The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 29, 2007, 10:39 PM   #176
rgates

Finally got to test drive my treated guns.

Finally made the time to get out and do some shooting today. So far I've treated 3 of my guns with Weapon Shield and was dying to try them out. I managed to use 2 today. Here's how it went;

Function with both the AK47 and Makarov was flawless as always.

The big difference I noticed was the triggers and actions work much smoother, lighter, easier. As I had mentioned in a previous post the Makarov trigger while firing as double action feels so much lighter it's hard to believe it's the same gun. The slide racks so much smoother as does the bolt on the AK it's amazing.

Cleanup;

For my 9x18 Makarov I like using Wolf when loaded for carry but don't like it for target because it is so dirty. Today I used all Wolf to put Weapon Shield to the test. It passed with flying colors. The first thing I did with my Makarov was to hook up an airgun to my compressor to try blowing out the inside of the slide. Most of the surfaces came clean and looked wet again. A little more rubbing with Weapon Shield soaked cotton swabs and it was spotless again. To clean the bore, one wet patch, brush, wet patch and 2 dry patches. Used a bore light and it looked like a mirror again. The Mak doesn't get real heavy copper fouling but does get some. I was happy to see Weapon Shield removed it as well.

The AK cleaned just as easily except the copper was a little heavier and took just a little extra work. However, it's not a copper solvent and in a previous post I believe George had said you might need a copper solvent first for heavy copper fouling. I was not expecting it to remove any copper so I'm thrilled at what it did remove. As mentioned above it got all the copper out of the Mak.

One big plus for Weapon Shield kind of snuck up on me. I didn't even realize I had not turned on the exhaust fan as I usually do when gun cleaning. My wife walked through and commented that there was no strong chemical odor like usual.

George,

I've been searching for the ultimate product for cleaning and lube and then came Weapon Shield. The only products I need from now on are a copper solvent for my guns that build it up really heavy and Weapon Shield. I'm going to give away or throw away my Hoppes, Gunslick foaming bore cleaner, Shooters Choice, Breakfree, clear the shelf and make room for more ammo. I was planning on trying Militec when I learned of Weapon Shield. No need to try it now that I've got Weapon Shield and it's less than half the price.

I'll be calling you soon to order more. Then I'll be asking the local gun stores when they will start carrying it if not already there. When I run across something this good I'll help spread the word all I can. I like to see the good guys do well because I want this stuff to be around and available.

Well done and keep it comin. I'll buy more.
Old July 29, 2007, 11:23 PM   #177
rgates

PS

Forgot to mention; My son and a friend were building a paintball bazooka yesterday (really cool) and a valve they were using (actually a ballcock plumbing valve) was extremely stiff and causing problems. Enter Weapon Shield. One drop from each side, No resistance at all. I'm gonna oil everything with this stuff. Car door hinges, hinges in the house, etc. I truly believe they'll never need another drop of anything.
Old July 30, 2007, 09:58 AM   #178
Tempest45

This is a copy of a post I made on another forum:

This weekend I finally had a chance to do some shooting with the Weapon Shield. I used a stainless Ruger MKII .22 pistol as test bed because 1: ammo is cheap and 2: the gun gets dirty quickly. I fired ~700 rounds of plated ammo in about 1 hours time. The gun is now quite dirty (looks like mud inside), but the oil is still wet and the gun is working fine. I only had 3 stoppages. One was a bad round (would not fire) and the two others were magazine related (not getting the round into place fast enough).

I have not cleaned the gun (I'm counting on your inhibitor package George) or added any WS and will try to shoot it again next week and see how many rounds it takes to start getting problems. This gun usually has stoppages after ~500 rounds due to dirt caking on the breach and not allowing proper chambering, so it is already ahead of the game. I did notice some caking starting to form though. Once it starts failing, I'll try just adding some WS and see if it helps.

When I first applied the WS to the gun, there was some carbon buildup around the crown from when it had been fired before. The WS took this right off with only a paper towel, and there was no build up on the crown at all after the firing session. I should add that this stuff sticks like crazy and is even hard to get off with a clean paper towel.

So far I am very impressed with this product.
Old July 30, 2007, 03:06 PM   #179
Cpl Nobbs

brief review, used it for a quick clean on a RI .45 that hadn't been cleaned since long before I bought it. and I was impressed. to give it a REAL test we have a single shot .22 that belonged to my wifes grandfather and was sitting in a garage for who knows how many years and is kinda rusty/icky. the bolt will slide ok. I have taken "before" pics as well as I am able and will give it a good going over with the Weapon Shield as soon as I get a couple of hours to do so. and post both before and afters.

THEN I will pass it on to my gun pusher to try out and try to talk him into stocking it.
Old July 30, 2007, 04:13 PM   #180
dralarms

I just received my order, yes order. I was so impressed with this I purchased their engine shiled, transmission shield, and a bunch more weapon shield. I know a bargain when I see one. I'll get the oil changed WEd and have the engine shield installed along with the transmission shield. I'll let you know how it goes.

