The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 25, 2007, 02:38 AM   #151
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Folks....This offer is for real. I sent email, got a reply from George the next day telling me it was on the way. Had it in 2 days, came in a nice little plastic bottle with a droper top so there should not be alot of waste and overkill when you only need a little.

Sorry to say, I haven't had a chance to us it yet, but I will soon and let ya all know what I think about it.

Thanks George, sounds like you have a winner!
Old July 25, 2007, 06:51 AM   #152
NCLivingBrit

I was surprised to find my sample in the mail last night (especially as it had arrived Monday and I forgot to check it!) and while I have only given it a cursory glance, I'm pretty impressed so far.

The odour is the primary thing for me. While I love the smell of Hoppes my wife is far less enthusiastic, so the mild "warm oil" aroma of the Steel Shield should win her approval.

I'll be plinking up a storm with my SKS this weekend, so I'll post some before (it's dirty) and after pics when I get the chance. If the product is as good as the shipping response (it took a certain stock manufacturer longer to respond to my order being placed than it took this free sample to arrive) I'll be placing an order.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” - George Carlin
Old July 25, 2007, 07:37 AM   #153
dbgun

Weapon Shield

I got my sample in last week. I cleaned a very dirty S&W 422. I though it did a great job cleaning this pistol. Went to the range yesterday and the pistol worked fine, no problems after 50 rounds. It dosen't have a very strong smell when you use it. I like it and would recommend it as well. just my $.02
Old July 25, 2007, 05:36 PM   #154
gcfennell

Thank you!!

For those of you who have received the Weapon Shield CLP and had the time to work with it a bit, I want to take the time to say thank you. I also realize that we all have hectic schedules and many of you wont have time to get to the range and such for a bit, and thats OK. I thank you in advance as I am sure you'll all get to posting up when the time is right and you all can.

I have taken many of the posts and put them on our site as "What the SHOOTERS are saying"....not what the "armchair officianados" are saying, as thats as moot as it gets. I as well as most everyone here gets out there and shoots. Frankly, I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't shoot and lots of you feel the same way. I've ridden Harley's all my life, since I bought my first 49 panhead when I was 17 and if I was forced to choose between one or the other (God forbid), I'd have to choose my weapons and my shooting sports. Thankfully, I dont have to choose (yet )

Keep posting up guys. It is an enormous sense of gratitude and accomplishment that I feel in being able, once again to deliver the best product out there to you all, and having it villified and validated by you all as well, AND ensuring the preservation my own firearms collection for the duration of their ownership (and more).

My very best regards to you all,
George
http://www.steelshieldtech.com
Old July 25, 2007, 06:12 PM   #155
rgates

George,

I saw my post about treating my Makarov on your site. Hope it helps. Due to suddenly being a man short at work, broke down truck and everything else that could possibly go wrong over the last week I still haven't been able to range test yet. I still can't get over the difference in my Mak and have been telling everyone about it. I did though get one of my rifles treated last night. A 35 year old Winchester 190 ( semi-auto .22). I saw the same kind of changes on it.
Much smoother and lighter action. I hope before this weekend I can treat my AK, a .357 revolver and my sons 10/22 at least and fire all this weekend.
Will update then. Thanks again.
Old July 25, 2007, 06:28 PM   #156
dralarms

George,

I didn't hear back from your partner. I really need to get that stuff I inquired about on order.
Old July 25, 2007, 06:37 PM   #157
spawndn72

Got mine in the mail on Monday, just a few days after I asked for it. Thanks for the quick response. My wife is having a c-section tomorrow, so I don't think I will be shooting any this weekend But I will give a full report as soon as I have tried it out.

Thanks again,
Todd
Old July 25, 2007, 08:25 PM   #158
iii

review of sample

i normally clean my guns very regularly. i use breakfree which i've found to be sufficient if you don't let stuff build up.

the bottle arrived within a couple of days of sending the email.

i have two pistols that i've been spending a lot of range time with. i decided to let one of them build up more crud than usual, and continue my normal cleaning regimen with the other. this review is based on observations of the regular cleaning - i'm going to trade places with them next week, and see how the weapon shield treated gun holds up to lack of cleaning and how well it cleans the dirty gun.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
in the three areas of interest:

it seems to clean as well as break free does. due to regular cleaning, this doesn't seem to be a difficult hurdle. i have a few complaints which are mostly aesthetic: the bottle is stiff and hard to regulate, the twist nozzle is nice for opening and closing, but adds to the hard to manage.

