The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 26, 2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Tucker 1371

DOH! Saiga 12 ProMag

So my parents got my 18yo brother a Saiga 12 for Christmas and I bought him a couple of ProMag 12 round drums, knowing full well PMIs rep and quality issues, and now I'm kicking myself. Neither of them makes it through a full load of 2 3/4" 7.5 shot federal without jamming. Sometimes it stovepipes and sometimes it fails to strip a shell from the mag.

Now the way I see it we have two options, sell them or find a way to improve them. Do they work better with 3" shells? Is there a way to make them feed better?

Also if it helps the gun also consistently stovepipes the final round of the 5 shot mag it came with so some of it could be the gun or the ammo.

Any and all suggestions considered and appreciated, thanks and God bless!
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old December 30, 2012, 10:32 PM   #2
Comanche

Saiga 12's like stick mags better.

Saiga's also like high brass shells for better cycling and they sometimes need gas port mods performed.

Spend some time on saiga12.com to answer all your questions.

Mine needed a lot of time spent on the gas ports and different gas plug configurations until it was comfortable shooting low brass rounds just as well as high brass.
Don't believe all the youtube videos for the magic gas pucks that work miracles on Saiga's......they sometimes need more work than bargained for.....this can be expensive too.
If I had it to do over again I would have bought one already converted from a reputable shop.

You might want to send it to a reputable shop that is familiar with saiga conversions and get the trigger conversion with pistol grip and gas mods done right.
They are pretty hit and miss in performance right out of the box and like I said...they like stick mags.

You can't run 3" shells in the drum mags Like you can sticks.

Here's my money pit.

Last edited by Comanche; December 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM.