The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 23, 2009, 04:00 PM   #26
Quincunx

+1 on the .257 Roberts. No special reason that others haven't mentioned, and in truth it has no magical advantage over other, similar rounds. It's just a mild-recoiling, reasonably powerful round that IMHO has a certain panache. Good enough reason for me!
Old March 23, 2009, 04:09 PM   #27
SilentSoul

A lot of good information, im not even sure where to start in response to all of it

one thing that caught my eye, a few people mentioned and i never thought of actually, for some reason anyway.. it seems like the perfect solution, BUY MORE GUNS i was, unwittingly attempting to do something i know is not completely possible, have one rifle that will do everything, it may not be the most cost effective way of doing things, but i would no complain one bit, having to buy another rifle to hunt another prey, you can never have too many, right?.. well maybe

i have considered my 870 for deer, since my cousin took his first deer last year with his semi-auto 12g, full choke 00 buckshot at about 30 yards, the only problem is that my 870, with a full choke and 00, has a hard time getting a "basketball" size spread at 40 yards, the barrel is just too short, which could easily be remedied with a new barrel, i sold the factory barrel when i replaced it, was suppose to be my "home defense" type weapon.. just turns out that i love it so much i use it for other things, i have spent a lot of time shooting it, getting comfortable and trying to find its limitations, as well as what i could do with it, hence the rifled choke and slugs "testing"

that said, i cant bring myself to feeling comfortable with a shotgun in my hands, for my first deer hunt, maybe at some point, when i have a better idea of whats going on out in the bush, but until then i think i will carry a rifle, although im still not sure which one, even more so now a lever gun has a big appeal, i have fired them on a number of occasions, they put a smile on your face like no other firearm, and the .30-30 is a proven round, no question

i do plan to own a lever gun, but for now i think i will get a bolt gun, its just what i have my heart set on, so to speak, its to bad none of the rifles i mentioned are chambered in .30-30.. why is that anyway? As for what has my attention right now, the 6.5 rounds seem very interesting, i dont know much about them, have no idea what the 6.5x55 is, but i am snooping around to find out more, likewise the 6.5 "creedmooe" caught my eye, being the only 6.5 i can find the m77 "hawkeye" chambered in, anyone have any advice on this cartridge? if that would suffice for my needs.. and its not difficult to find ammunition for it of course, that may be the way i go, nothing wrong with breaking away from the norm, the "cool factor" of people asking.. what the hell your putting down range

ammunition is another thing, i am trying to frequent local gunstores, and anywhere that sells ammunition, to see what kind of availability some calibers have, i dont mind having to order it online and waiting for shipping, as long as the price isnt too crazy on it, and the "newer" calibers scare me a bit, i jumped on the .17hmr band wagon when it came around, i am very happy i did.. i love my Savage, but i was worried that i would drop $300 on a gun that.. one day may have nothing to be fed, i don't think this is an unfounded worry in this case, unless the "creedmoor" has been around longer than i think, and i don't know a lot about how some calibers go "extinct" and why some don't

i like the basics of the creedmoor, i don't suppose its too risky since at least one reputable manufacture is producing it? not to mention rifles being chambered for it, though that doesnt mean it wont, one day go the way of the t-rex, if no one shoots it.. they stop making it?

thanks for all the helpful advice, its giving more a lot more to think about, i am trying to put effort into this, not just jump right in and start shootin

"If you want to save your eyes close them. If you want to save your life keep them open."-Unknown?
Old March 23, 2009, 05:57 PM   #28
cracker31

your tagline says it all

Soul,
your line at the bottom of your post says it all. A .308 is an excellent choice for just about everything. Unless you are shooting past 400yds most everything listed (except the 12ga and 30-30) will do the trick, you have to know your personal limitations and unless you practice beyond 200yds or at least know your ballistics like the back of your hand don't take the shot.
Old March 23, 2009, 06:39 PM   #29
Buzzcook

The 6.5x55 Swede is the standard caliber for the Swedish Mauser. There are very few people that have used it that don't like the heck out of it.
It isn't chambered in as many rifles in the US as in Europe. So you'll have to look a while before you find one. CZ America supports that round and their rifles are worth looking at.
I'm sure other people will chime in. If you do go with the 6.5x55 you'll be happy with it.
Old March 23, 2009, 06:44 PM   #30
longranger

You answered you're own ?,do yourself a favor and get the rifle you like in 30-06 you can shoot 110gr-220gr bullets. It is the closest to being all things for most purposes.Availability of ammo is crucial these days, you will be able to purchase 06 ammo just about anywhere.You can add additional "boutique" calibers later.May I suggest a T/C Contender or Encore then you can shoot any caliber you would ever want to.
Old March 24, 2009, 03:55 AM   #31
SilentSoul

Bright and early this Tuesday morning, even though it is indeed still dark out at 4:30, i called a friend at a local pawnshop that deals in a lot of Ruger and Savage rifles, he actually has a Hawkeye on the rack, in .308... however, it is the "tactical" version, i really like the Hogue stocks, the caliber is suitable for what i want i suppose, and its rather short and maneuverable, i don't really desire a "tactical" rifle for hunting.. but aside from the two-stage trigger, which im told is very nice, it is not much different than any other Hawkeye is it?

