The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 3, 2007, 09:43 PM   #1
miscusi

I cant afford an AR 15 Please Help...

I am shocked at the prices of these types of rifles, even as a kit it is very expensive. I used to use a M16a2 when I was in the army, I kind of miss having one around. I know the ones I buy now dont have auto or 3 rd burst like that but I just want one.

I basically want one for no reason, maybe shoot it once a month, 20 rounds. It dont need to be heavy duty, dont need to really be accurate, it just need to be just what it needs to be... a real gun.

So anyone know where I can get the world's cheapest M16 ? some made in 3rd world country by underpaid starving laborers ? I need as cheap as can get.

I'm beggin here.. anyone knows of some made in nowhere brand that wont blow up in my face ?

I just want to hang it on the wall... hmm... airsoft ? no NO...

Also, I have a C &R so anyone knows of any really old ones that is legal ( non auto ) ??

MY LORD PLEASE I'M DESPERATE....
Old January 3, 2007, 10:10 PM   #2
miscusi

seems like this is my only viable option..

ebay airsoft for around 30 bucks....
Old January 3, 2007, 10:15 PM   #3
VUPDblue

What is your targeted budget for such a piece? Give us an idea of what you want to spend, and we can advise you of your best route.
Old January 3, 2007, 10:19 PM   #4
UniversalFrost

First off in NYC you can not have one in the city. Their are a couple of gun stores outside the city that offer the option of storing the rifle for you (most want you to buy from them for this option to be in effect). For a low priced rifle you can look at used DPMS, STAG or EAGLE units. Check out gunbroker, auctionarms, or guns america for any deals. Sometime you can get a steal on one for around $500, but you are most likely gonna pay around $700 for one that has a couple hundred rounds down the barrel.

If you want to biuld one then you can piece one together for around 500 on the cheap or around 700 with quality parts. Plus building one lets you really "know" the gun. I have posted complete instructions here in the past (see my previous threads or just search here). Also AR15.com has an excellent guide with photos that I linked to as well in the past. Other than a few special (and essential) tools you can put one together by yourself.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old January 3, 2007, 10:49 PM   #5
shaggy

Getting any gun in NYC is going to be tough...and an AR15 or M16 will be impossible. Disregarding that minor setback for a moment, a full-auto AR15 or M16 is going to run you serious cash - $9,000-10,000 bare minimum. You would have to form a corporation in a state like Pennsylvania which allows machineguns, and buy it through the corporation as a corporate asset. The gun would have to stay in that state unless you filed a form 5320.20 with BATFE to move it interstate, but if its to NYC or any end destination where the state or local law doesn't allow it, the form will not be approved.

For a semiauto AR15 you'll need to get a permit from the city to have the rifle in your home before you can even purchase it, but that won't be approved either. You can get rifles in the city, but hi-cap mags are not legal nor are most or the guns that take them. That said, I had a friend in Brooklyn who was able to get an HK SL8, but now you're back to more money than a cheap AR15.
Old January 3, 2007, 11:35 PM   #6
jimbob_rebel

Do what?!?!?!

Shaggy wrote; "You would have to form a corporation in a state like Pennsylvania which allows machineguns, and buy it through the corporation as a corporate asset. " O.k., This is interresting..........Is a "corporation" permitted to buy FA weapons produced after May 19, 1986 ? Per the McClure-Volkmer Act of 1986, civilians are prohibited from possessing full-auto firearms manufactured after May 19, 1986. http://www.gunlawnews.org/FOPA-86.html I wouldn't mind picking up something FA but I'm not real interrested in blowing 5 grand minimum for a pre-'86 sub gun.
Old January 4, 2007, 04:19 AM   #7
miscusi

my gawd.... that is alot of BS to have to go through.

Very basic, I applied for a rifle and shotgun permit a while back, it is taking forever.. i currently have a handgun premis permit along with a C&R for the midwayusa discounts.

