The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old June 10, 2009, 08:48 AM   #1
busted1200

Experience with Charles Daly

Alright, I've got to tell this story. I had an Armscor 12y youth rifle. It's a .22 single shot bolt action that I bought for $80 in '98. It was my sons first rifle when he was 5. Cheap rifle, but it shot good and provided many days of enjoyment for him. Still have the original box, paperwork, styrofoam inserts, inspection tag by some Philippino, and the plastic sleeve that the bolt was in. Rifle didn't have a scratch on it and looked new. Well last year I got it out for my other son to shoot. Something was messed up in the trigger housing and the bolt wouldn't cycle.

This rifle is a KBI import. I contacted them and they told me to send it in for repair which I did on 07-18-08. I sent a letter with my contact information and explained what was wrong with the rifle. 3 months go by and I heard nothing, so I called on 10-28-08 to check the status. Gentleman I spoke with on the phone said that they "were waiting on a bolt". After he made this statement, I thought that they were having one shipped to them and I was satisfied that my little single shot hadn't been forgotten about.

Well time goes by and this had totally slipped my mind until last week. Now it's been 11 months. Realizing that I still have not received the rifle or ever gotten an e-mail or phone call about it's status, I figured that I had better call and find out what is going on. Well the guy I spoke with in the Service department informs me that they were waiting on the bolt because it wasn't shipped with the rifle. I shipped the bolt with the rifle which is what I informed him and why would I ship a rifle back for repair and not send the bolt. "We get that a lot" he said. Well I couldn't convince him that the bolt was shipped with the gun and that maybe it got tossed out with the box and packing material I used. No.. he says...we go through everything before we throw it away. Well I don't have it because I shipped it back with the gun and why wasn't I notified of this, it's been 11 months. He said let me see what I can do. I tell him my home phone number has changed in the last couple of weeks and give him the new one. We'll give you a call is what I was told.

One week goes by and not a word from them. I called yesterday and spoke with the same guy, who tells me " we had a new bolt made at no charge" and "it's on the way back" I was polite in all conversations and never raised my voice, but I was persistent telling him that the bolt was shipped with the rifle and that I appreciate them making a new bolt. I wanted to know why that if they receive a rifle for repair and there is no bolt, then why wouldn't they call the sender and inform them. Why did it take 11 months with me having to call 3 times. His response " Look, your getting a new bolt at no cost" and "it's been shipped ". He then hung up. Kind of funny that they can manufacture a bolt in one week for a rifle that was made in the Philippians back in the late 90's. Haven't gotten the rifle back yet, so I will be interested to see if it's fixed. I think their customer service is pretty crappy (trying to be nice). I will never consider purchasing any of their products in the future from this experience.

I'm sure they get some rude customers and some that make mistakes, but this guy never gave me a chance. He had the attitude that I was either lying or wrong.

Now your thoughts please.....

Last edited by busted1200; June 11, 2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old June 11, 2009, 07:58 AM   #2
busted1200

I should have contacted them sooner and this probably could have been resolved long before now. What concerns me is what if someone sends something in for repair and later has some kind of major health issue or passes away. Are they just going to keep the gun forever and not try and contact anyone??

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; July 7, 2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: removal of response to removed post in support of "new" rule
Old June 12, 2009, 11:58 PM   #3
busted1200

response posted on THR

Old Today, 11:15 AM #573
Charles Daly

busted1200, thank you for posting your experience with our Customer Service, and I honestly mean that. Although it brings to light the terrible way you were treated, it brought to my attention something that I would never have known about.

You were treated terribly. No matter what happened with your bolt you should have been contacted immediately and a follow-up contact should have been made when your gun was sitting in our service department for months with no resolution.

I apologize for the way you were treated. This morning we had a meeting with our Customer Service manager and he was informed (again) that his attitude was unacceptable. He has been instructed to modify his behavior and was told to treat our consumers with the utmost respect.

I can assure you that we have taken your post quite seriously and have taken steps to insure that this sort of thing will not happen again.

Again, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Sincerely,

Manufacturers, Importers and Distributors of Charles Daly and other fine firearms.
Old June 13, 2009, 12:00 AM   #4
busted1200

my reply back

Mr. Kassnar,

I know your busy, especially in these times, and it shows a lot about your passion for your company by taking the time to monitor these forums and respond. More executives should follow your lead, they probably could learn alot about their company.

I received the rifle back today and everything appears ok.