The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2011, 10:39 PM   #1
ryans01z28

can i use this swager with a lee press

i just ordered a Lee Reloader Single Stage Press Manufacturer #: 90045 and a RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo Manufacturer #: 9495 from Midway and i want to use that as my dedicated primer swager and was reading a review after i ordered it an one person said it didnt work so well with a lee reloader and you needed a O-shaped press. has anyone used this combo before?
Old August 2, 2011, 08:11 PM   #2
dmazur

Maybe someone who actually has a Lee Reloader press can confirm what is shown as a comment below this video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdkA7vDeaes

The guy with the Lee single stage said,

Quote:
( By the way, the case stripper won't work on my single stage Lee press because part of the frame gets in the way. I cut about an inch and a half of 1" aluminum tubing and stuck it up inside the stripper, making it "taller". It works fine now.)
Old August 2, 2011, 08:43 PM   #3
jepp2

I use my RCBS swage in a RockChucker press. It takes a lot of force to swage and you are going to have quite a bit of flex in that Lee (or any non-O shaped press).

Most new users of the RCBS swage combo bend the rod during the first use. Some never master proper set up. Take the time to read the instructions, sort your brass by headstamp, and go by feel. I have swaged over 10,000 223 rounds in my RCBS swage combo and never bent the rod. So it can be used successfully.
Old August 2, 2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Sport45

I wouldn't use anything less than the Lee Challenger with a pocket swager, and I'd go as easy as I could on that one. In the meantime, pick up a Hornady primer pocket reamer (or similar) to take care of crimped brass.
Old August 2, 2011, 09:23 PM   #5
ryans01z28

I did cancle my order today untill i figure out if this is going to be a problem

Last edited by ryans01z28; August 2, 2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old August 2, 2011, 10:11 PM   #6
dmazur

If you're looking for a tool to swage primer pockets (which you only have to do once, for military brass...), you might consider the Dillon 600 Super Swager.

The only drawback of this is that it is a single-purpose tool...
Old August 2, 2011, 10:16 PM   #7
ryans01z28

Ya I had looked at that dillon super swager, couldn't I just use my lee 1000 turret press die and then use the Lyman 110 case prep center to take the crimp out? Isn't that all ur doing when u swage it is takeing the crimp out?
Old August 2, 2011, 10:55 PM   #8
Sport45

The swaging tools push the displaced material out of the primer pocket. The reamers trim it off.

I don't see any problem with reamers that remove the crimp chamfer the opening a bit as long as it's not overdone. Some don't want to remove any brass from the case and prefer to swage.
Old August 2, 2011, 11:05 PM   #9
ryans01z28

I suppose not chamfering it ensures the primer doesn't fall out or just helps whe the new one goes in. Idk which way to go, I still need to or want to get the Lyman case prep center for my other stages of cleaning so why not just use that I guess
Old August 3, 2011, 12:05 AM   #10
ryans01z28

Do any of the tools or dyes decapp and swage at the same time?
Old August 3, 2011, 12:07 AM   #11
Sport45

The primer isn't going to fall out either way. The chamfer helps line things up so they go in easier. The swage, if set up and used correctly should radius the top of the primer pocket a bit for this as well.
Old August 3, 2011, 12:13 AM   #12
dmazur

It's all about volume. If you only do 100 cases, your fingers probably won't notice too much. If you do 1000 cases, you will definitely know it.

The specialized tools are just faster and easier, not necessary.

(I trimmed cases for a couple of years with a lathe-type trimmer before my fingers got so tired I gave up and got a motorized unit..)

Some of these things just can't be determined from reading other's opinions. After you try something, you'll have some likes/dislikes. Then you'll read about something that's supposed to be better. You will weigh time savings against your budget, and you'll probably buy another reloading tool.

Expensive hobby.
Old August 3, 2011, 12:18 AM   #13
dmazur

Quote:
Do any of the tools or dyes decapp and swage at the same time?
Well, since decapping is pushing the primer out of the pocket, it is probably going to be difficult to swage the crimp out of the pocket at the same time, as that involves pushing a swaging rod into the pocket.

(You may have noticed a second rod in the RCBS unit, which is adjusted so it supports the primer pocket from the inside of the case. It doesn't swage.)

I believe there are dies available for the larger progressive presses (meaning lots of stations) which perform decapping and swaging at different stations. So, yes, you could say it is happening at the same time...to different cases.