The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 27, 2011, 07:49 PM   #1
jj05

Tapco ar15 mags. Yes or no?

Saw the tapco mags advertised at brownells for cheap. Anyone have any first hand range time with them? If so how well do they fit in standard mag pouches?
Old April 27, 2011, 08:37 PM   #2
chasep255

I don't have any for my AR but I do for my AK. The mags are too big and won't fit in the well. Apparently a lot of people have this problem with the magazines. I don't know if they are over sized for the AR. Try looking at the reviews posted on Midway USA for this product; they are very helpful.
Old April 27, 2011, 09:09 PM   #3
Hog Red

i haven't tried Tapco but have played around with quite a few mags and have never used any of them again since getting p-mags. i'm not even interested in trying anything else anymore, i'm sold on them.
Old April 28, 2011, 08:26 AM   #4
jj05

Update:
Got my hands on 2 of them. They fit fine in the mag well and fall free when released. However 2 of them will NOT fit in my 5.11 ammo pouches.
Old April 28, 2011, 11:20 AM   #5
Technosavant

Don't really see the point to them, myself.

IMO, between the Magpul Pmag, regular GI style with an anti-tilt follower, and the TangoDown ARC, there's something in there for every budget and all are very reliable. Unless the Tapco was far cheaper than the $13 or so for the Pmags and GI w/ follower, there's not much point to it over one of the others and if it were that cheap, I'd have to wonder about the quality.

Kind of a catch-22... the market is already well served by good companies with good products at good prices; a newcomer has to offer something not offered already (either new features or better prices), and those would invariably be seen with suspicion.