( YEs my sole purpose for getting the C&R is the discounts )

I would like to have an AR15 Semi auto. just for fun. I have a glock 19 for general target fun, will get a shotgun 12GA for "home defense" once the permit comes in ( taking forever )... So this AR15 is for old times sake, I used to clean that freaking M16 every day, carry it for miles and miles in my hands, on a sling, in my pocket, I shot all sorts of targets with it, I even fired it with no earplugs once and WOW it was loud. I shot some pretty tight groups with that sucker... lots of memories.. SO I just would like to have one around, nostalgia and all...

As cheap as I can get one, no hurry though, that permit is taking freaking forever.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old January 4, 2007, 04:25 AM   #8
shaggy

Jimbob -

Unfortunately just forming a corporate entity as a vehicle to buy NFA weapons does not allow you to get pre or post samples - you can still only buy transferable machineguns just like any other individual. It merely provides a method to buy them if you live in a state or locality that prohibits NFA weapons, or in a locality where you can't get a signoff on the form 4.
Old January 4, 2007, 08:15 AM   #9
GunLoverr

Get an AK clone then. It looks better anyway, because you KNOW it will work. When I see an AR I think "problems." Not problems in the first few hundred rounds, but AFTER that.
Old January 4, 2007, 08:20 AM   #10
Lycanthrope

You can build a kit gun for under $600. Otherwise, shop around and build it over time with some deals. They can be found, it just takes some time.
Old January 4, 2007, 08:28 AM   #11
1BadF350

Quote:
Get an AK clone then. It looks better anyway, because you KNOW it will work. When I see an AR I think "problems." Not problems in the first few hundred rounds, but AFTER that.
After that what? I have thousands of rounds through my AR rifles without one problem.
Old January 4, 2007, 08:43 AM   #12
Clayfish

Quote:
This guys obviously never owned an AR.:barf:
Old January 4, 2007, 09:35 AM   #13
VUPDblue

A quick clean-up after a range trip keeps mine working just fine. After every third or so outing, I do a complete cleaning. This is how I treat almost all my guns, not just the AR, so it is no more of a pain than cleaning the 10/22 or the bolt-actions. If you have the right cleaning tools, ie: chamber brush and gas tube brush, life will be much easier when it comes to cleaning. This has kept my AR's running fine after several thousands of rounds.
Old January 4, 2007, 10:19 AM   #14
Clayfish

My Ar never required anything but a quick whipe down and a bore snake. As a matter of fact I decided to do a torture test and put several thousand down the tube with no cleaning at all. This test was over about 6 months and included a case of brown bear ammo. I never had a failure of any kind and I gave up and whiped down once again. I've never cleaned a gas system on an Ar so I couldn't tell you how much of a pain it is. Not that I don't know how it's just that I've never needed to. I've seen just as many Aks jam as I have Ars so who's playing the gun snob around here? An Ak is a great weapon but I wouldn't take one over an Ar. Let's stop turning this thread into and Ar vs. Ak rant. There are enough of those going around.
Old January 4, 2007, 10:23 AM   #15
Csspecs

I don't think you can even have the airsoft gun in NYC.

ALL firearms have problems and must be cleaned, the AR-15 is no different. You will not find a firearm that never needs to be cleaned, AKs might be close but they are not perfect either.
Old January 4, 2007, 10:37 AM   #16
AK103K

Quote:
That's about what a gun owner SHOULD do, but the problem with ARs is that you HAVE to do it that way. I don't trust a battle rifle that causes me to take my attention from the battle and put it on my tool. Always having in the back of my mind whether it's time to clean after a few hundred rounds is not good battlefield tactics.
I dont know what kind of AR your using, but I've shot my Colt, and Armalites well past a few hundred rounds at a sitting and never had any issues. My Colt has shot well over a 1000 rounds at a sitting, and more than just a few times too, most of which were rapid fire from a number of shooters, and again, never an issue. I've also shot more than a few M16's over the years, and never remember having any troubles. What are you basing your claims of troubles on?

