The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 27, 2008, 09:02 PM   #1
frogger42

Need some help with a GP100

I purchased a used GP100 today from an individual I met on another forum. I have 2 questions...

1. He had replaced the OEM grips with Hogue Monogrips. The original grips had 2 parts stored under the wood panels. One looks like a fat aluminum rod. The other looks like a thin copper rod. He said they were take down tools. Is this correct? Do I need them? He provided them in a ziploc bag but I don't know if I need to keep them.

2. I removed the grip to clean the gun. When I put it back a piece fell out in my hand. It was a pin with a flat end that fit through the frame just above the grip. I removed the grip and put the part back and replaced the grip which seems to be the only thing holding the part in. What is this part for and is it a problem if it comes out easily with the grip removed? I have included a pic below with an arrow pointing to the part I am talking about.

I have not shot the gun yet. It will probably be Sunday or Monday before I have a chance. I am mostly concerned about question #2. I want to make sure the gun is safe to fire.

[EDIT] Here is some additional information that I hope helps. The hammer pivot assembly does not sit flush with the frame. It is slightly sunken into the frame. Also, it can be easily removed while the hammer is down. With the hammer cocked, it is quite tight. I probably could force it out, but I haven't (and wouldn't) try. The speculation now is that the seller at some point replaced this part with one from an SP101. Does that seem plausible? If so, could this make it dangerous to fire? I plan to order the correct part from Ruger on Monday if it turns out that this theory is correct, but I don't know if it should just sit in the safe until that part arrives.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by frogger42; June 28, 2008 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Additional info added
Old June 27, 2008, 09:10 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

The pin is the hammer pin. It's a bit strange that it would fall out of the gun since the hammer is under some tension from the mainspring. Still, I wouldn't worry about it. It's retained by the grip.

The fat aluminum rod is the grip index. It fits through the hole in the bottom of the grip extension and provides an indexing point for the stock grips.

The small copper colored pin allows one to easily remove the mainspring from the revolver.

If you don't have a manual, you can download one here:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/firear...Manuals/14.pdf

If you do have a manual, it explains how to take the pistol apart including how to use the pin.

Congratulations on your purchase, the GP100 is a nice revolver.
Old June 28, 2008, 06:52 PM   #3
frogger42

BTT for the additional info I just added to the original post.
Old June 28, 2008, 07:00 PM   #4
fisherman66

The pivot assy. on my GP is identical to yours except it is flush. Uncocked it rests loosely and slides out by gravity alone when the grips are not on. No problem what-so-ever.

I really like my Hogue grips for shooting heavy loads. Enjoy a great gun.
Old June 28, 2008, 10:46 PM   #5
GP100man

frogger
first let me say congratulations on the purchase of one of the best production revolvers made!!
it sounds as if the springs have been changed to liter ones , hopefully not too lite .
the acid test is very slow da shooting on hard primers.
all mine are sd &hd revolvers & i have the 10# trigger& the 12# hammer with some polishing of mating parts, all are 100% reliable !!!
my hammer pin will not fall out but i can push it out though & yes the grips are supposed to hold it in if it should want to migrate
go to the ruger site & search IBOK it`s on an automatic reply it`s a book from Iowegan ( hope i spelled that rite) & explains the in & outs of revolvers & specializing on the GP100& things to look for to help smooth operations ,have fun & look forward to many rnds goin down range!!!!
wanted to add : the new GPs come with hogues , if you find an old set with all the hardware buy em they are not made any more !! & the price is only going up on em , there is still some to be had at suppliers but eventually they`ll dry up too!!

GP100man

Last edited by GP100man; June 28, 2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: addition
Old June 30, 2008, 02:41 PM   #6
frogger42

Well, I called Ruger today to ask if the issue with the hammer pivot assembly was an issue. The lady I spoke to said she has seen several of them do this and it was fine. Just to be safe, I ordered a replacement part ($7 including shipping). I figure when it arrives, I will see if it fits tighter. If not, at least I will have a spare in case the original one gets lost during cleaning. Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad to know my new wheelgun seems to be fine. I will still hold off heading to the range until the new part arrives, just to be safe, but if it shoots half as good as I am expecting, it could be my new favorite gun.
Old June 30, 2008, 05:15 PM   #7
Sgt.Fathead

Good advice given on the pivot assembly and sounds like you are on your way to a good time with your new purchase. I have (2) KGP-141 4" stainless models, which it appears you have, one bought NIB and the other well cared for and well used. I have thousands of rounds of .38 Special, .38 +P and .357 Magnum through these wheel guns and I consider it the go to gun around my neck of the woods. Enjoy!

Tags
gp100