The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 26, 2015, 07:34 PM   #1
goochster

stoeger cougar rocks

I was all set to buy a sr9 and spotted this da/sa stoeger cougar.. Shot it today..excellent gun!! easy breakdown and dead accurate. anyone else shoot this gun? reminds me of and old beretta 92 I use to own. Double action is pretty hard pull but single action feels like less than 5lbs and reset is a joy.
Old June 26, 2015, 07:51 PM   #2
Marty8613

I've been eyeing this model but my wife won't let me have anything called a "cougar".
Old June 26, 2015, 08:39 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

Congrats! They look like a really nice handgun. I haven't had the opportunity to handle one yet but it's on my "to do list".

What caliber did you get?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 26, 2015, 09:56 PM   #4
goochster

I got a 9mm because I have a lot of brass but I hear the 40 is awesome. It use to be made by Beretta has that rotating barrel.. I think it helps on recoil but a 9mm doesn't recoil much to begin with. I like the decocker and the fact that it will fire without a mag in. Plus it seems to come right back down to where you were siting at. I love the breakdown, turn a lever and slide the slide off and also a stainless steel guide rod instead of plastic. I ccw it and it is very comfortable even for its size. I might but the 45 in the future.
Old June 26, 2015, 10:03 PM   #5
mxsailor803

I've been interested in one of these for a couple years now. I might have to finally breakdown and get a 9mm "for the wife" lol.
Old June 26, 2015, 10:44 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
It use to be made by Beretta has that rotating barrel..
Kind of still is:
Quote:
The parent company, Beretta Holding, also owns Beretta USA, Benelli, Franchi, SAKO, Stoeger, Tikka, Uberti, and the Burris Optics company. The model Beretta 92FS is the primary side arm of the United States Army, Marine Corps and Air Force, designated the M9 pistol.
Stoeger makes their budget line of products and the Cougar fits there better than under the Beretta name.
They look good and I have read many great reviews of them. I have considered purchasng before, but for me there was really no benefit over my Glock.

Tags
9mm , stoeger couger