I own both AR's and AK's, shoot both on a regular basis, and both work well. The AR's are more reliable and the AK's more accurate than the internet experts will always tell you. If you have one that wont work, you either have a bad example, or its a personal problem, or both. There are a lot of crappy copies of both examples (and others) out there, which seems to be where most who post seem to have picked up their experience.(if they actually really have any decent amount of hands on experience with any) Any of the actual weapons, produced by military contract, or their makers, that they are based on, have always been reliable and more than combat accurate.
Old January 4, 2007, 10:56 AM   #17
1BadF350

Quote:
That's a cheap and lazy assumption. I own an AR pistol that I had build and I had two bushies that I traded for my car.
That's great. I have 5 Rock rivers in various configurations, 3 of which I built myself. Not one of them jams.....ever. I've let them sit between 2-3 range sessions WITHOUT cleaning and they still have never jammed.
If yours are jaming then YOU didn't build it right.
Old January 4, 2007, 11:36 AM   #18
miscusi

I don't think you can even have the airsoft gun in NYC.

I wouldnt be suprised, so please, if any NYC politiction ie Guliani, runs for office where you are, vote against them. thank you
Old January 4, 2007, 11:52 AM   #19
constitution

I have a factory built bushmaster carbine model that I orderd back in 91 and it has been shot quite a bit,I only had the gas key come loose because of my foolish tinkering to clean it down to every last part when it first arrived .After it has had its initial cleaning, it gets the standard cleaning any of my guns get and has held up fine.

No malfunctions,and hits what Im shootin at.I cant ask for more.As far as cheap goes,make sure its legal where you live and then get a barrel'd upper that has had the gas tube and sight already on the barrel,itll save headaches later on.A piece here and there and eventually youll have one.
Old January 4, 2007, 12:15 PM   #20
OBIWAN

The AR platform is not nearly as maintenance intensive as some would have you believe

A well built rifle will require much less tender loving care than most eveyone here gives them

A poorly built rifle will go down no matter how much life support is applied
Old January 4, 2007, 12:19 PM   #21
Desert Heat

Quote:
Sounds like you are in wrong part of town, you in a heep of trouble boy!
Old January 4, 2007, 12:31 PM   #22
BUSTER51

NY.tough break I grew up in NJ and know all about the BS gun laws you have to deal with .your only hope is to move to a state that respects and honors the Constitution.but at least you have great pizza,great bagels,and real danish. unfortuneatly you also have Hillery,Al sharpton and a bunch of left wing morons in charge of takeing away you rights .
Old January 4, 2007, 01:40 PM   #23
miscusi

rights? you mean I have rights ?
Old January 4, 2007, 02:16 PM   #24
USMCG_HMX1

I have to concur with everyone else. I have never had a problem with any of the AR-15/M-16A2 models I've fired, and once you know the weapon cleaning it is very easy. Even after range work, a few passes of the bore brush, some oiled patches, and a quick wipe down was all I've ever done until I was done shooting, and then an old bore brush on the locking lugs will remove all the crud in about 5 minutes. Complete cleaning shouldn't take more than 45 mins.

The only time I've had a jam was due to a magazine that was worn out. As soon as I replaced it the rifle never had a problem. I've found that the steel ones can take a bit more abuse than the aluminium ones, but if its worn out replacements can be found almost anywhere.

Kris
Old January 4, 2007, 03:21 PM   #25
Abominable No-Man

Build one. It's not hard. If you have any kind of mechanical ability, you can assemble an AR. I can't do much for you with your laws, but if you are interested, PM me and I can fill you in more.

Shop around. Everyone wants M-4's lately, sometimes you can find a hell of a deal on used A2-style barrels and stocks.

You don't need to do as much as people say to keep an AR running. If it comes to the point where you have to clean the gas tube that much to keep the rifle running, you need to replace the gas tube. AR pistols have a stodgy reputation for reliability. Some work, some don't. I would personally avoid them, but YMMV.

"Do you trust who I trust? Me, myself, and I...."