The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 9, 2002, 06:28 AM   #1
Khornet

When you load .45ACP real slow...

Years ago I read Col. Askins' book 'The Art of Handgun Shooting' as my bible, and learned a lot. He talks about loading .45 as low as possible for target, and I think he was using something like 3.5 gr Bullseye at one point. When I finally got a 1911, that's what I did. Got light springs from Wulff, and ever since have been shooting 185 lead or 200 lead in my Gold Cup with as little as 3.4 gr Bullseye.. a nice, comfy load which functions just fine.

My point? Airgunners will tell you that follow-through is much more critical than with firearms because of the longer barrel time with the slow pellet. So lately I'm wondering whether I couldn't get better accuracy (more correctly, better shooter performance) with a somewhat hotter load. And of course, each cartridge has an optimum velocity for accuracy. Any thoughts?
Old October 9, 2002, 06:42 AM   #2
BigG

3.5 gr of Bullseye (200 gr LSWC) is a classic target load for the 45 ACP.

After experimentation, I now shoot 6 grains of Unique because it tightened up my groups considerably fired in my Colts.

I would think the dwell time would require a longer shooter follow thru on a slow bullet, as you suggest.

Am also a fan of Charley Askins. Have you read his "Unrepentant Sinner?"
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old October 9, 2002, 11:01 AM   #3
Khornet

BigG,

no, I haven't but I need to.
Old October 9, 2002, 11:35 AM   #4
stans

Regardless of the dwell time, you need to practice good follow through. I am sure that the longer the dwell time, the more critical follow through becomes.
Old October 9, 2002, 01:55 PM   #5
BigG

Follow thru...

Yeah, Stans, and it also helps if you hold your tongue just the right way!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old October 9, 2002, 03:33 PM   #6
Poodleshooter

You want slow .45s? I was getting velocities under 600fps with some rather anemic 230gr loads shot during my last session. Accuracy was lousy.
Old October 9, 2002, 04:02 PM   #7
retiredsgt

load .45ACP real slow

A number of years back, I got rid of my Custom built .45 and started to use a S.& W. 25 in .45 ACP, in NRA matches. I needed to put an Ultra Dot on it and I developed a load of 3.0 gr. of Bullseye under a 185 gr. bullet. Really a tight group. Whatever works!