The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 31, 2011, 10:21 AM   #26
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yeah... at this point... it is a matter of time albeit A LONG TIME but time just the same...

I am workin' on her... and look it even has a Gold trigger like so many "Fine gentlemen's guns"

I think it is high time ol' h-dogs geta a lazy man's gun that don't require a cardio workout to go bust off some shells...

Brent
Old May 31, 2011, 10:31 AM   #27
BigJimP

Hang in there man ...

I have a lot of guns ... ( more than I need - but don't ever tell my wife ! )and everytime I read a gun magazine or get into a discussion with a buddy about the pros and cons of any kind of gun ...my wife gets a little jumpy too ... but they always come around ....

I stopped the other day and looked at a new Honda Goldwing ...for a little over $ 30K out the door ...and she was less than impressed when she saw the brochure laying on the counter .../ but despite my obvious flaws ...she still puts up with me ....( and father's day is coming up ...) ...so leave a brochure laying around ...you never know, it might work ...
Old May 31, 2011, 10:36 AM   #28
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

AHHH YESSS!!! I forgot about the big "F" day...

Callin mossberg to get a catalog and see if they have a handy dandy brochure or 6 to strategically place... is there a etiquette limit on how many to place?

As for that "Wing"... They are a nice ride but I had no clue they were up to that sort of price... is it a custom variety? As for me, I would be enjoying the motor output too much... It is a good thing for Harley that most "wing" riders don't like to twist the wick and let the ponies run loose!

Brent
Old May 31, 2011, 11:50 AM   #29
TheKlawMan

Let's not pick on Hondas. I know little about them, even if I had what I believe was called a Super Hawk prior to going to Nam. I think it was a whopping 305 cc. I still miss my 1969 XLH (electric starter) Sportster. By the 70's the Japanese were kicking ass technologically and I marvel at what I see on the road these days. Get the bike, Jim.
Old May 31, 2011, 12:12 PM   #30
BigJimP

The Gold Wing I was looking at was the air-bag version / and it had all the options I'd want - GPS, CB, ( wide seats ), .... but I'd still add on some Drag Specialties stuff ...vs some of the OEM gingerbread that I thought was tacky...but I don't know if I want one or not ...( I've had quite a few bikes / sold my 98 Goldwing a few yrs ago because I wasn't riding it much ...) / if I lived in a drier climate ...I'd be tempted ..but I was just looking ... But it is amazing how big a reaction it got from her ...and it wasn't positive !!

but we digress from shotguns ....shhhh....

get that brochure on the shotgun ...tell her you're just looking, you love classy looking things, like her ...and remember 14kt gold, one size fits all, always makes a nice gift for her...and if it has a power cord, and plugs in, it is not a gift for a woman !!! ...and good luck...
Old May 31, 2011, 01:01 PM   #31
zippy13

Jim, I saw in another thread that your typical Tuesday at the range is rained out, again. In your neck of the woods isn't motor cycling season pretty much limited to the third weekend in August?
Old May 31, 2011, 04:38 PM   #32
BigJimP

Yes, but the Goldwing has heated seats / and heated grips too ...

but yes, maybe 10 dry weeks a year is the best we can hope for in the NW ...and that's why its probably not going to happen ...

but in terms of Brent's semi-auto ...I hope his odds are better on getting that gun ...
Old May 31, 2011, 04:54 PM   #33
TheKlawMan

Jim. Have you considered a side car? I always thought would be a blast, especially if it isn't too difficult to detach, and the wife might give in if you explain how she could have fun with you.
Old May 31, 2011, 05:15 PM   #34
lmccrock

To get back to shotguns....

Quote:
Well, Mossberg is claiming to be coming out with comp guns as a line. Might even see J.M's sig. on them. But I do not know if they are reconsidering the ported barrel thing
The 3-gun 930 will NOT have porting, because the features are known, but no availability has been announced. Oh, you can buy a 24" unported barrel as a replacement right now, but it is not yet sold on a gun.
Old May 31, 2011, 05:37 PM   #35
orangello

Thanks for this thread; i wondered about the porting that i saw on the Mossberg website. I've never shot a ported firearm and wondered about the unintended effects. I fear my aged 500A may need to be put on "lite duty" soon.
Old May 31, 2011, 07:58 PM   #36
zippy13

orangello,
The main difference you'll probably notice is less barrel rise will let you get on a second target quicker. You may feel a reduction in kick -- some do and some don't. As far as noise is concerned, I always shoot with ear plugs and have never really noticed any difference.

Expect to clean the plastic built-up, from the wads, out of the holes from time to time. An appropriate solvent like Shooters-choice will make the job a lot easier.
Old May 31, 2011, 08:12 PM   #37
oneounceload

My friend Zippy and BigJim are on one side of the porting and I am on the other.

As I posted earlier, the serious target guns do not come ported. If it is to reduce muzzle rise for a faster second shot, why does Browning port the top barrel when it is recommended to use the lower barrel first?

Even with plugs, the blast can easily be detected by folks on either side of you. Since muzzle blast vibration contributes to hearing loss through bones in the middle and inner ear, it is not something to ignore.

Drilling holes does nothing as far as actual recoil, it physically can't - whether someone can feel a reduction in perceived recoil is completely subjective with no data to substantiate it. Gun FIT is more critical.

Zippy, I have NEVER cleaned the holes on my 18 year old Browning - every time it gets a little gunk in them, the next shot tends to clear them out!

Like vent ribs, porting holes are great for collecting crud, even potentially corrosive gunk - yet another reason not to have them
Old June 1, 2011, 11:39 AM   #38
BigJimP

Our friend OneOunce is just a purist ....no porting, no ribs ...only shoots 7/8 oz loads ...or 3/4 oz loads in his 12ga's ...