i am going to see it in person this afternoon, and if i like it, i may have him sit it aside for me until next month, when i have the money to purchase it, hes cutting me what i think is a good deal, $900 out the door, brand new, which is at the top of my budget but still not over it, he also has quite a selection of rifles of the Savage flavor, my 93R17 has been a great rifle for years now, i will check out everything he has, hopefully within a few more weeks i will have made my final decision

i suppose i am going to take the path of "buying more than one" it seems so obvious to me now, if i do go with the .308 first, i think it will serve me well, if the need does arise for something different, i will spend more time researching and add to my little family

thanks for all the advice so far, it has not gone unnoticed, i may not have directly replied to every tip, but rest assured its all knocking around inside my head, i will be sure to let everyone know what i decide on, when the time comes

"If you want to save your eyes close them. If you want to save your life keep them open."-Unknown?
Old March 26, 2009, 03:55 AM   #32
SilentSoul

Update

I am now the proud owner of a Ruger m77 Hawkeye Tactical, in .308, brought it home last night and spent most of the time getting familiar with it and drooling over it, so i did not get around to posting

I am up bright and early again in anticipation of heading out to the boonies later, i have a RedHead "Pursuit" 4-12x40 scope on it for now, its just one i had.. i plan to buy a better scope later, but for now this one will do just fine, and i have 150 rounds to put down range for a good break in and siting, i used a laser bore sight to get it close at 50 yards, then adjusted to what should be 100... we'll see

thanks for bearing with me, i feel pretty confident about this setup already, fired one round into a pond, a "test" fire felt really nice, recoil was very smooth and comfortable with 180 grain cheapo core-lokt, i will give further impressions later.. i am already in love with the trigger though

Old March 26, 2009, 07:34 AM   #33
CAWDORRDL

Congratulations and good luck with your new purchase. I have not been on the forums for a few days, but I just got caught up on your original question. I have not hunted for a few years, but am getting ready to start up again with my son, we live in New Jersey so shotguns only, but I am originally from Maine and that is where I did all of my hunting.

I have been fortunate to be able to shoot a couple of the guns you mention, they are all good choices. But the rifle that I bought and have used since I was 14 is the Marlin 336CS in 30-30. You did mention that you might go with a lever gun, but no one mentioned that Marlin in the 336 configuration is also chambered for the harder hitting, although still not as far reaching .35 Remington. From what I have read, the .35 would fill the bill for you as a brush gun while hunting both deer and hog to include also black bear. Plus the availability of ammo is a little more common than some of the other suggestions. And Marlin just in the past couple of years has come out with a .308 MarlinExpress caliber that is getting real good reviews.

Obviously I am a lever gun type of guy, but I too am in the market for a long range gun, just not for hunting, but for some competition. With that, Savage is a make that I am looking at too because I shoot left handed in a right handed world.

Anyway, that is just my two cents and again good luck with your new purchase,

Roger

PS If I offended anyone with my opinion on caliber choice, please remember I was only suggesting another route, not putting down anyones favorites.

R
Old March 26, 2009, 07:46 AM   #34
DiscoRacing

if all your worried about is enough to kill a deer... without killing your body parts.... .223 or .243 is plenty.... both will kill a whitetail...depends on which is the smallest that your state will allow for deer.. in wisc was .243 but here in wv is .223... i have one of each. .... but... still.. my deer rifle is a 30.06
Old March 26, 2009, 07:48 AM   #35
skydiver3346

Fisherman66:

Yes, it is very hard to argue with choosing a 6.5x55, excellent choice for sure.
Old March 27, 2009, 05:31 AM   #36
SilentSoul

I am immensely pleased with this rifle < that grin doesn't come close to expressing the smile i have on my face at the moment, i don't know anything about measuring group size, but at 100 yards on paper, it puts 3 rounds into a circle the size of a quarter (25c) the other 2 rounds were about 1/2" to an inch off, but that was my fault.. the rifle can shoot better than me at this point, but thats what practice is for

it is very comfortable for me to shoot, feels natural in my hands, the bolt is a little "catchy" still, but i assume thats because its new and has not been cycled much, everyone tells me it will get smooth over time

I can't really think of anything to say about it, which is good in my book, no surprises, its exactly what i was hoping it would be.. now i just have to find out exactly what round i should put through it for deer , i got it sighted in with 180grain core-lokt, then tried a box of Federal "gold medal" match grade stuff, with a little adjusting i got some good groups, more than i would need for a shot on a deer at the distance i will be taking them

I am not sure if its legal to take a .223 for deer here, i know a few places don't allow you to take them into their hunting grounds locally, but either way, i would not trust the .223's killing ability given a bad shot... not that i think i would miss, but you never know what could happen, if i miss my spot i want something that will cause enough damage to still get the job done before i loose the deer, but i did not want something that was brutal/expensive to shoot a lot, because i plan to spend a lot of time at the range so i don't miss

I still plan to get some other rifles for different setups/situations i may decide to embark upon, a good levergun is on the top of my list now.. but i am probably going to go for a handgun first, after i save up some more money that is

Old March 27, 2009, 09:25 AM   #37
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

While others will give you the exact spec... (think leap year)
1moa is one inch from outside edge to outside of 2 shots aimed at one point at 100 yards this measurement goes back the laying invisible lines on the earth as lats and longs...
Good group... now go do that with 10 3-5 round groups and go to the dentist for a few shots of novacaine to wipe the unbreakable smile off yer mugg... makes folks nervous!
Brent