As far as the WS, I opened my "sample bottle" of 1 oz and poured about 1/4 on to a washrag. I proceeded to wipe down all my guns just to give them a little protection. I got a good coat on all of them (I have a pretty big safe and it's full) and ran out of rag before I ran out of WS. (the rag started breaking down and leaving lint on the guns).
Old July 30, 2007, 07:59 PM   #181
Blankwaffe

Go to the hardware store and buy yourself a short 7/8" stencil brush.Then go buy a cigar that has the plastic tube and use it to keep the brush in....Or buy yourself a paint ball tube instead.That way it can be carried in a pocket or range bag without getting oil on everything and debris off.
To clean the brush just wipe clean with a cloth,if real dirty clean it in rubbing alcohol and air dry.
The brush makes a perfect applicator for lubes.Just dip the brush in the oil, or put a few drops of oil on the brush tip and paint away.Helps prevent waste of the oil,and it does not put lint on the weapon.
If the film is too heavy just spread it around.
Old July 30, 2007, 08:38 PM   #182
dralarms

Wow that is just 1 great idea.
Old July 30, 2007, 09:00 PM   #183
Blankwaffe

Im glad someone finally thought it was a good idea.The round 7/8" diameter stencil brush is about the best applicator Ive found.Put some of the oil in a glass baby food jar and dip away.Put the lid on when your done and your good to go until next time.
In fact I have one brush with lube on it and one brush that is dry.I carry the dry brush in my pocket to knock dust and dirt off with at the range etc..
I also have a rather large collection,so I know how it is trying to relube a bunch of weapons at one time.An oily cloth just does not get it,nor does cleaning patches.I use a wool bore mop to PM the bores of my stored weapons.
HTH
Old July 30, 2007, 11:20 PM   #184
tazmss

Recieved the sample(Thanks again, George!).....will report results soon...
Old July 31, 2007, 12:02 PM   #185
Floydrayhickerson

Weapons Shield

George and Mark:

I worked for a mojor railroad for 36 years, the last 12 years as a director in the QC area. My responsibilities included locomotive maintenance. My crews inspected all RR equipment and made recommendations to better quality on the system.

We started using your product with a technology geared toward moving equipment; traction motors, diesel engines, water and oil pumps, and mumerious locomotive components.

Before your product was used in our traction motors (the component that drived the locomotive over the road), we experiences in the neighborhood of 2 set outs a day. Note: a set out is when we have a traction motor failure that stops the locomotive). After using your traction motor treatment for 6 months, we experienced no set outs directly related to motor lubrication failure. This is a savings in thousands of dollars. We collected data for another year and had the same results.

Thanks for your product.
Old July 31, 2007, 12:41 PM   #186
antiwhackos

Weapon Shield

WOW!!! This product is excellent. Used it on a sewing machine which now hums to the wife's amazement. I also used it on a hanging, wind up 30 day clock that loved to stop every few hours. Three days now without a stoppage. Pickled Tink I am.
Old July 31, 2007, 01:23 PM   #187
Napahunter

just got off the phone, to order a bottle of WS. I also ordered some engine shield also. My sample has worked on everything i have tried it on!
Old July 31, 2007, 02:48 PM   #188
gcfennell

Floydrayhickerson

Hello Floyd and thanks to all for posting up yor results to date.

Floyd Ray Hickerson is the father of Major Craig Hickerson of the 10th Mountain who is currently stationed in Iraq and does regular insurgent sweeps in Northern Baghdad and Southern Tikrit.

Major Hickersons men have beed using Weapon Shield CLP for some time now, and I was wondering if it would be an imposition for you to extent to the forum the consequential benefits that your son and his men have seen by using it. I always say, it's better to hear it from the horses mouth than tru the horses arse

Thanks in advance, Floyd.

My best regards,
George
http://www.steelshieldtech.com
Old July 31, 2007, 04:11 PM   #189
dralarms

I got my engine shield and transmission shield installed today and while pulling away from the lube shop my tranny quit.

Just kidding, ROTFLOL

I can say I noticed a very noticable improvement in acceleration and transmission shifting. I'll know tomorrow if it really helps, I have to take about a 2.5 hr trip (all hwy) so I'll be able to put it through it's paces.

Sorry George, I had to do it.
Old July 31, 2007, 04:35 PM   #190
gcfennell

Doc

Hahahahaha...Love the sense of humor (after the skipped heartbeat(s))

Awesome...keep us posted.
Best regards,
George
Old July 31, 2007, 06:11 PM   #191
Tempest45

Hey George, have you had a chance to do any viscosity testing of the WS? Cold weather, cSt @ 100/40C etc...thanks.
Old July 31, 2007, 06:13 PM   #192
Charles S

Alright, gentleman and ladies…her is my impression.

First let me say I am not a die hard fan of Breakfree CLP simply because while it is capable of cleaning, lubricating, and protecting, it has been my experience that it does none of those jobs well.

For cleaning a knife I prefer WD40 or Rem Oil. For cleaning a gun either of those work well. For lubricating I really prefer Royal Purple Synthetic Gun Oil (note very hard to get).
As a bore cleaner Hoppes works well, for copper there is nothing better than Butches bore shine or Sweets 7.62.