it is also much thicker than breakfree is, and adds to the feeling that it's difficult to clean with. the guns did not end up any dirtier, it was just a feeling thing. i was very tempted to try to cut it with a thinner for cleaning purposes, but had no idea what would have been appropriate, or if there even was anything acceptable to thin it with. (feedback on this would be appreciated).

as a lubricant it feels like it surpasses breakfree. it penetrates nicely, and the guns cycle as well at the end of a shooting session as they did at the beginning. This is not an area i normally have difficulty with either, so the difference is also based on gut feel rather than being able to evaluate failures to perform.

finally, as a protectant, weapon shield is just as serviceable as breakfree is. i don't bathe my guns in salt water, so i don't expect to see corrosion. while one may be better under harsh conditions than the other, with what my guns are exposed to they perform equally well. they both also play nice with all synthetics and wood that they've encountered.

the price is right, and it comes in a 16 oz bottle (rather than spray can, which makes it easier to redistribute). i'll likely become a paying customer, especially if there is good advice on thinning it for cleaning.
Old July 25, 2007, 09:06 PM   #159
gcfennell

!!!

Thanks iii for your post and please allow me to iterate a few points.

First, the small sample bottles are made of a quality pvc which, due to its small size or short size, causes one to have to use a bit of pressure and this is intentional. WS-CLP goes a LONG way and not much is needed under the 3 aspects of usage. If we were to have used a softer HDPE material, then it would more than likely have gushed out and loss would have been a big issue (seeing how there is but only 1 ounce in there). These 1 ouncers are primarily meant for sliding into the bands of a soldiers' assault vest and/or flak jacket along with being small enough to carry an ample amount for the shooter's bag, where the 4 and 16 ouncers more suited for the bench. Also, we will have our vertical pump sprayers for both the 1 and 4 ouncers in a week or so. This eliminates the need to squeeze in the future.

Thinning it with solvent is really "working against the grain" so to speak. I formulated WS-CLP to be solvent/volatile free and non-toxic, while still having the surface spread characteristics and cleaning ability of a solvent, in fact BETTER than most solvents. It's all a little game that we all suffer from that the mind plays on us when we have been so perpetually conditioned to something for so long. The mind says subconsciously ("RESIST") and we sometimes do. Next time you shoot, try something for me, if you will iii...clean the weapon with BF until you know its good and clean. THEN, taking a wet patch with WS-CLP, coat the barrel and allow it to set for 2-5 minutes. Then go back down the bore and see what residual fouling (if any) comes out.

I thank you for your posting !!! and do not view it negatively at all, as a matter of fact I thought it was well written and well balanced. I only felt I needed to express the reason for the firmness of the stout little 1 ouncers and answer your inquiry about the "thinning" part of the report.

Once again, thank you iii and best regards,
George

Last edited by gcfennell; July 26, 2007 at 12:11 AM. Reason: iii not !!! :-)
Old July 25, 2007, 10:51 PM   #160
ZeSpectre

Finally settled enough to clean and review!

CPO SIG 229 in .40 S&W

This pistol was taken to the range about two weeks ago where I fired just shy of 200 rounds of dirty, nasty, lead truncated cone, ammunition through it. The pistol functioned flawlessly and was extremely accurate. It was then worn for CCW during my entire move (dirt, sweat, and all). In the end it was about as dirty and nasty as I’ve ever let a sidearm get.

For this entire test the only chemical used on the firearm was “Weapon Shield”.

I started by field stripping the firearm down and then swabbing the inside of the barrel with Weapon Shield CLP. I then let the barrel sit for 20 minutes while I cleaned the rest of the gun. The frame cleanup went very quickly with Weapon Shield easily removing any and all gunk from the rails and other parts. One note is that Weapon Shield greatly reduced the stiff, gritty, feel of my magazine release button.

Cleaning the slide was, of course, more involved. Weapon Shield was doing such a nice job of removing fouling and gunk that I decided to go the extra mile and actually disassemble the firing pin and extractor. Again Weapon Shield (on several Q-Tips) did a first rate job of removing all gunk from the parts and the recessed areas, especially the firing pin channel.

