The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 24, 2005, 07:25 PM   #1
maxim311

Deer Hunting

is it practical to try and take down a small deer with a semi-auto .22 LR?
Old July 24, 2005, 07:54 PM   #2
Dean C

Not legal in Washington.
dean
Old July 24, 2005, 08:07 PM   #3
buffalo_bore

Not ethical anywhere.

Chad Sexton is a badass.
Old July 24, 2005, 09:12 PM   #4
impact

Yah not legal in Texas ether. Before you decide you want to hunt you need to read up on your state laws.
Old July 24, 2005, 09:23 PM   #5
mete

Only if you're a poacher !!!
Old July 24, 2005, 09:26 PM   #6
xXStarScreamXx

Horrible.
Old July 24, 2005, 09:27 PM   #7
SCCop

Don't even think about it. Personally I wouldn't go below .270 but I know some disagree and no way on .22 anything.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt
Old July 24, 2005, 09:34 PM   #8
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Absolutely, positively NOT. .22LR's a great little round for plinking and the range, but the only thing I'll kill with it is rats at the county dump.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old July 24, 2005, 10:35 PM   #9
MeekAndMild

It would be cruel to use on a deer sized animal, unless you're talking about those little Vietnamese deer that are about the size of a small terrier.
Old July 25, 2005, 12:52 PM   #10
zeisloft

It is not legal, but a .22lr will work. I have shot countless hogs with a .22 up to 190# (never tried anything larger, kinda figured 150 was the upper limit), as with everything else, shot placement. I'm not advocating you do it, just saying that yes, a .22 lr will work.
Old July 25, 2005, 01:06 PM   #11
just one question

Well

If i was poor and had no food i would do it.

Violating seasons and baglimits is unethical but its more unethical to let your family starve.
Old July 25, 2005, 06:42 PM   #12
Ruger # 1

Unless one is starving to death, shooting a deer with a .22 rimfire is absolutely assinine. I find it quite irritatating that anyone would seriously contemplate doing such an irresponsible thing.Excluding a perfect brain shot(unlikely) a deer shot with a .22 is going to run a long way without leaving any blood trail, to eventually die of hemorraging, or worse, infection.Either is a waste. If you can't respect your prey enough to strive for a clean kill, STAY OUT OF THE WOODS!
Old July 25, 2005, 11:24 PM   #13
impact

Ruger # 1 I killed a deer one time with a 22lr. I found this nice looking buck laying on the side of the road that was hit by a car. Both back legs broke. it was a bad deal! The deer tried to run but the only thing he had to push with on his two back legs were bones. The legs were broke at the upper part of the leg. The mussels pulled up to expose about 3 inches of bone. The lower legs were just hanging on by skin.

I took my marlin 22 and shot the deer in the side of the head at about 30 yards. with some subsonic ammo I had loaded in the gun. It was lights out! The deer did not suffer at all! No I did not take the buck. I could have gotten in trouble for shooting the deer. But I would have got in trouble if I put that deer in my truck. I really don't see it as a waste. many other animals had a good feed I bet. When I got home I made a toast to the buck with a glass of port wine. I toast the buck for having a good life and being the giver of new life.

It's a ritual I do when I take (kill) game.
Old July 26, 2005, 12:09 AM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

One of my father's south Texas tales:

Back in the post-WW II period, lotsa guys went deer hunting on south Texas ranches. Many of them just wanted to get away from Momma, drink whiskey and play poker. Ranch hands would go sit out all night by a stock tank and wait, and if a really large buck showed up, they'd shoot him between the eyes.

Mr. Whiskey-Poker would commonly pay $5 per point to have something to take home and show Momma what a good boy he'd been.

Yeah, a .22 will kill a lot of stuff. Trouble is, it's too easy for it to not be a clean, ethical kill...

Art
Old July 26, 2005, 12:29 AM   #15
Twycross

Seeing as there is debate over whether or not the .243 is an acceptable deer cartridge, I am certain that the .22LR is not. In a survival situation, yes, but otherwise, absolutely no. Unless you find yourself in a scenario like impact's, with a stationary target at very close range, and to the back of the head. And as has been pointed out, it is illegal in many states.
Old July 26, 2005, 11:42 AM   #16
artsmom

Many old timers used nothing else, but then, they HAD nothing else.

If you are writing a story, then you can have the character shoot the deer with a .22 L.R.

If it is real life, then you need to get a better choice or forget about shooting a deer. There is a reason why millions of hunters paid the extra money for a centerfire rifle to hunt deer.
Old July 26, 2005, 09:37 PM   #17
22-rimfire

Legal: Not anywhere I am aware of in the US
Ethical: Hell No!
Humane: Big Negatory!!
Cute: Not even close!
Smart: Assinine
Why ask the question here: Dumber
Old July 26, 2005, 10:23 PM   #18
Willis

toast

IMPACT, I like your toast. I will start doing it also.

Willis