The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 5, 2012, 02:51 PM   #1
GaryH

.22 revolver ejection problems

I have a Taurus .22 revolver that has problems ejecting spent cartridges. This has been a problem for as long as I've had this gun. At one point I've dressed down small burrs in the chamber from where someone had dry fired it too much. That worked sorta, now it's happening again even after a fresh cleaning. I don't dry fire it, but I have snapped it some with spend cartridges in the cylinders. I love shooting this gun. I have heard of using a reamer on the cylinders to clean them up, but I don't necessarily want to buy a reamer for this.

Any suggestions?
Old November 5, 2012, 07:11 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

If the problem is a burr at the back of the chamber caused by dry firing, then the problem is in the gun allowing the firing pin to go forward far enough to contact the edge of the chamber. That should not happen in a modern revolver.

A burr like that can be swaged out (preferred) or just filed off. If it is small, filing carefully with a half round file should work.

The real solution would be to return the gun to the factory or an authorized service center to have a new cylinder installed and the excess firing pin protrusion fixed. Contact Taurus and see what they say.

If a burr is not causing the problem, the chambers may be dirty or rough. Again, you can try the factoy rep, or use a slotted cleaning rod and some crocus cloth to smooth out the chambers.

Jim
Old November 5, 2012, 07:24 PM   #3
spacecoast

Also, try some different ammo. Wolf Target Match is difficult to eject from my S&W Model 17, other types are fine.