The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 13, 2015, 07:24 AM   #1
Kerwin67

S&w 38 top break Identification and value

I came across a s&w top break 38, serial number 5104. This gun has no trigger guard is a five shot and chambered in 38 it's in poor condition missing grips top is loose and nickel peeling, anyone know it's value or have a manufacture date?
Old June 14, 2015, 01:31 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

There are three S&W models that could fit that description, the Single Action Model No. 2, First Model (S&W terminology of the period is VERY confusing), aka the "Baby Russian", the Single Action Model No. 2, Second Model, and the Single Action, Model No. 2, Third Model with a spur trigger (they normally had a trigger guard), aka the "Mexican model".

While any of the three could bring good prices if in perfect or near perfect condition, your description makes it unlikely that it would bring top dollar. Good pictures would help in an evaluation, though.

Jim
Old June 14, 2015, 07:49 PM   #3
RJay

Well, don't know, with out pictures it is hard to give any value, no let me restate that , it is impossible to give any valid value. but, this is just myself thinking, I wouldn't have bought it even as a project gun. If the hinge is loose, it is probably cracked or stretched beyond repair. Reproduction grips can be found but the trigger guard? unless it is a spur trigger. With out pictures and just going on your description I would say it had little value other than for parts.
Old June 14, 2015, 11:23 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Ooops! I assumed the OP meant that the revolver had a spur trigger, not that the trigger guard is missing. So we need pictures.

Jim