The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 31, 2012, 04:44 PM   #1
pjp74

Holster Positions

Okay, I have seen more and more people carrying at the 2-oclock position instead of the customary 4-5-oclock position. I'm a lefty so it would the 10-oclock position instead of the 8-oclock position. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to moving your holster forwards, or is it simply preference. Sorry if this question has been asked before. I am currently trying the 10-oclock position and it seems to just stab me in the gut.
Old January 31, 2012, 04:47 PM   #2
g.willikers

Is that anything like the missionary position?
Ok, serious answer.
If there was an accidental discharge in the holster, would you rather the holster be in the 10 or 4 o'clock position?
Especially if sitting down.
Old January 31, 2012, 07:02 PM   #3
ltc444

The position is what works best for the wearer. To me the important factor is that it allways be in the same postion. That way when I am required to draw I will not have to think about were the weapon is and i will (through practice) grip the weapon in the same manner and complete a smooth draw.
Old January 31, 2012, 07:12 PM   #4
pjp74

Thanks for the replies, LTC that makes very good sense, tried at the 10-oclock position, totally uncomfortable, going back to 8-oclock where I have always carried.
Old January 31, 2012, 10:02 PM   #5
Jeremiah/Az

The 4:00 position works best for me. I don't like any position in front where if something got caught in the trigger, coat string, shirttail, etc., you could shoot yourself on reholstering.
Old January 31, 2012, 10:36 PM   #6
KC Rob

I have always carried at 6 O'clock, small of the back. If I had an ND back there, hopefully it would only hit me where the good Lord split me and I would be OK. That being said, I don't like that position for retention reasons, I am always afraid that if someone made my weapon they could sneak up behind me and snatch it. So, I am about to order a Theis Holster to try carrying at 4 O'Clock, I think that will work better for me.
Old January 31, 2012, 10:55 PM   #7
rem1858

An accidental discharge in the holster ?

You better get a different holster.

The trigger is covered until you withdraw the firearm from the holster...

I do not know about all the different and types of firarms out there but I carry a 1911.

If there is anyway to fire the pistol while it is holstered then you have a holster problem or a pistol problem.

1911 cocked and locked.
The most safe pistol there is.
It may look scary cocked and locked, but you must have three things enabled to fire the pistol.
Safety off- grip safety on-squeeze the trigger.

Too many different firearms and not enough education in my book.
Off my soap box.

Clarence
Distinguished Revolver Badge #99
Old January 31, 2012, 10:57 PM   #8
Viper225

I carry at 4 O'Clock most all the time . Once in a while I will move the holster forward to 3 O'Clock. The 3 O'Clock position is normally for Open Carry.

I notice the Instructors on Best Defense carry at 2 O'Clock. What I find is 2 O'Clock will work well if you are on your feet, and are carrying a fairly short barrel handgun. 2 O'Clock leaves a lot to be desired for me when setting down.

If you can make 2 O'Clock for you, go for it. I spend way to much time setting or bending. I will stay with 4 O'Clock, it works best for me.

Like was mentioned above, I do not plan to start carrying in different locations. I like the handgun to be where it is supposed to be if I need it.

Bob
Old February 1, 2012, 12:10 AM   #9
pjp74

Viper, I like you spend a lot of time sitting or squatting/kneeling, doing refrigeration service work in the DFW area, it is not uncommon to have to drive 25-75 miles between jobs, I tried the 10 O'clock position, but I can't drive like that so it is back to 8 O'clock position.
Old February 1, 2012, 01:32 AM   #10
BillCA

Holster positions should be thought out in advance. There is a reason most folks carry between 3 o'clock and 5 o'clock (7-9 for lefties).

Some of it depends on your physique, some of it on what you do for a living and the kinds of people you're likely to encounter. If you are frequently standing within close proximity of strangers, persons who may be angry or hostile, then wearing the gun in front may be a potential disaster if they see it and grab for it. If you have a "round" shape, sit a lot (driving, desk) or work close to a counter, carrying in front be difficult. On a "round" body shape the gun may be more visible. Sitting at a desk or standing at a counter can interfere with access. In driving, the gun can be uncomfortable under the seatbelt and a dangerous hazard in a collision (pressed into the body by the impact forces).

And, of course, the muzzle will point at your groin/thigh/femoral artery when sitting. This is not a good idea. Remember one of the safety rules is never depend on mechanical safeties and muzzle discipline.

The draw from the front is somewhat different for a lot of folks. My natural reaction (because I've always drawn from 3-5 o'clock) is to crouch during the draw. I expect to do this in reaction to the presentation of a knife, club, gun or other weapon. When accessing a front-carry gun, you stand more upright to leaning back as you draw. This runs counter to the instinct to duck or crouch as an attack begins. This is especially true if you have a few extra pounds around the middle - bending over makes the draw more difficult.

3 o'clock carry allows your arm/elbow to cover your weapon in crowded conditions (concerts, parties, holiday shopping). It also means someone in front has to get a step or to closer to grab for the weapon -- right where you can employ your legs, feet and knees too. The downside of 3 o'clock carry is that it can be more visible. Your silhouette may look asymmetrical with a bulge on your strong side even when carrying IWB. Skinny guys can get away with it, or men who's shoulders are wider than their waists.

4 o'clock to 5 o'clock positions are favored because the gun can usually hide in the "hollow" formed between the buttocks and the mid-back and the body partially hides the gun from frontal view. Techniques for the draw here are well developed and don't depend on you standing erect or crouching, nor does your body generally interfere with the draw.

6 o'clock is, in many people's opinion, a hazardous position to carry your weapon. While it's well concealed from the front, it is not always apparent if your cover garment has "flipped up" in the wind or from some other source to reveal your weapon. Additionally the hazard comes in to play if you are knocked down on your back on a hard surface (asphalt, concrete, hard earth). That gun or its grip is riding just next to one or more vertebrae in your spine. The metal is harder than the bone and impact with a hard surface is like being hit in the spine with a hammer. Several police officers have been permanently disabled in this manner. The potential for a life of pain (or worse) is too great for me to use this method.
Old February 1, 2012, 01:32 AM   #11
Nanuk

You are talking about appendix carry. With the right gun, right holster and in the sweet spot it can be very comfortable, very fast and very concealable. I like to carry my BUG there, now a LCR 357.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old February 1, 2012, 02:00 AM   #12
fivepaknh

When on my belt my carry is always 7:00. I sit a lot at work and it's most comfortable there. Also, if I'm ever being robbed it looks as though I'm reaching for my wallet.
Old February 1, 2012, 02:05 AM   #13
BillCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem1858
If there is anyway to fire the pistol while it is holstered then you have a holster problem or a pistol problem.

1911 cocked and locked.
The most safe pistol there is.
It may look scary cocked and locked, but you must have three things enabled to fire the pistol.
Safety off- grip safety on-squeeze the trigger.

Too many different firearms and not enough education in my book.
Off my soap box.
Even a holster with a covered trigger can be fired in the holster -- if/when someone is attempting to snatch the gun and a wrestling match ensues. A high school friend's father, a police officer, was off duty when a guy attacked him, discovered the gun and tried to snatch it. He was able to put enough pressure through the leather to pull the trigger. Not on a 1911 or something like a High-Power. But on a Colt Diamondback DA revolver. Fortunately the round only lightly grazed his buttock. The powder burns hurt worse.

The 1911 is generally a safe pistol. As a reminder to never rely on mechanical safeties, there is a report where a Series 80 1911 discharged with both the manual thumb safety engaged and the grip safety engaged. Any gun with an inertial firing pin system can be forced to discharge. It may be unlikely in daily carry, even highly unlikely, but as soon as your angel looks away, that's when Mr. Murphy steps in to bite your behind.
Old February 1, 2012, 05:24 AM   #14
BfloBill

I usually carry at 3:00, I find it hides well and I like the idea of having it under my arm for retention purposes in a struggle, and when I bend over or squat (as if to tie my shoe or pick something up) it prints less than in the 4 or 5:00 position.
I have occasionally used appendix carry and crossdraw carry, but found that it interferes with the thumb break (I like the extra security) during my draw, so if I carry in either of those places I use a holster without a thumb break.
Old February 2, 2012, 02:06 AM   #15
TheNocturnus

5:00 for primary and 2:00 for BUG.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old February 4, 2012, 09:00 AM   #16
m&p45acp10+1

I am a south paw, and have found it most comfortable to carry in the just behind the 9 oclock position. I do a lot of moving around, bending, and sitting down. If I am going to be driving a long time I put the gun in the consile of the truck due to it being difficult to draw from the left side with the door close to my side. I also carry a BUG in my pocket.