However if you can only carry one tube then Breakfree seemed to be the one to carry.

Today I cleaned 4 revolvers a S&W 610, S&W 681, Ruger Speed Six, and a Ruger SP101 with Weapon Shield CLP.

My impression: Weapon Shield CLP is a better cleaner than either Rem Oil or WD40 and does an excellent job of displacing water (I shot the Speed Six in the rain today). Weapon Shield CLP is a much better cleaner than Breakfree. While I realize that Weapon Shield CLP is not a copper cleaner it did a very good job on my pistols (I will test rifles later…Weapon Shield CLP first then Butches Bore Shine and then Weapon Shield CLP again…we will see). I will later give my impresion of Weapon Shield CLP vs. Royal Purple Synthetic Gun Oil as a lube.

I will be purchasing some Weapon Shield CLP this week. I am very impressed Weapon Shield CLP removed the hard to remove dark carbon on the frame without a brush and cleaned the end of the cylinders well. The bores look spotless and the actions feel very smooth.

Great product….I will recommend it to my friends and I will purchase from you. Thanks again!
Old August 1, 2007, 09:38 AM   #193
ZeSpectre

A different kind of impressive

George,
Still haven't made the range... I have an ear infection in BOTH ears and can't even drive let alone handle a gun right now (Arrrggghhh!)

So I'm puttering around the house trying to get some stuff done and I come across this very handy packing crate tool that has been in my family at least 60 years, possibly much longer. It's always bounced around in the bottom of various tool chests and has NEVER gotten any special treatment. For the most part it has the kind of brown/rust patina that musket owners would die to get. The bottom "claws" were looking bad though so I decided to put some weapon shield on it and then wipe it down about 10 minutes later.

It's hard to see it in the photo, but it took some of the rust off right down to bare tool steel! That's not a reflection of the flash, that's shiny bare tool-steel peeking through.

WOW!
Old August 1, 2007, 12:03 PM   #194
dralarms

George,

I have just returned from a short stint (2.5 hrs 1 way). It's the first real test in my Durango with the weapon shield in it. I did notice that the temp seemed to be a little cooler. Pickup seemed to be smoother, and shifting was like glass (it almost slides through the gears).

The biggest change and to me this is a pretty big difference.

Before WS I was getting 17 MPG which in a 4.7 Durango with the backend loaded all the time and a heavy gas pedel is fair.

Today I got 19.4 MPG and most of the trip today was away from the interstate. back country roads anywhere from 20 to 45 MPH.

George,

you have a customer for life and I'll be telling all my friends and family about this stuff.
Old August 1, 2007, 02:23 PM   #195
Mantua

I sent an e-mail on the 20th of this month, received the Weapon Shield 3 days later. It took me about a week to get some range time, but before that I used it on my rusty, beat up, in dire need of a re-finishing Ruger Mini-14. It's kept the rust off without a problem, and i haven't touched it in a week or so.

I brought a Walther P99 and a Taurus 85 to the range with me last night, and fired about 250 rounds of WWB through each. WS was applied to the P99 as a lube before the range trip, and held up until I cleaned it out. Works wonderfully for whatever you use it on.

On a "random stuff I used Wep Shield for" side note, it will take tarnish off of gold jewelery (just please don't tell my fiance ).

My only suggestion to George would be to post prices on the website. Otherwise, it's a great product and you should expect to get an order from me in the next couple weeks. Thanks

::Edit:: Thanks for posting the pricing, guess I'm just blind

Last edited by Mantua; August 1, 2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old August 1, 2007, 03:29 PM   #196
Tempest45

Steel shield pricing
Old August 1, 2007, 03:36 PM   #197
Dead-Nuts-Zero

I have cleaned one gun and was very happy with it's ability to remove carbon from around the chamber area. Just a quick soak and it rubs right off.

Question - I read some of the many results posted here but haven't noticed anyone giving a report on trigger pull data. Has anyone compared a revolver pull before and after (both single and double action if you have one) with a good quality scale like the Lyman digital scale? That should be an impressive test result for WS.

If this is a good application, I will be sure to do the actions on every one of my guns w/WS next time I clean them.
Old August 1, 2007, 03:38 PM   #198
dralarms

I "cleaned" my Keltec sub 2000 in 40S&W. In other words I squirted some WS in the moving parts and it racks better, trigger pull is not gritty, and it feeds better.
Old August 1, 2007, 05:02 PM   #199
HankL

Test Results

I finally got a little rust showing in my simple test. This plate was ground off in 6 places down to the bare pot metal through the galvanizing and then wiped in each spot with the labled product except for the one left bare. The plate has been out in the weather with some rain on it as well as I sprayed it once with a very mild saline solution.

I'm going to try some more protection test with the Shooters Choice version
of FP-10 before I throw it out! George, did they screw up your product that badly?
Old August 2, 2007, 11:55 AM   #200
gcfennell

Ws-clp

HankL, I will only comment that Weapon Shield CLP is an absolute and unique reformulation of my original FP-10 and is NOT associated with ANY of the other brands in the marketplace. What I said in my original post, stands as testimony to the present.

Best regards,
George