The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 2, 2007, 12:49 PM   #201
HankL

George, I'm not trying to get you to say anything bad about the current marketers of a once great name. They speak volumes for themselves.
Old August 2, 2007, 01:12 PM   #202
Barber2678

George,

I wanted to let you know that I have received my sample of WS and i do appreciate you offering you product to everyone here on the list. While I have not had the chance to do any shooting (I'm currently building a new house), I did put some WS on an old Mauser to give it a little lube down. Just a few drops here and there have already smoothed the old action out. The smell is great also. My wife never said a word about "that nasty smell" like she usually does whenever I lube down the guns.

Thanks again,
Grant
Old August 2, 2007, 01:22 PM   #203
gcfennell

HankL

Oh, I totally understand Hank and agree. I had no intention of portraying it that way as well. I just want folks to know that WS-CLP stands on it's own, and NO ONE else stands on IT, as with the FP-10 in the past. My reformulation last year was a total proprietary "workover" that exemplifies technological advances in the worlds of chemistry, synthetics and lubrication, in comparison to the rest of the world's technological advances.
It's amazing to me that people still cling to 20-50 year old practices and products that are so far behind in the current phases of technology, and find it hard to accept that technological advances in this area are just not feasable when we push the envelope in EVERY area of todays technology albeit computers, aeronautics, transportation, medicine, etc. The area of lubrication technology is no different and to find means to contol that, which was once thought "uncontrollable" (referring to advanced halogenation techniques) is akin to people saying 50 years ago..."we can never break the sound barrier" or "cancer is incurable". All things can be achieved, as long as the age has the technology and the motivation to achieve it.

Best regards Hank,
George
http://www.steelshieldtech.com
Old August 2, 2007, 05:42 PM   #204
obiwan1

OK, here's the magic question....... Why should I switch from Militec1 or Eezox?
Old August 2, 2007, 06:45 PM   #205
Edward429451

Mmmm my 45 and AR smell like cinnamon.

I used my normal cleaning regimin starting with hoppes to get the worst out, and finishing with CLP, this time it was WS. I used the other posters suggestion to use a small paintbrush to apply to most surfaces and I like that, it worked well and conserved potion.

I usually get bluish green patches back when using BF but admittedly did not with WS. I don't know what that means but it sure looks clean. I only shot the AR about 100-150 rnds when out so maybe it had no copper fouling yet, or the WS removes the copper without turning blue? When I started getting clean patches back, I ran another patch down the bore soaked in WS and let it sit overnight to see if more crud would come out or if I'd get some blue. Todays patches had no hint of blue or grey, only the yellow WS. Apparently it was totally clean last night.

The actions are slick. Feels real good. Is it better than the others? I honestly can't say, it's certainly AS good as anyhting else I've tried. Possibly continued use will tip my perception moreso one way or the other. I'm cleaning more guns with it tonight so the test goes on.
Old August 2, 2007, 07:29 PM   #206
gcfennell

Magic Question?

Quote:
When the army is restless and distrustful, trouble is sure to come from the other feudal princes. This is simply bringing anarchy into the army, and flinging victory away. - Sun Tzu "The Art of War"
Switching, adding to, subtracting from....is all a matter of ones own choice, if indeed faced with it. The "Sample" of WS-CLP was and still is, offered as a free means to compare it to whatever you currently use, as it is an improvement over much and many. How well it does or does not work for you as an individual is for each to decide. If the sample (if you took advantage of the offer) did not speak for itself, then 10,000 words will not matter.

George
(The Art of CLP)
Old August 2, 2007, 07:48 PM   #207
Clayton

Obiwan1 - based totally on my own experience from using all the products you mentioned, as well as reviewing the technical data available for these products, I would say all three are very good products and choice is more about what you are looking for in particular in these products.

Do you need just a good lubricant? Are you looking for a do-it-all CLP type product? Is corrosion a serious concern for you?

Eezox is an excellent lubricant and protectant, and Militec-1 is an excellent lube and offers only moderate protection from corrosion. Neither of these products clean very well. So far I am very happy with Weapon Shield, and if it exceeds FP-10 in the various wear and corrosion tests, then I doubt ANY product will match all of the performance characteristics of WS CLP.

I am still far from being done with my own tests, but when George told me he came up with a great product, I took him at his word because he is a friend, and I know he will still be a friend even if I decide to use something else.

The best thing to do is test them all out for yourself, then post the results so we can all learn.

Again this is just my opinion, and worth exactly what it costs.

Clay
Old August 2, 2007, 11:46 PM   #208
rgates

I've tried an awfull lot of solvents and lubes. Was never real impressed with any of them for one reason or another. I was about to resort to ordering Militec and give it a try when George's offer came up and took him up on it.
Weapon Shield did a wonderfull job of cleaning. Worked much better than many solvents I've used whos fumes would make my wife cuss and my eyes burn. Even removed the copper fouling from my Mak and AK. It made the actions and triggers work so much smoother and lighter it was just unbelievable. The trigger on my Makarov during double action pull is so much lighter that when my son tried it he thought I had done some metal work on it. IMO Weapon Shield is the perfect combination cleaner , lube, protectant.
It costs less than Militec. I don't need to test anything else.
Weapon Shield is it!
Old August 3, 2007, 06:29 AM   #209
NCLivingBrit

Well I finally cleaned some guns with my sample, so here's the results:

SKS (previously used Hoppes/Remoil). Even though this hasn't been shot since I last used it, the WS removed a fair bit of grunge from the barrel and action, even though it had been cleaned previously. After a quick wipe down with clean WS and a cloth, it felt a lot like I had used a good dry lubricant with no greasy feeling on the exposed metal.

Mosin Nagant 91/30 (previously used Hoppes/Remoil). Wow. I haven't actually shot this one yet, even though I bought it nearly two months ago, but I did give it a good clean when I got it. The WS took a -lot- more gunk out of the barrel, as well as some copper fouling I thought I had already gotten with the Hoppes Elite spray (I think, I forget the name of it). Very impressed.

I also threw a drop or two in some of my folding pocket knives, which needed the oil badly as I've been a trifle lax of late. Very smooth

As soon as the sample bottle gets low (it didn't take a lot to do all of the above) I'll be ordering something larger. Great stuff.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” - George Carlin
Old August 3, 2007, 01:53 PM   #210
rgates

Just ordered my first 16 oz. bottle this morning. I expect the first of many.
Old August 3, 2007, 03:04 PM   #211
Blankwaffe

I got my first order of two pints in today.Have to say that the bottles and labels George uses is top notch.A whole lot better looking than what he had with the FP-10.The sprayers and dropper tops are also better than what Ive seen come with the FP-10 in the past...totally leak free too.
George made sure I got some of his new grease as well.
The Lithi Shield grease reminds of George's old PL-10 grease somewhat,but with more of a oily/buttery consistency and not the thick grainy look.Which should help working with it considerably,especially packing bearings.Very slick feeling stuff.
That said I really liked the PL-10,but I think the new Lithi Shield looks to be a much better grease overall.
Should work wonders for the M1 and M14 series of rifles as well as a usable storage type grease.The packaging there is far improved as well.
Good job there G...Im even further impressed.
Old August 4, 2007, 10:57 AM   #212
Ant1

I recieved my bottel last week and have cleaned my Glock 22 3 times with it. I appreciate the non chemical smell as well as the excellent job it did. A ittle goes a long way.

Last edited by Ant1; August 4, 2007 at 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old August 4, 2007, 04:08 PM   #213
obiwan1

George:

If you're free trial offer is still good, I'd like to take advantage of it. I carry my duty H&K in all types of S. Florida weather (all hot and humid) and I do appreciate the idea of superior corrosion protection. I used a product in the past called Poly Pro-Tec and really liked it for exactly that reason. I think the company is defunct as I haven't been able to locate anymore of it - and the website, while still functioning, doesn't let one order or contact (never a reply). By the way, I spent a few years in Pittsburgh during the '70s.
Old August 4, 2007, 07:01 PM   #214
rgates

Blued finish

Another plus for Weapon Shield. I've always wiped down my Makarov (my CCW) with a silicon cloth before storing it after carrying. Everytime I carry it, within a very short time (maybe an hour) if I pull it out the finish looks blotchy which tells me the silicon is not protecting very well. The other day after firing and cleaning with Weapon Shield I decided to wipe down the outside of the gun with it as well. Wiped it back off, looked good, put it away. I carried it today (6 hours) and it still looked good. There's one more item (silicon cloth) I don't need now since I started using Weapon Shield.

Great stuff George. My guns I've treated so far all function better, clean easier and look better. Looking forward to getting the 16oz. bottle I ordered Friday so I can do the rest of my guns and have enough to clean after a day of shooting. I told the gentleman I spoke to (I think his name was Gary?) if he would throw in 4-5 business cards, I would give them to some gun store owners around this area.
Old August 4, 2007, 10:00 PM   #215
gcfennell

Stuart and Rick

Stuart...got the email and will get it out to you first thing on Monday. (I guess you know that 'cause I emailed you back )
By the way, Duquesne U is a great University and I have some good friends there in the Physics and Astronomy Department. I also did volunteer work and business trips with the Ireland Institue of Pittsburgh and we were strongly connected to Duquesne.

Rick, sounds great, and yep, thats what my full intentions were in striving to create Weapon Shield CLP as I did a complete overhaul on FP-10. The fact is, they may be similar in mechanisms of operation and the cinnimon smell which I chose to retain, but other than that they are like 3rd cousins, twice removed
This time I feel like I hit the V at 1000 yards for a perfect score in the creation/formulation of Weapon Shield CLP.

OH...here's one you CCW and Duty Officers who use leather holsters will appreciate: Take some WS-CLP on that soft cleaning brush and give the inside of your leather carry rig a good coating and let sit overnight. You can do this every so often but a couple times over a couple weeks should be fine. Why? Well, the chemistries in the Weapon Shield CLP that are meant to protect and fight corrosion will also neutralize the tanning salts in the leather which under humid conditions (sweat, etc.) during concealed carry, tend to be more aggressive and attack bluing and finishes. This does not suggest by any means to store your gun in your rig. But it will help immensly in fighting corrosion under those high humid conditions, protecting from the salts of sweat as well as the tanning salts in the holster.
If you wipe down your weapon every day with WS-CLP and then carry every day, this eventually will happen, but that takes a while (weeks to months). This way, you just speed up the process.

