The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 21, 2015, 08:24 AM   #1
CoffeedrinkerinNC

Printing vs Brandishing

Is there a real difference in the eyes of the law? I carry a full size gun, G20, and I know at times the gun is printing. It's not often, but it does happen. I'm more worried about the over zealous anti-gun nut calling the law, and then getting the over zealous LEO.

I know how to dress properly to keep my gun covered 99% of the time, I have been carrying a full size gun from about 1996. But as we all know, it's the 1% that can get you in trouble.
Old January 21, 2015, 08:49 AM   #2
jimbob86

Quote:
I'm more worried about the over zealous anti-gun nut calling the law, and then getting the over zealous LEO.
If your state is Open Carry legal, then I would not worry about either one.

If not- better to get a more concealable gun, IMHO.

Might be a good idea, anyhow. You should not count on every criminally minded person to be an unobservant idiot ...... remember these people do this stuff for a living, sometimes.
Old January 21, 2015, 09:58 AM   #3
aarondhgraham

It all depends on the DA,,,

It all depends on the District Attorney.

We had a DA here in Oklahoma who was very anti-2A,,,
He instructed the county sheriff office to cite any printing as brandishing.

Interestingly enough,,,
A judge shot down many of those citations.

He informed the DA's office that simply calling it brandishing doesn't make it so.

His take was that printing was a passive thing,,,
For it to be called brandishing it had to be an active thing.

Two people I know who received citations,,,
Had them thrown out when they challenged them in court.

Then the next DA was 2A friendly and he did away with that policy.

Then we got open carry so the point is now moot.

Law enforcement often makes their own definitions,,,
Based on the "because we can" principle.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 21, 2015, 10:10 AM   #4
BarryLee

Not an expert, but I was under the impression that North Caroline was an open carry State. If so could this still be an issue in some way? In other words is open carry legal, but if you carry concealed it has to be totally concealed?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 21, 2015, 10:42 AM   #5
FITASC

In FL brandishing involves using your gun in a threatening manner, quite different that simply printing or inadvertently exposing it.
Old January 21, 2015, 06:22 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeedrinkerinNC
Is there a real difference in the eyes of the law?
Whose law? We have fifty states plus the District of Columbia, and each has its own laws.

The gun laws of many states have no definition of "brandishing," and I very much doubt that any state has a legal definition for printing. To me, "brandishing" means waving a firearm around in an open, obvious, and threatening manner. However, I am aware that people have been arrested for "brandishing" for simply brushing back a cover garment to reveal a concealed firearm. (But I don't know if the charges resulted in a conviction.)

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; January 21, 2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old January 21, 2015, 08:13 PM   #7
Paul B.

Not sure how "printing" would be handled here in Arizona. Considering some of the LEO are definitely anti even though we are a "Constitutional" state and I know some of the assistant county Attorneys are rabidly anti I feel discretion is the better part of valor. I have a CCW permit and choose an S&W M60 that I carry in an IWB holster. It's small enough that I can wear it semi-openly most of the time, usually in my vehicle and when I go to a store or out to eat. it slips conveniently into my right front pocket. That way I don't freak some bliss-ninny out because. "He's got a GUN!" I do believe Arizona does have a specific brandishing law and IIRC, just moving the covering garment back to expose the weapon qualifies as brandishing.
Paul B.
Old January 21, 2015, 09:06 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Let's consider the definition of the word "brandishing:"

Quote:
to wave or flourish (something, especially a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement.
While different states have different laws, I can't see a situation in which a holstered gun, not in the hand, could possibly meet that definition. Inadvertent exposure can be a problem in localities that forbid open carry, but it still doesn't meet the definition.
Old January 22, 2015, 02:32 AM   #9
steve4102

Quote:
Let's consider the definition of the word "brandishing:"

Quote:
to wave or flourish (something, especially a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement.
While different states have different laws, I can't see a situation in which a holstered gun, not in the hand, could possibly meet that definition. Inadvertent exposure can be a problem in localities that forbid open carry, but it still doesn't meet the definition.
What about, opening your coat or cover garment, to show your "weapon" to someone, letting them know you are armed?
Old January 22, 2015, 09:52 AM   #10
btmj

How "printing" is handled is very much state by state, or even county by county dependent.

My sister's CCW class was taught by the chief of police of a mid-size municipality here in St Louis county (this was 3-4 years ago). According to her, he told the class the "concealed carry does not mean undetectable carry". If the gun is concealed, you are within the law, even if an observer is able to guess you might by armed by the way your clothing bulges or by the way the outline of the gun become visible when you bend over... those were his words paraphrased.

A different state, different county... it could be very different interpretation.

Jim
Old January 22, 2015, 10:55 AM   #11
CowTowner

Quote:
What about, opening your coat or cover garment, to show your "weapon" to someone, letting them know you are armed?
I'd call that a flourish.

Quote:
noun: flourish; plural noun: flourishes
a bold or extravagant gesture or action, made especially to attract the attention of others.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 22, 2015, 12:05 PM   #12
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowTowner
Quote:
I'd call that a flourish...
If there was evidence that your purpose in showing your gun was to threaten or intimidate or secure compliance , a prosecutor, judge and/or jury might call it "brandishing" or "assault."
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old January 22, 2015, 12:45 PM   #13
CowTowner

Quote:
a prosecutor, judge and/or jury might call it "brandishing" or "assault."
My point exactly, Frank. Flourish being used in the definition of brandishing as provided by Tom Servo in Post #8.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 23, 2015, 12:50 PM   #14
Don P

Quote:
I'd call that being foolish/childish/dumb idea and asking for trouble.
Try that in a traffic stop when the LEO walks up to your car door
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.