The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 25, 2013, 12:55 AM   #1
Dave1911

Noise Level Behind Shooter

I have been taking my son to an indoor range. The rules of this range state I must be in the box behind him (which make sense). It seems that the noise level standing behind him is incredibly uncomfortable. The box is only a few feet wide and has glass all the way up to the ceiling. I feel like I am getting an acoustic wave that is bigger than if I was shooting the weapon. I am wearing double ear protection (foam deals under 26 NR muffs) and I feel like I need even more. He is shooting 223 out of a 16" barrel and 38 special out of a 2" barrel. The 223 is killing me the most.

Has anyone ever noticed that is louder behind the shooter? I see that there are 33 NR muffs which may be on my list. Any suggestions?
Old August 25, 2013, 02:11 AM   #2
Theohazard

Is there a compensator or muzzle brake on the .223? They direct some of the blast to the sides and/or up, making it pretty loud for everyone involved.

I've often noticed that the weapon I'm shooting seems quieter when I'm the one shooting it, but I always figured that was just due to the fact that I'm concentrating on shooting and I'm not noticing the sound as much.

It's also possible that the acoustics of the range just happen to make it louder where you're standing. That's why I love shooting suppressed, especially with my rifle can; it makes a painfully loud AR-15 sound like a nail gun and is quieter than a .22. Ever since I started shooting suppressors I've probably drastically cut down on my hearing loss.
Old August 25, 2013, 03:45 AM   #3
SHE3PDOG

I'm thinking that it must just be the acoustics at your range. I tend to think that standing behind the shooter is the quietest, but once you are to the side of the gun the noise is deafening. Every once in a while during rifle qualification at the ranges on base, you'll be ever so slightly forward of someone else's muzzle while you both are shooting. That sound pierces right through the little ear buds we wear and will leave your ears ringing for a moment or two.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old August 25, 2013, 10:24 AM   #4
g.willikers

Maybe there's a concussion factor, due to the design of the range.
If so, that can be more disturbing than the sound.
Outdoor ranges are more weather dependent, but easier to live with.
Are there any in your area?
Old August 25, 2013, 06:17 PM   #5
4EVERM-14

The peek pressure from a .223 is around 60000 psi. The concussion shooting one in a confined area must be incredible. I wonder if any amount of ear protection would be sufficient.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old August 25, 2013, 07:43 PM   #6
iraiam

I go to an indoor range on occasion that has a 100 yrd 5 bay rifle range.

There was a guy there with a some kind of a semi-auto fairly short .308 with a muzzle device. The concussion from this firearm was shocking, not loud in a hearing sense with my hearing protection, but the concussion literally hit me, which made it very difficult to shoot. I'm usually not gun shy but this one really got to me.

I suspect you may be experiencing something similar.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason