The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 2, 2013, 10:34 PM   #1
nanewt02

S&W 500 magnum grip

im customizing my model 500 by removing the compensator, giving the gun a high polish finish etc. i was wondering if these grips would fit it,

http://www.grips4guns.com/revolver/s...m_1713005.html

some people say it is the same as the k/l round butt frame but im not sure, it does look like it though
Old April 3, 2013, 07:37 AM   #2
buck460XVR

Yes....it will fit the gun. But I question how pleasant it will be shooting the gun after you remove the comp.
Old April 3, 2013, 09:38 AM   #3
nanewt02

I think the hard grips will have more of an effect on recoil than the compensator, recoil doesn't bother me, even rapid shooting the 500 grains, but the main reason to take the compensator off is because I like the classic look of the underlug squared off with the barrel
Old April 3, 2013, 10:35 AM   #4
Venom1956

Quote:
recoil doesn't bother me
said the man who hasn't reached his limit.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old April 3, 2013, 11:13 AM   #5
nanewt02

Lol well what would the limit be? I'm not sure there's much more power then the 500. Although I am working on a big bore safari rifle and the 250 pounds of recoil does frighten me
Old April 3, 2013, 04:16 PM   #6
Sharpsdressed Man

I have the 2 3/4" S&W 500 snubbie. I have not fired full house 500's yet, as I started with handloads and worked my way up. My loading is a 385gr. Remingtron JHP over enough H110 to get the bullet running 1120 fps chrono'd from the short barrel. This is not too bad from the standard rubber grips, but from the finger groove wood grips shown, five shots can draw some blood at the web/thumb if I don't do everything right. The wearing of shooting gloves would eliminate that, too, but I'm a bit of a purist. I could load it hotter, but I think even that load would get a bear's attention if necessary. A longer barrel, or heavier gun without a comp would be a bit more manageable, but be prepared: those comps DO reduce recoil a lot. I also like the clean look, and S&W has made some 500's without the comp, so it is nothing new. ........................... [IMG][/IMG]
Old April 3, 2013, 04:24 PM   #7
stanislav

Your snubbie is really nice. It is too short to have a compensator. By the way if you want to sell it anytime, write me a message.
Old April 3, 2013, 05:00 PM   #8
nanewt02

Wel just have a show and tell, see what the majority of the members opinions are on the gun when it's done, after seeing those wood grips I may change my mind on the white
Old April 4, 2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Venom1956

God whats the DB outta that snubbie barrel with light fast loads? ICK! No thanks! Thats like Plugs tape over ears then muffs territory.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old April 4, 2013, 02:26 PM   #10
kahrguy

Hey guys, he's gona figure it all out , revolver and african rifle. Then find a common sence midle ground for both.
Old April 4, 2013, 04:37 PM   #11
Sharpsdressed Man

My neighbor two doors down (about 150 yards) always knows when I crank off the S&W 500. He is a retired cop, and says it startles him every time, as it is that much more of a boom and blast than the usual 9mm's or .45's, etc. The 10mm and .38 Super can also have some healthy blast depending on the powder and load.
Old April 4, 2013, 06:30 PM   #12
nanewt02

Yeah safari rifle and 500, I like the big calibers, get over it. Certainly there are others out there
Old April 4, 2013, 06:47 PM   #13
buck460XVR

Quote:
Get over it, I must not know what I'm doing, better tell my happy customers I do work for

You work on guns for paying customers, yet you have to come to a internet gun forum for an answer about something as simple as grip fitment on a common frame?

Quote:
recoil doesn't bother me, even rapid shooting the 500 grains. I shoot about twenty rounds a year out of it
20 rounds a year....really? 4 whole cylinders full, eh? You really are a recoil junkie.

Sorry, it's just I'm a Paradox junkie........
Old April 4, 2013, 07:44 PM   #14
nanewt02

I shoot 20 rounds a year because they cost a fortune and I rarely have time to go shooting, I work on guns, mostly guts, and was just double checking before I forked out 80 bucks, but apperently I can't ask a simple question without someone being an ass. I mean for Christs sakes it was just supposed to be a simple question
Old April 5, 2013, 01:32 PM   #15
Inspector3711

I know a guy that removed the muzzle break from his 500 XVR. He wanted a gun that would hurt him. He max loaded some rounds for the first outing.

The grip sliced his palm, and the hammer ruined his cowboy hat. He had a lump as big as a golf ball on his noggin.

He got what he wanted.
Old April 5, 2013, 03:44 PM   #16
nanewt02

Well il start with mild loads to be safe , damn, the guy I bought it from actual burnt his arm from the gases coming from the cylinder
Old April 5, 2013, 06:54 PM   #17
wyobohunter

S&W 500 magnum grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanislav View Post
Smith & wesson 500 without compensator is like a car without tires. Yeah you still can turn the engine on, but not drive. Either the author of this post is a kid or really not very bright minded man. Don't ruin my favourite revolver with your stupidities.
I don't think he intends to do anything to "your" revolver. Chill out dude.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:15 PM   #18
TimSr

I can't help but wonder, but when you combine the phrases "rapid fire" and "20 rounds a year" it sounds like one really short range session unless you reload really, really slow!
Old April 5, 2013, 09:27 PM   #19
nanewt02

dont have a reloading kit, i hardly have had time to go shooting. i fire ALOT more than that one gun, i shoot my box and move on to the next,
Old April 6, 2013, 10:55 AM   #20
Sharpsdressed Man

Get a cheap reloading outfit for the .500. You will shoot and enjoy it more.
Old April 6, 2013, 12:35 PM   #21
buck460XVR

Quote:
I shoot 20 rounds a year because they cost a fortune and I rarely have time to go shooting, I work on guns, mostly guts, and was just double checking before I forked out 80 bucks, but apperently I can't ask a simple question without someone being an ass. I mean for Christs sakes it was just supposed to be a simple question
My first response was direct and polite. It wasn't until after you already got your attitude and told two other different members to "get over it" that my reply went south. Remember, you reap what you sow.

Do you know what a Paradox is? It's like saying you can't afford to pay for more than 20 rounds of ammo for a gun in a year, but then in the same sentence are ready to put $80 on a pair of grips that don't really belong on it. I'm thinking that and other similar statements, along with the poor grammar, lack of punctuation and appropriate capitalization in your posts makes folks leery of your authenticity. Get over it.
Old April 6, 2013, 02:55 PM   #22
nanewt02

fair enough, my apologies buck, but hey, everyone has there taste and i say the grips will look good on my gun and thats all that matters. bickering aside, thae compensator was really messed up, i finally got the damn barrel off last night, and in a few weeks il have no use for the barrel removal tool i made, if for some reason anyone wants it just PM me.
Old April 6, 2013, 06:21 PM   #23
Sharpsdressed Man

I think the manner in which S&W chose to mount the interchangeable compensator in was not a good design. When I had the four inch model, the first thing I did was turn the lock screw the wrong way, thinking I was tightening it, and I had a loose compensator. I'm glad I didn't strip the screw. There HAS to be a better way to mount the darn thing. Why doe it have to rotate in the slot? A squared up comp slot would at least keep it from turning.
Old April 7, 2013, 06:01 PM   #24
Mike Irwin
Staff

Another outbreak of bad manners in this thread will not end well for the instigator.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 11, 2013, 06:22 PM   #25
nanewt02

there she is, for those interested