It doesn't keep us from picking on him ...but its just fine.../and while his opinion is in the minority ...its good for the discussion/even if he is wrong !
( call my Browning Citori XS Skeet models ..not a serious target gun again... ...) ...and I'm going to come down there ....!! / and I'm not using a dremel to take the ribs off either ... ....and I'm not plugging up the ports in the top barrel ...even if I do shoot the lower barrel 95% of the time ...

As a note: I use pipe cleaners and shooters choice to clean the crud out of my porting once a month or so / its no big deal.
Old June 1, 2011, 12:34 PM   #39
oneounceload

Jim - I tried plugging them with black electrical tape - nope, didn't work.

I never said I didn't like ribs, let alone vented ones (and I won't even go near the baby backs with this) - I prefer a raised rib on my SxS, not a swamped one, and the vent does help somewhat with heat dissipation, but man does the gunk get in there - you never see a vent rib on a serious field gun because it can get snagged and gunked up.

As to your Brownings........ if you ever get a chance to shoot a Belgian and a Jap alongside each other, you'll understand what i have said all these times about barrels and pigs on shovels...............

Besides, I'm not wrong............
Old June 1, 2011, 01:24 PM   #40
BigJimP

Hey, I drive a Japanese car too ...what do you want from me.../ remember, there is a limit on what a "buffalo" will fit into as far as cars go ...( with some style at least ) ...

( my Citori XS Skeet models ...are my field guns ...) ....ribs and all ...

have a good one ....
Old June 1, 2011, 01:56 PM   #41
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneounceload
As I posted earlier, the serious target guns do not come ported.
Come now, 1-oz, you're beating a dead horse on this one. One of my Perazzis is factory compensated, and I never had anyone say it isn't a serious target gun. The reason some serious competition guns don't come with ports is the same reason pro bicycles don't come with pedals -- they are very individual features and are left up to the end user. If porting wasn't effective, why was it been banned, as a cheat, in some of the shooting sports? If all the comp guns came factory ported, they wouldn't be allowed in some of the international events and their marketability would suffer.

1-oz, you are fortunate that your ports seem to be self-cleaning, most aren't. Perhaps your sissy loads don't leave deposits.

I've shot a lot of targets in competition and have never heard anyone comment about ported guns being louder. Of course, all competitors wear ear protection. If you're in a duck blind right next to someone with a Cutts and you don't have ear protection, perhaps you should re-think your situation, Cutts or not.
Old June 1, 2011, 02:22 PM   #42
oneounceload

Zippy - yours is the first and only P gun I have ever heard that came factory ported - I have seen dozens, been able to try some and none had porting. looking at the Perazzi site as I write, they don't show it. While Perazzi will build you anything you want, porting is not something they seem to heavily advertise.

Maybe my light loads clean the ports better than your loads, my friend, but typically running a brush down the barrel takes care of whatever might be building up in there.

Don't know how much 5-stand you shoot, but our stations are close to one another and ported barrels, even with muffs, are noticeably louder

Just the way it goes I guess, y'all do what you want
Old June 1, 2011, 02:58 PM   #43
BigJimP

Sissy loads ...oh, oh ...( now his feelings are going to be hurt ...) ...

I will agree that sometimes a 5 stand stations get way too close to each other ...and with targets that are moving hard left or right ...some shooters tend to get way out in front of the cages ...and swing pretty hard to their left or right ...and a ported gun can blast the shooters next to them ...

but every time I've seen that be an issue ...its because the cages on the 5 stand were set way too close together ...where, in my opinion, they need to be a solid 3 yards apart ( like a Trap field ) ...to eliminate the noise issue. I don't shoot a lot of Trap - but I shoot next to ported guns on a Trap field all the time / and I don't find it an issue. I do find noise is an issue if someone wants to shoot an 18" barrel on a Trap field ...and I won't stand next to anyone shooting a gun like that on a Trap field.

I've seen some 5 stands ...where the stations are really close ...at around 5 or 6 feet ...and it is noisy .../ but that's a field layout problem ....not a porting problem, in my view.
Old June 3, 2011, 06:56 AM   #44
Queue

Is a ported barrel REALLY hot stuff or is it just "Frosting on a fritter"? I've never felt the need for one...
Old June 3, 2011, 07:02 AM   #45
Queue

<< Yes, but the Goldwing has heated seats / and heated grips too ...>>

Gawd, might as well buy a TOUR BUS. No offense... Just sayin'...

1950 panhead, nothing on it it goesn't need to run or be street legal.
Solo seat and P pad on a rigid frame.
Old June 3, 2011, 07:20 AM   #46
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
I've never felt the need for one...
Well the point of the thread was whether or not I should skip buying the gun due to it being a factory ported unit and no smooth bore shiny field barrels sans porting.

At this point I, with the opinions of all who replied, think I could live with the colander look.

If I find later that I just cannot stand the porting, I can hope they make a regular barrel by then or I will just JB Weld the holes and might even insert some mono fish line and have me some kitty whiskers... Then when I go sneaky snakin' around the place huntin' up feral cats, they might think me and the 930 are just one big ugly cat with a real long nose

As for the bike, my rigid riding days are 15-20 years behind me... Still like a hotrod bike but now the aura or style is replaced by a road hugger with high perfomance suspension, brakes and tires to back up stupid high horsepower...

Brent
Old June 3, 2011, 01:04 PM   #47
BigJimP

I hope you buy the ported gun ....and I think you'll like it !!