By now about 20 minutes had passed so I took a bronze brush and scrubbed the barrel (which had some lead fouling from the LTC ammunition). I then ran a patch through which came out BLACK with lots of lead flakes. Visual inspection of the barrel showed a little more lead but I would estimate an 85% removal on the first go. As you may imagine I was pretty impressed at that. I swabbed the barrel with Weapon Shield again and set it aside while I reassembled the slide.

About 5 minutes later I brush-scrubbed the barrel again and ran more patches through it and visual inspection showed the barrel to be clean and shiny and ready to go. I don’t know if Weapon Shield is supposed to be a lead remover, but in this case it certainly seemed to make the job easier.

Now one of the issues I have with my SIG pistols is rust in the grip screw slots (on the side that faces my body). So far I’ve had good luck with Birchwood Casey “Barricade” spray to greatly reduce this issue, but not much else has helped at all. Since this pistol was going to be a testbed I hadn’t treated the screws and sure enough there was a hint of surface rust in the slots. Weapon Shield and a Q-Tip removed the rust. Time will tell if Weapon Shield also succeeds in preventing rust in this troublesome area.

This firearm is an extremely smooth operating one so right now it’s a little difficult for me to tell by feel if Weapon Shield has had an effect on this aspect. The magazine release button was certainly smoothed out and is much easier to operate now. The barrel, guide rod, and rails all seem very slick and well lubricated. I also noted that the viscosity seemed very good. Thin enough to work into just about anyplace you put it, thick enough to avoid running all over the place. Testing and time will tell if the lube stays put or not. Odor is fine and passed the wife test as well as my own chemically sensitive nose.

Next stage will be a series of 100 round range trips with only a barrel swab-out. At 500 rounds I will report back on how Weapon Shield is holding up as well as detailing how the 500 round detail cleanup goes.

Ze
Old July 26, 2007, 12:16 AM   #161
iii

>clean the weapon with BF until you know its good and clean. THEN,
>taking a wet patch with WS-CLP, coat the barrel and allow it to set
>for 2-5 minutes. Then go back down the bore and see what residual
>fouling (if any) comes out.

having nothing better to do tonight (sometimes i need a life), i decided to pull out the kimber which had been cleaned and put away and run this test on it.

here's the setup:

here are the wetted patches before being run through. note that the bf soaked the patch completely, while the viscosity of the ws kept it from spreading to the edges of the patch.

i did a run through with bf, let it sit for about 5 min, ran a bronze brush through 3 times, and then ran two dry patches through. the second one came out clean. i then rewet the ws patch, and ran it through twice, and let the barrel sit for another 5 minutes. after another couple runs with the brush, the patches came out looking like this: (wet patches on top, dry patches on the bottom)

you'll note that there was a bit of additional dirt picked up, though the high contrast here makes it look like a bit more. on the off chance that the dirt came from the brush, i repeated the process with break free again. here is a comparison of the 3 dry patches (the first one was actually the second patch from the first run - i had used the other one to do some breech cleaning and gotten additional dirt on it.)

you'll note there is some dirt on the third patch as well, indicating that there is some residue left by the brush, but that it is not as pronounced as the second patch.

conclusion - the ws clp *will* get some stuff that the clp didn't. it should also be noted that the viscosity was not issue in application as the wet patch did end up completely coated once it had been run through.
Old July 26, 2007, 05:32 AM   #162
velocette

I got it, I used it, I like it! Stuff smells just like CLP break Free used to smell like. (clearly a high level technical & chemical evaluation, spectroanalysis by nose! )
I assume I can buy more at the website?

Roger
Old July 26, 2007, 08:08 AM   #163
gcfennell

iii

iii sir,

I am duly impressed by your thourough, concise, and well documented (with photos) experiment. Without even caring that much about the results, I definately like the way you test.

Very well done!

Best,
George
Old July 26, 2007, 08:44 AM   #164
frankxd

I finally got around to trying my sample. I cleaned my AK-74 with Ed's Red (home-made bore cleaner), lubed with Weapon Shield, and reassembled. The action works noticeable smoother than before. I used to be able to get the bolt to stay open by easing it forward; the tension of the hammer, and friction between the hammer and bolt would be able to hold the bolt open. This was actually a nice feature at the range. After the application of Weaopn Shield, the bolt will no longer get purposely stuck. While not a scientific test of lubriosity (is this even a word), for me, this is a pretty good indication of how slick this stuff is. I'll be using it as a lubicant on all of my guns.
Old July 26, 2007, 09:08 AM   #165
cap811

