The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 14, 2000, 01:57 PM   #1
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

OK, seriously geeky question here: anyone have the twist rate for an original Enfield No 4 Mk I? If not, I suppose I can do the cleaning rod and magic marker thing.

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson
Old February 14, 2000, 03:14 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

1:10

Jim
Old February 14, 2000, 03:41 PM   #3
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Thanks, Jim... laconic as ever.

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson
Old February 14, 2000, 05:55 PM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

COINNEACH/JIM
It should be pointed out that the twist is 1-10 Left hand concentric. Just a little trivia.

Rifle No. 4, MARK 1:
Adopted in November 1939. This rifle was the main British service rifle in WWII. Simplified for manufacture, the No. 4 has the heavy barrel, smaller bolt head, rear sight mounted on the receiver bridge, lightened nose cap, projecting barrel with lugs for spike type bayonet and front sight mounted on heavy band with protecting ears, similar to the Mark IV. The receiver is stronger and heavier that of the No 1's. The No 4 Mark 1 has been made with four different patterns of rear sights varying from finely machined adjustable leaf to "L" types and six patterns of bayonets are usable on the weapon. This rifle was made by B.S.A., Maltby, and Fazakerly. B.S.A. production of this rifle wand the No. 4 Mark 1 (T) was over 1,000,000 from 1940 to 1945. The No 4 Mark 1 was also made for sometime at the Stevens Arms branch of Savage Arms Corp. at Chicopee Falls, Mass., and Long Branch before production of the No 4 Mark 1*

HJN
Old February 14, 2000, 09:50 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, guys,

Just to round out the picture: Early No. 4 Mk 1 rifles had 5 grooves, LH twist. All following were LH except for a few 6 groove RH twist made in Canada post WWII. US and Canadian wartime production No. 4 Mk 1* had 2, 5, and 6 groove barrels.

All, though, had concentric Enfield rifling.

FYI, the name "Lee-Enfield" denotes the inventor and the type of rifling. The Lee-Metford was the Lee design using Metford rifling, and the Martini-Henry was a Martini design using Henry rifling.

Jim
Old February 14, 2000, 10:09 PM   #6
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

OK, dammit, now that my head is filled with even *more* useless information...

I just *had* to double-check. Left-5. Now can either of you tell me what the groove depth should be?

------------------
-- Samuel Johnson
Old February 15, 2000, 06:22 AM   #7
Bud Helms

Heck, I have a better question than that!

Harley, what do you mean by "concentric" in reference to the rifling?

Can rifling be eccentric? You must mean something other than bore alignment ... ?
Old February 15, 2000, 09:23 AM   #8
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

To All:
I have obviously infringed upon your discussion and I would like to apologize for that. As the SMLE has been brought up in this forum and others I thought the information could be usefull to someone.

Again let me apologize, it won't happen in your discussions again.

HJN
Old February 15, 2000, 11:46 AM   #9
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Jeez, Harley... lighten up a little, wouldja?

------------------
-- Samuel Johnson
Old February 15, 2000, 01:29 PM   #10
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Coinneach,

You should know by now that a rifle in production for that long would NOT have an easy answer.

Dr.Rob
Old February 15, 2000, 09:11 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Sorry, Harley, it is your forum; I won't get in again.

Jim
Old February 16, 2000, 12:01 AM   #12
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Jim:
Your information is of superb quality and very informative. I see no reason for you not to contribute. Your knowledge and expertise is far above many of us, and for me or anyone else to say it is not, just doesn't know. Stick around. I've learned a lot from your imput as many others have.

HJN
Old February 16, 2000, 04:30 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

Thanks for the kind words. I will try to help but not be too obtrusive.

Jim
Old February 21, 2000, 01:00 AM   #14
Big Bunny

Could I (carefully) add that the 2 groove Enfield barrels are in no way inferior to the others. In fact the reverse...NRA full-bore shooters preferred them (in Oz anyway) and also found they fouled less and were easier to clean.
[I believe the Bren(Brno-Enfield) 303 LMG also had this feature at one time, but the time(1972) I came to use them, they were re-barrelled in 308NATO and not so nice to shoot(compared with M60), also the magazine was horribly straight !]

------------------
***Big Bunny***