The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 13, 2007, 01:27 AM   #1
Dithsoer

Vaqueros and Richards-Mason conversions

How do the new Ruger Vaqueros compare to the Colt SAA? I mean feel, smoothness of action, etc. Likewise, how accurate are they? Any problems with parts breakage?
Another revolver I was wondering about is Cimarron/Uberti's 1851 Richards/Mason conversion. Can I expect parts breakage and timing problems after a moderate amount of shooting as seems to be the case with the percussion models?
Old October 13, 2007, 10:13 AM   #2
jtaylor

I was close to buying the new Vaquero but went with and Uberti "Outfitter" in Stainless with a 5 1/2" barrel in .45lc.
The New Vaquero is smaller and lighter, more true to the real colt, it felt a little stiff, but not a stiff as my Uberti before an action job. I put in a Wolf spring and had some action work done on the Uberti and it's amazing, nice quality and more like the originals than any I've seen. It has a firing pin on the hammer and a 4 click hammer like the SAA.
I like the Rugers, but I'll buy an Uberti next time as well, they're really well made and with action work, are smooth and accurate.
Old October 13, 2007, 10:59 AM   #3
Hawg

The Ruger is well made and reliable. It looks like a Colt but that's where all similarities end. The Ruger is nothing like a Colt inside nor does it operate like one. I'll take Uberti every time. In fact not long ago I traded a NIB Ruger Bisley for a NIB Uberti.
Old October 15, 2007, 08:46 AM   #4
SundownRider

The conversion models by Cimarron are excellent revolvers, and some people feel they point shoot better than Colt SAA's. You can get them in a wide variety of centerfire calibers, from 38 Special to 45 Colt. If you're looking for an 1872 Open Top, I have one in 45Colt I could send pictures of if you're interested.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old October 15, 2007, 11:41 PM   #5
Eghad

I have two New Ruger Vaqueros in 45 LC. The fit and finish are nice. The only complaint I had was the factory grips. They just didn't feel right while shooting. I had a grip maker make me some that fit my hand better. I also have a Taylors SAA Clone, Taurus Guacho and a Colt SAA. Someday I plan on getting the Rugers slicked up by a local fellow who specializes in SASS guns.

With moderate shooting you shouldnt have any problems. With moderate shooting your choice shoud last a long time. If you are into shooting heavy like SASS then you may need some work done on some parts after sending a lot of lead downrange. A local guy tunes pistols up for about $99.00 a pop and has a good reputation in SASS. Some of the SASS shooters I talked to said that is the way to go because you can pay the piper sooner or later under heavy usage. I cant vouch for it either way....

NRA Life Member
Old October 16, 2007, 01:16 AM   #6
Dithsoer

SundownRider
How accurate is your Open Top? If you've put a lot of rounds through it, have you had any problems?
How do the Ruger Vaquero's compare accuracy-wise to the SAA clones, such as the Cimarron?
Old October 16, 2007, 02:25 AM   #7
spurrit

My 4 5/8" Vaquero in .45 Colt shoots one hole groups when I do my part, and, being a Ruger, I can load it hotter and shoot those hot loads all I want without wearing it out. If it gets loose, I just replace the basepin. Haven't had to replace one yet. My Blackhawk in similar length, but in .357 is quite the shooter, too.

I have a friend that had the same .45 I do, and he was loading his so hot, he heat colored his STAINLESS cylinder from all the heat! He was having to trim .454 brass because he was blowing out his .45 colts.
Old October 17, 2007, 08:51 AM   #8
SundownRider

Dithsoer,
The gun is unfired, new in the box, and at the moment I am trying to sell it to fund other projects. Sometimes this darn responsibility thing gets in the way of me really enjoying myself.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old October 17, 2007, 11:49 AM   #9
CraigC

To me the Rugers and Colt replicas, whether they be cartridge-firing or percussion, are as different as night and day. I love them all and each has its place. The Ruger is a thoroughly modern design, based on the historical Colt SAA. They are well made, are usually plenty accurate and will last practically forever. The trade-off is that they do not feel like a more traditional single action. If you love the traditional guns, they can leave you a little wanting. Especially the original large frame Vaquero. It is nowhere near as svelte and slick-handling as the SAA. The New Vaquero, with its smaller frame, is much closer to the Colt SAA.

The Colt and its replicas are almost exactly as they were over 100yrs ago. Maybe not quite as nice in terms of fit and finish because of the amount of handwork present in the originals but the overall appeal is there. They take you back in time like no other and can be every bit as accurate as a modern gun, if not moreso. The crude, original-style sights usually being the weak point. The trade-off here is the very old design, dating back to the 1836 Paterson. Now I believe that much more has been made in print about the fragility of the Colt designs than exists in reality but the possibility for mechanical breakdown exists. As with any other man-made contraption. A professional tuneup can prevent much of this from ever happening. Nothing feels like a tuned Colt!

These days most of the Colt replicas are very good and have been getting better in recent years, particularly the SAA replicas. My advice would be to buy the best you can afford, expecially in the percussion pistols. Avoid the cheap guns and go for the newest of production guns. I also believe the cartridge conversions to be typically of better quality and made from better steel (or at least better heat treatment) than their percussion counterparts, being more heavily regulated by the ATF. Of all those I've laid hands on, the Cimarrons seem to be the best.