Best regards,
George
Old August 6, 2007, 10:49 PM   #216
ZeSpectre

Update to ongoing testing.

I've posted an update to my ongoing lubrication test over in the "what lube is this" thread.
Old August 7, 2007, 12:24 AM   #217
Floydrayhickerson

IRAQ

George and Mark: Just got the full scoop on the fire fight. The unit came under fire from insurgents after an IUD (roadside bomb). Their objective is to set off a road side bomb and while the unit is stunned and off guard, attack the unit.

In this military action, there were up to 20 insurgents. They were firing from cover (house and covered field. This battle continued for about an hour. While under fire a 50 cal jammed and the sand caked and solidified.

The unit was lucky to have a large force that had two other hummers with 50 cals. They overheated under fire.

The men had been issued some grease to lubricate their undercarriage and had tested the grease on some hummers and not others. The treated were named a "quiet ride" by the men.

When one of the 50 CALS quit all together, the operator tore it down and using a knife cut open the TUBE of lubricant GREASE and wiped down the complete bolt and carriage that injects the 50 CAL shell into the breach mechanism. (Now I am no weapons guy. I am just trying to explain this because I have never fired or seen a 50 Cal. We used M14s)

With bullets firing, he field stripped the 50 CAL, lubricated, and reloaded. The 50 CAL never jammed for an hour or more. The other guys before their weapons failed, used the same product until it ran out.

George and Mark. You saved my sons life and the life of his men.

I say to HELL with Haliburton Company and their sub-standard lube.

I think that we need a 50 cal lube in a tub.
Old August 7, 2007, 12:41 AM   #218
Floydrayhickerson

Traction Motors

George, if I may, I would like to tell you of a "FIELD TRIP TEST"; I should say an unplanned test of a traction motor on a locomotive out of a major shop in NLR, AR.

The six traction motors were installed on the SD40 out of this major NLR shop. The work station procedures required 6 oz of your product in the gear box and upon application of the upper and lower bearing shells you would apply oil on the bearing surface that interfaces with the wheel axle surface.

The shop forgot to lubricate (add traction motor oil) to the traction motor gear box. The only lubricant was 6 OZ or your product and the bearing wipe down or application.

The locomotive made it from NLR to KC and back to the NLR service ramp. When the mechanic made a pit inspection, he found no lubrication in the gear box. He added lube and sent the locomotive on it's way.

That's right. A 400 mile + trip with only your product.

Two more miracles and we can saint your product. Yes St. George.
Old August 7, 2007, 10:30 AM   #219
bdcbbq

Quote:
I also threw a drop or two in some of my folding pocket knives, which needed the oil badly as I've been a trifle lax of late. Very smooth
Thanks for the idea. I've got one that is a little slow opening. Any idea how Weapon Shield would work as a honing oil?
Old August 7, 2007, 05:05 PM   #220
FirstFreedom

Note to self: Next time you want 5,500 people to look at your thread, put the word "free" in the title.
Old August 7, 2007, 06:02 PM   #221
gcfennell

Free

Dear FirstFreedom,

Seems you got it going on from the get-go

This cost ME about $5000 so far (just shooting from the hip) but yes, it is titled as FREE because it is to anyone who requests it. AND I am putting it up against whatever people are using and letting THEM be the judge. No one is forcing anyone to buy it, if they like it or not. Just "Putting my product where my mouth is" and letting it do the talking. And even if the offer HAS expired, I have never turned anyone away from asking for a "free" sample.

Best regards,
George
Old August 7, 2007, 06:43 PM   #222
dralarms

George is a man of his word. Got my free sample, tried it out and bought some more. It's good stuff.

I did have to use "gun scrubber" on my M&P9C the other day (got sand in it and that took it right out). But I lubed it down with WS again and everything is wonderful.

Oh and BTW George, you are right I did notice a temp difference in the engine, don't have a temp gauge in the tranny but it sure shifts smoother and seems to pull better also. I'll be ordering more engine shield and transmission shield soon.
Old August 7, 2007, 08:58 PM   #223
Gregory_k

Blank I had a little leakage from the 16oz contains I got. Not much at all, but when I checked seams the foil seal lost its adhesive abilty to the bottle top. The other 2 bottles were fine.

The caps that are being used are 100% better than before. You can reuse the caps now.

So far only treated 2 pistols. I am pleased w/ the results.
Old August 7, 2007, 10:28 PM   #224
FirstFreedom

Don't get me wrong - I love what you're doing - sounds like a great product, and I want to buy some. I was just commenting on the immense traffic this thread has generated.
Old August 7, 2007, 10:45 PM   #225
ZeSpectre

Quote:
I was just commenting on the immense traffic this thread has generated.
I suspect that comes from 3 parts.

1) George has a long established reputation
2) Free sample (actually free, no strings attached)
3) Our collective obsession with finding products that will simplify cleaning and protect our treasures