The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 7, 2011, 11:50 PM   #1
QuickDeadEye

Mossberg maverick 88 poor mans shotgun...

I have had my mossberg for many years and before that it belonged to my brother. Him having the gun for 5+ years as well when I received the 88 it was worn like any great hunting gun but was smooth as a bowling alley lane... Shot great and I only paid like $80 for it.. Some years later I looked the 88 up to see what it was worth for ****s and giggles. At that time they were $159.99 still not a bad price for a simple and reliable shotgun. Well months later I was gun shopping with a buddy who was wanting to find a old truck shotgun. we passed thru many pawn shops finding only high mis priced shotguns. Well the last place we came to was a new pawn shop that was right out side of town that had walls of shotguns.. My buddy asked the clerk what's the cheapest gun you have and the clerk replies pulling an 88 up over the counter brand new in the box saying this POS is as low as they get. The guy slandering the guns name upset me for I had never had a problem out of the guns nor had I ever seen any one have problems.. I told the man they may be cheap and simple but that does not mean that they are a piece of crap.. The gun is simple and they work.. Just tired of the mossberg name catching a rap for the price.. Any one else feel the same way?
Old September 8, 2011, 01:18 AM   #2
mongo356

The only problem I have ever seen or heard from any Mossberg owner is the Plastic safety button (have seen one broken one)

Otherwise I own and use a few different Mossbergs for the reasons you stated. They are a great value and perform great.

Same story for the Maverick, I would not be scared of them at all except I like the top mounted safety (more lefty/ambi friendly).

Try not and sweat it....many people feel they have to pay more just to keep up an "elite image" My question to the clerk would be if you feel they are junk why are you selling sub-standard merchandise to customers?
Old September 8, 2011, 10:45 AM   #3
PigFarmer

I have never had a mechanical issue with a Mossberg but have had some trouble with the camo peeling off the barrell after less than a season of duck hunting.
Old September 8, 2011, 01:25 PM   #4
John L. Smith

I bought a maverick 88 a couple of years ago and have had no problems with it. This past year my 13 year old grandson out grew his youth 20 ga and took over the 88. The only thing about it I didn't like was the safety.
Thought enough of it that I bought one for my son.
Old September 8, 2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Sarge

I picked up the back half of an 88 at a pawn shop awhile back, ordered an 8-shot barrel & tube from Mossberg, and ended up with a Mosserick that shoots pretty well with anything you feed it.

The 88 Short Block Project

Heck even I built a 3-shot plug for it & killed a few doves with it today.