The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 3, 2009, 05:29 AM   #1
Acenes

Newbie question about tumbler

Have been shooting forever, but have just recently decided to reload.
I bought a Cabela's model 400 vibratory tumbler. The instructions say to only use it on a concrete pad, away from combustible materials. Now I understand that they do not want to be liable in case I burn my house down, but, in practical use, what is the best way to mount it on a bench? Is it really that dangerous that I have to worry about my house burning down, so that I have to use it out in the garage?
Like I said, I'm new at this. Any advise from those that have some seasoned experience would be appreciated.
Old March 3, 2009, 07:05 AM   #2
ShootingNut

Acenes,
Welcome to the world of reloading!
I use a Berrys Tumbler, with Cabellas media for great results. I set mine on my basement concrete floor, only because of it being the most solid surface.
Personally I have never heard or read, of anyone having a fire problem with their Tumbler. Of course anything electrical, could possibly short out and I suppose media would be great fuel for a fire. Myself, I wouldn't be paranoid about it though.
Happy reloading, it does get into your blood. Saves me money, and I always have a few thousand rounds of various calibers ready for the range.
Around here, Small Pistol Primers are nowhere to be found. Oline vendors seem to be all out and backordered as well. Been told it's a national shortage.
Best regards,
SN

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...requestid=7965
Old March 3, 2009, 08:33 AM   #3
Uncle H

Tumblers

I use a Lyman and 2 Midways and have 2-3 extra bowls. They all sit on a sturdy display table I got out of a retail store for free. I just put towels under them to prevent "walking" and to redice the noise a little. They're all hooked up to an outlet with a countdown timer so I can set it and forget it.
Old March 3, 2009, 09:43 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

one Dillon, one Midway

I place mine on a 14" x 20" masonite sheet on the floor (I only run one at a time).

I do not place any combustible materials under or near them.

Worked so far ("Over One Million Served").
Old March 3, 2009, 10:54 AM   #5
mkl

I've got the Lyman Turbo Tumbler, and it tends to walk a little on slick surfaces.

I fixed that problem by using a piece of that rubber "non-slip" shelf lining material under the tumbler. Still leaves plenty of room for air circulation.

You can find the rubber shelf lining material at any RV or marine store, and it is carried in many grocery stores. I think I've seen some at Northern Tools also.
Old March 3, 2009, 11:26 AM   #6
ZeSpectre

Having a smoke detector somewhere in the area is never a bad idea either.
(hey, they are pretty cheap these days).
Old March 3, 2009, 01:46 PM   #7
CrustyFN

I have the same tumbler and am very happy with it. I normally set in on the concrete floor in the garage because that's where I do everything anyway. I have set it on my wooden work bench and let it tumble there without any problems. What you don't want to do is set it on carpet or anything like that to try and make it quieter because you will block off the air and over heat the motor. Also there is a lot of bad dust in the tumbler and I wouldn't want that in my house anyway.
Rusty
Old March 3, 2009, 07:01 PM   #8
oneounceload

My Thumler's Tumbler is sitting on the wood top reloading bench. It has been on a wooden top reloading bench for over 20 years - never a problem - keep the opening around the motor clear, don't overload the drum so the motor overheats, and you should have no problems.....I'm sure some corporate lawyer was earning his pay that day
Old March 3, 2009, 09:37 PM   #9
Storm52

I use 2 RCBS tumblers and both are on the workbench. They do have a tendency to 'walk' but as the others have suggested that is easily fixed. The combustible issue probably has to do with the dust. Corn cob and walnut shell media both kick up dust and that dust is highly flammable. If you have ever witnessed a grain elevator explosion, you catch my drift. I put a dryer sheet in my media and that really helps keep the dust to a minimum.
Be safe with your new hobby and enjoy!
Old March 4, 2009, 01:18 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

If it has rubber foot pads, it should stay put. I have never seen the need to attach one to a bench.

I use a piece of sheetmetal on carpet, with the tumbler on top. Even on carpet, it doesn't walk around. (Just don't every put the tumbler itself on carpet, or stack rags around it. They need airflow to the motor.)
Old March 4, 2009, 02:01 AM   #11
Acenes

Thanks for the responses. I kinda figured some lawyer was just paranoid, I plan on making sure it's got plenty of airflow, I just couldn't imagine them getting THAT hot.
Good to know about the media dust and the dryer sheet.
Thanks all.
Old March 4, 2009, 06:03 PM   #12
blue dingo

I tried that drier sheet yesterday and it just balled up and seemed to inhibit the swirl. Midway #1292 and Frankford Arsenal Case Tumbler (mfg date 12/03/2002)
Old March 4, 2009, 07:11 PM   #13
Storm52

Blue: Cut the sheets into one-fourths and use a couple pieces. Never had issue with balling up.