The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 6, 2005, 09:37 PM   #1
dietom

Kentucky Rifle Sold by Cabella's

Hello, Any reviews of the Cabella's Kentucy rifle Flintlock? What would be the best flintlock for the lowest price? Thanks Tom T.
Old August 6, 2005, 11:33 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

If you want a functioning flintlock, a good starter gun is the Lyman Great Plains. Certainly it is a later style gun (1830-40s onwards), but it's a good value for the money. BTW, half stocks like it may have appeared after the 1803 Harper's Ferry Rifle.

As to the Cabela Gun, I've never fired or handled one and refrain from commenting.
Old August 7, 2005, 07:43 PM   #3
Yankee Doodle

The Kentucky Rifle sold by Cabelas is made by Pedersoli. I have one. The only problem I have found, is the difficulty in locating black powder in my area. The gun shoots as well as I can reasonably expect, and except for the fact that I very slightly enlarged the flash hole, it is as it came. The flint that came with it sucked, and I use T/C flints now. I have tried Power belt bullets in mine, and although accuracy is less than ball, it will still shoot minute of deer out to 50 yards. Most of my black powder deer were within 30.
Hope this helps.
Y.D.