking specifically about the G19, not the full sized or competition model GLOCKs that are normally used in competitive shooting. Its just my opinion anyway, no need to get riled up about it.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old July 7, 2013, 07:18 AM   #18
TheGunGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHE3PDOG View Post
I never said they weren't accurate, I simply said that there are more accurate guns out there. Also, the OP was speaking specifically about the G19, not the full sized or competition model GLOCKs that are normally used in competitive shooting. Its just my opinion anyway, no need to get riled up about it.
Nobody's excited here friend. You stated there are more accurate pistols than a Glock. It is your opinion. Plenty of pistols, including Glocks are plenty accurate out of the box. Baring major flaw or defect, they will be infinitely more accurate than the shooter.
Old July 7, 2013, 07:46 AM   #19
kcub

I dont care for the 19. I'd rather have the g26 for concealment and yes, less recoil.

I'd rather have the g17 for fullsize/high cap.
Old July 7, 2013, 08:09 AM   #20
Tactical Jackalope

Talk Me Into A Glock 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGunGuy View Post
Nobody's excited here friend. You stated there are more accurate pistols than a Glock. It is your opinion. Plenty of pistols, including Glocks are plenty accurate out of the box. Baring major flaw or defect, they will be infinitely more accurate than the shooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGunGuy View Post
Seriously... More accurate guns out there? Aren't Glocks, along with several other manufacturers used by competitive shooters? If YOU are not accurate with a Glock - that's one thing. But how can you seriously say as a generalization they are not accurate?
I agree x10.

Some people don't like the "grip angle". I never understood that. What I can attest to is when I went with SIG's for a while then went back to Glock, Glock felt different in my hands. Go out and shoot it and you'll forget what the word different means. When you drive a truck then get into a car or car to truck doesn't that feel different too? Do you just say "screw it" I need to do the natural thing that humans do every day in life anyways (adjust and adapt) to have this gun?

Obviously the OP is trying to find out what all the fuss is about. I think he should. Heck that's what I did. That's what a lot of people who swear by Glock did. Look where they are now.

As for the "accuracy" lol that makes me laugh. What ever happened to unbiased opinions?
"It's not accurate in my hands" would work just fine. You're used to something else I guess. Happens. Took me 1 range session and 1 training class to get used to my Glock the way I wanted to, as a defensive pistol.

Also, what's to stop you from adding the same parts that make a Glock 17L or 34 (which are mainly competitive pistols) into a Glock 19? You have that option too. It'd be silly but you can.

Seriously one of the cheapest guns to maintain.

• easy to maintain
• not high maintenance
• lightweight
• "grip angle" helps with recoil due to being lightweight
• plenty of aftermarket parts and factory parts floating around the web
• expendable (although I'd still be upset)
• accurate (can be in anyone's hands if they want it to be)
• easy operation (just a mag release and slide stop)
• higher capacity than most
• so easy to find an armorer for

I can go on and on. Here are some pics. Lets lighten up

Old July 7, 2013, 08:16 AM   #21
Spats McGee
Staff

Let's be clear: I don't want to like Glocks. I've spent ~25 years not wanting to like them. They're plastic, ugly and soulless. They're also light, reliable, and decently priced. Harumph.

With that said, I've had very limited experience with the G19, and all I can say is that I don't want to like Glocks, but that's the model that might force me to begrudgingly change my mind. A few years ago, a buddy loaned me his to carry while one of my pistols was in the shop. I carried it for a few weeks, but never shot it. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I got to put ~150 rounds through a Gen4 G19. I'm much more a "1911 guy" than I am a "Glock guy," obviously, but here are my opinions, worth exactly what you've paid:
1) Reliability -- Certainly, the Glocks have a stellar reputation for reliability. My experience was limited to ~150 rounds of 115 grain FMJ and a little bit (10 rds) of 147 grain BJHP. The only malfunction was clearly ammo-related. (One of the 115 grain FMJs actually separated from the case during feeding.) Other than that, the G19 ran like clockwork.
2) Simplicity -- When I got the G19 in hand, I field stripped, cleaned and lubed it. Now, y'all don't know me, but as a general proposition I'm what you might call "mechanically reclined." I'm not a tinkerer. With that said, getting the G19 down for cleaning might as well have been covered in "Field Stripping for Dummies." I've never found it difficult to strip or clean a 1911, but the G19 was so, so easy. Reassembly was easier than a 1911, IMO.
3) Accuracy -- Are there more accurate guns out there? Yeah, probably. Is a G19 accurate enough for HD/SD? Absolutely. My first group at the range with the G19 wasn't great, but the RSO was kind enough to give me a few pointers, and my groups shrank to acceptable proportions in very short order. Frankly, I'm convinced that the G19 is probably more accurate than I am capable of shooting.
4) Weight vs. capacity -- I carried that G19 that belonged to my buddy for a few weeks, and it was comfortable. Mind you, I'm not uncomfortable carrying full-sized in steel, but I have to believe that the G19 is even more comfortable. I could carry that all day without a second thought.
5) Caliber -- *sigh* I really and truly like the .45 acp. It's my most favorite of the SD handgun rounds, plain and simple. However, I consider 9mm to be "within the window of acceptable performance." I wouldn't feel undergunned if I had to carry a G19.

I don't want to like Glocks, but my experience with those G19s was very favorable. I haven't researched prices all that much, but I did research G19s a while back, in comparison with the SR9, SR9C, M&P9 and 9C, etc. $499 sounds like a pretty decent price and if you don't like it, I wouldn't expect you to have much trouble selling it. Honestly, I doubt you'd even take much of a loss. The used Glocks that I saw seemed to have held their value pretty well.
Old July 7, 2013, 08:43 AM   #22
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcub View Post
I dont care for the 19. I'd rather have the g26 for concealment and yes, less recoil.

I'd rather have the g17 for fullsize/high cap.
The G26 has less recoil than the 19?...

If I had to choose only two 9mm glocks (which I have) then I would take the G34 because it gives a slightly longer sight radius than the G17, and the G19 because it offers more capacity than the G26, is easier to control, and is just as easy to conceal. The 26 really is not much smaller than the 19, and few people who try both will give the 26 a clear advantage for conceal carry. It is still too big for pocket carry, and if you are going to go IWB then you might as well take the gun with a little more capacity and controllability.

If I had to choose only one Glock.... It would be my Glock 19.
Old July 7, 2013, 09:12 AM   #23
Billy the Kidder

We have all those other models in the family, except an XD (have an XDs .45), I never notice the difference.
Old July 7, 2013, 09:33 AM   #24
Cemo

Sounds like you already have your mind made up on buying the G19. Go for it. You can't go wrong, if you shoot it for awhile then decide you don't like it you can sell it and recover most or sometimes all of your purchase price or do a trade on a different gun. Everybody is intitled to their own opinion and with that being said, in my opinion a gun collection is not complete without a good revolver, a 1911 and a Glock.
Old July 7, 2013, 10:00 AM   #25
TunnelRat

Le sigh. This thread makes me sad. I think the Glock 19 is just about the perfect size and capacity around. But the last two I owned kept beaning me in the face with brass, especially my Gen 4. I think it's somewhat aggravated by the fact that my cross-eye dominance forces me to hold the pistol at a bit of an angle, but it still only happens with Glocks. If it works for you it's probably a quintessential firearm.

Edit: The Gen 4 texture was almost worth the beaning. Idk why, but I love that texture and the small reduction in grip size really made a difference for me.
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; July 7, 2013 at 10:10 AM.
Closed Thread