The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old May 17, 2009, 06:32 PM   #1
MrCasting

Looking for survival experts

CALLING ALL WILDERNESS GUIDES, SURVIVAL EXPERTS, MOUNTAIN AND MILITARY MEN! A MAJOR CABLE NETWORK WANTS YOU AS THE STAR OF THEIR NEXT TV SERIES. Are you someone who likes to escape civilization for extended amounts of time? Do you like to camp for weeks on end? Could you survive in the wilderness using only the natural tools given to you by nature? If you are a Survival Expert email: [email protected]
MrCasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 08:24 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Check out John Curry or Mark Baker. Both are students of the frontier rifleman (1750-1790) and are both big time writers in the muzzle loading magazines. They go into the woods with 18th Century technology (and if they carry a cell phone for emergency purposes, they've never mentioned it).
Old May 20, 2009, 11:55 PM   #3
Kmar40

Dr.
Ron
Hood.

End of story.
Kmar40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Johnnie Wadcutter

Yeah, what he said...

I checked out Ron Hood's website www.survival.com and was really impressed.
His videos on Youtube are really informative. I spent a major part of the holiday riveted to the 'puter. He looks like the 'Real Deal' IMHO, I'd love to take some of his classes. check him out.
Johnnie Wadcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2009, 05:56 PM   #5
Slugthrower

Look up Dave Canterbury. He posts through YouTube. From what I gather he is is either a former ranger or SF. His vids are very good and he deserves a shot at this thing. He goes by the screen name Wildernessoutfitters. Look him up you won't be disappointed.
Old June 5, 2009, 04:05 AM   #6
shooter007

Bear Grylls, survival expert, special forces, and good sense of humor.
shooter007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2009, 06:56 PM   #7
Kmar40

Quote:
Bear Grylls, survival expert, special forces, and good sense of humor.
I agree with that last part. The second is correct only in a general sense. He was a reserve who was trying to become a real SAS member but hurt himself--who's really surprised by that-- and never completed training. As for survival expert? No thanks. The average Eagle Scout knows more.

He's really good at sleeping in 5 star resorts while "roughing it" though.
Kmar40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2009, 11:59 AM   #8
kmullins

Quote:
I agree with that last part. The second is correct only in a general sense. He was a reserve who was trying to become a real SAS member but hurt himself--who's really surprised by that-- and never completed training. As for survival expert? No thanks. The average Eagle Scout knows more.

He's really good at sleeping in 5 star resorts while "roughing it" though.
I agree. His show is mildly entertaining at best and in my opinion, he's a big pansy. Bear is a fraud. And why the name "Bear" for guy like that? His name is Edward. Not the kind of guy who should have the nickname "Bear"...
Old June 16, 2009, 03:37 PM   #9
Nick-Mc

How about the guy that has the other show? On discovery channel. I think his name is Lee Stroud, beats Bear Gryllis by a long shot, the guy even carries his own camera equipment and actually stays out there, unlike Bear and his crew. Look at this video of one of Bear Gyllis' classic trips, clearly shows the hoax.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is
Nick-Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2009, 08:50 PM   #10
JagFarlane

LOL Nick, thanks I needed the laugh.
Old June 18, 2009, 10:22 AM   #11
Nick-Mc

No problem, I cracked up when I saw the video too, some survivalist bear gryllis is. that guy just saw the show and thought to himself I know where that is, right off the side of the road haha!
Nick-Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2009, 02:23 PM   #12
ndbbm

Thanks Nick for the laughs! I always knew the guy was full of it but never looked too much into it. I think the first clue I received was when he was in the Rockies and left the fishheads or whatever in his camp and the bear came that night! come on my seven year old knows better than that.
ndbbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2009, 08:30 PM   #13
MTT TL

Bear is an entertainer who thinks that drinking your own unfiltered pee is a good idea to stay hydrated (literally). That combined with all the idiotic and pointless risk taking in his show is just for that, show.
MTT TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2009, 12:18 AM   #14
Saguaro Firearms

yeah its funny. i know hes done his time, but not only is a lot of his show phony, he also does so many many stupid dangerous things that anyone in their right mind trying to survive would never do. like jee "let me climb 100 feet up this tree and risk breaking every bone in my body so i can have a looksy!" i don't know about that. its a good idea but i unno about half the stuff on there.
Saguaro Firearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2009, 06:56 AM   #15
gyvel

Hilarious!
gyvel is offline   Reply With Quote