If I know I am going to be doing a lot of moving and bending I just stick with carrying my BUG in my pocket. I do pretty much anything, and the gun does not become uncofortable.
Old February 6, 2012, 03:59 AM   #17
PADefenseTrainer

If I'm walking around I typically use the 4:00 position since it's concealable and easy to access. But what a lot of people don't think about is, I can also reach it with my left hand.

So if I'm injured, or just can't use my right hand for some reason, I have options.

If I'm driving long distances or through "questionable" areas, I like a cross-draw so I can access my firearm while sitting down.

".. a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." - Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)
Old February 6, 2012, 05:52 AM   #18
BlackFeather

I've not carried as much as some of you have, but for access I do prefer appendix carry. I carry a knife weak side not much different than the pistol. But that's mostly IWB. I wear a lot of long coats in winter and would prefer OWB at 4:00 as most said with a knife in a shoulder harness or left hand 9:00.

I prefer Appendix because your hand moves past it in most cases. It just seems more natural.

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old February 6, 2012, 04:21 PM   #19
Stevie-Ray

4:00 for me-actually more like 3:30 OWB.
Old March 3, 2012, 08:38 PM   #20
Shakgul

Practicing at home.

I am still waiting on my license and while practicing sitting and drawing at home I have found the 2 o clock the most comfortable, and the easiest to draw. While sitting the barrel is going over the out side of my hip. I just bought a Beretta p4 storm, full size .40. The slide is hard to pull and it's hard to pack 14 in the clip but it shoots nicely.
Old March 3, 2012, 09:36 PM   #21
napg19

In the past I carried a P95 in the 6 o'clock position. One night I was walking the dog and walked down a small slope and on a wet spot and I slipped backwards right on top of the gun. Panic was my first thought cause it HURT. I was lucky that night and stopped the 6 position. Now days I carry a LCP in the 10 position(south paw) in a slot holster(as I call it). two pieces of leather sewn together with belt slots in it. Great when driving and sitting with good gun retention.
Old March 4, 2012, 01:28 AM   #22
9mm

3 to 6 I say, in your case 9 to 6?

I tried 1 and 2 spots and well I hate it because its right on my leg and I feel like if I pulled my gun out in a hurry I could shoot myself and bleed out in seconeds in the front, so I think its stupid to carry there. I like 3 to 6, nothing to worry about. When you sit down with it at 1-2 spots it hurts, I can feel the barrel on my leg and doesn't feel right, as gun rule's say keep barrel away from anything you don't want to destory. I rather have my butt shot by mistake than a main artery.
Just my 2 cents.
Old March 4, 2012, 08:43 AM   #23
Hansam

Primary in 4. BUG in my boot.

My primary is either a Bersa UC 45 or a 1911. Neither will be very comfortable at 2 if I'm sitting and/or driving (which I do a lot of).

Oh and the last thing I want/need is for an AD and a 45 caliber JHP bullet to rip through my crotch area... lots very important items down there.
Old March 4, 2012, 08:51 AM   #24
AH.74

Quote:
Ok, serious answer.
If there was an accidental discharge in the holster, would you rather the holster be in the 10 or 4 o'clock position?
Especially if sitting down.
Seriously? Do you really consider this for even a second?

Explain to me how a discharge is possible if I'm sitting and my gun is holstered AIWB.

Holster gremlins?
Old March 4, 2012, 09:05 PM   #25
BillCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH.74
Explain to me how a discharge is possible if I'm sitting and my gun is holstered AIWB.
Without knowing the kind of gun you'd be carrying it makes it problematic.

If you're just sitting there it's unlikely. It's when other things happen that accidents can happen. Remember, we should never rely on a safety mechanism in lieu of muzzle and trigger discipline.

If your mode of carry points the muzzle at some portion of your anatomy, with reliance on a safety mechanism to prevent a discharge, that's considered an unsafe method of carry.

A gun at 2 o'clock with the muzzle pointed at the thigh, for example. But if the gun is at 1-2 o'clock in a crossdraw format, with the muzzle clear of the body, that's considered safe (not withstanding the deficiencies of crossdraw carry).