Looks interesting by the feed back so far. E-mail sent.
Old July 26, 2007, 11:19 AM   #166
dralarms

Well I just got off the phone with George's partner and ordered 2 bottles of their engine shield, 2 bottles of their transmission shield, and a 16 oz bottle of the weapon shield. These guy's are great. I'll let you know how the engine and transmission shield works if anyone is interested.
Old July 26, 2007, 11:47 AM   #167
gcfennell

Doc

Thanks Doc for the kind words

Quote:
I'll let you know how the engine and transmission shield works if anyone is interested.
I AM! Please let us know

Best regards,
George
Old July 26, 2007, 03:43 PM   #168
yomama

I haven't been able to get to the range since I got mine, but last night I did use some on a utility knife I have. It's only a ten dollar knife, but it's been good to me and has helped me greatly. It's got a tanto blade, and just has a great look. Probably four years old.

I used the weapon shield on it, and at first noticed the look of the metal changed. Some of the noticable scratches disappeared. Much harder look to it. The glue that had been stuck on the cutting surface due to many many boxes wiped off after only soaking for five minutes. The blade looks brand new, and the surface has a wicked shine.

As a side note, the wood part of the handle also benifited, bringing out great color and depth.

I'm impressed, and look forward to getting my hands on a bigger bottle.
Old July 26, 2007, 03:47 PM   #169
parrothead2581

I haven't used it on a dirty pistol yet, however I did just finish using it on a Colt Gold Cup. The pistol was essentially spotless to begin with, but the Weapon Shield did pick up a little bit of fouling.

The best part however, is the feel of the action. It is much slicker. Before I used this product it felt kind of gritty. Now it feels great.

Thank you Mr. Fennell!
Old July 27, 2007, 07:28 PM   #170
Napahunter

I'v had my weapon sheild for a week now... And all my weapons are ALL cleaned and lubed!!! My 10/22 hasen't been cleaned in 550 + rounds, I cleaned it with WS, holy crap i NEVER felt the action so smooth EVER. I didn't tell my brother in law and he cycled the action and damn near fainted, and wanted to know what i did. Usualy it feels like there is a litttle bit of grit in there now it's SMOOTH!! So then on to the bolt actions, cleaned,bolts SMOOTH!! I thank you so much for this sample and opening my eyes to a better cleaner and lube !! I will be ordering more ASAP.. Thank you!
Old July 27, 2007, 08:27 PM   #171
Magdaddy

Thank you, George.

As a long time user of FP-10 I was a bit skeptical of the claims George made in his original post, so I had to try it. It does exactly what he says, he may have even been a little modest. I did my own comparison test, where I cleaned two seperate pistiols, one with each cleaner.Then swapped and cleaned both again. Both pistlos in the same caliber using the same ammo (300 rounds each on this morning).Weapon Shield won hands down. I will be ordering this.
Old July 27, 2007, 08:42 PM   #172
RedneckFur

Used weapon shield to clean a 336W 30-30 and my marlin 982S. Before, I'd exclusively used hoppes on the 30-30, and breakfree on the .22mag. I'm very impressed with how the weapon shield cleaned out the barrels of both. The weapons shield seems to cling to stainless steel a little better than blued... The 30-30 has a streaked apearance, but i can tell that the stuff is there. Operating the actions of both guns, i can tell that they are noticeably smoother.

I want to order more! Where can i get it?
Old July 27, 2007, 08:45 PM   #173
dralarms

http://www.steelshieldtech.com/
Old July 27, 2007, 09:24 PM   #174
gcfennell

Paypal Disabled

A quick announcement:

For those of you who ordered WS-CLP or any other products via paypal on our website, no worries, all orders are being fulfilled. As of this evening, we removed paypal from our website entirely due to their anti-gun politics and policy as well as their affiliates.

We will replace them soon with a direct online payment method that does not violate the sanctity of our heritage, freedom, and right to keep and bear arms, amongst other violations involving our "pursuit of happiness".

I sincerely apologize to anyone we may have offended by using their service.

Thank you.

Best regards,
George

Last edited by gcfennell; July 28, 2007 at 07:43 AM. Reason: not to be construed as advertising...removed the numbers
Old July 28, 2007, 12:18 PM   #175
yomama

You're the man!

I love it George. Your belief in your product, and gun rights is amazing. I'm impressed with your dedication to the shooting community. I wish we had more friends like you.

I'm sure paypal will still make plenty with the smut industry....great ethics there I guess?