The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 14, 2010, 02:07 PM   #26
celtgun

No such in J-frame

My nickel Model 36 has no flame cut with who knows how many rounds, several hundred since I bought it used 4-5 years ago. I do not shot light bullets or hot reloads. 148 wadcutters or 158 swc reloads at medium levels of Bullseye. Ny-clads for carry.
The LCR remains to be proven as is, but Ruger will back it and for what it is it will be a "success". Too light even in 38 for my tastes, much less 357. I have been carrying forever, the weight is not a problem. Lightweight is a problem as soon you fire the first round, especially for the less experianced.
I shoot more than the average, and I like the weight, second shot will always be better in the heavier pistol.
Practice, Practice, Practice.

Pray and Shoot Daily.
Lee Jones(Celtgun)

We should avoid fighting when we can, but there are many things worse than bloodshed, and cowardice is one of them. Chairman Jeff Cooper
Old June 14, 2010, 03:38 PM   #27
totaldla

I tried the graphite pencil trick - didn't work for me.
Old June 16, 2010, 01:47 AM   #28
jPhoenix

Quote:
Lightweight is a problem as soon you fire the first round, especially for the less experianced.
Actually the LCR is paradoxically easier to shoot and with less perceived recoil than a steel chiefs special...IMO

I don't know why exactly, but as far as small frame .38's go, it's the finest shooting one I've ever had the pleasure to use - excellent (even amazing) factory trigger pull, great ergonomics with the Hogue tamer grip, relatively low felt recoil even with "Heavy" Buffalo Bore 158 gr. LSWCHP +P's (and with 135 gr Speer Short-Barrel GD's it's downright pleasant).
Additionally, the cylinder release on the S&W j-frames will occasionally hit and bloody my thumb knuckle in recoil, not a problem with the LCR. This is important to me because I like to grip high and tight. Though the new model 38 bodyguard seems to have remedied this personal problem of mine by moving the cylinder latch.

In any event, we all have our preferences. To each his own...

Last edited by jPhoenix; June 16, 2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old June 18, 2010, 05:45 AM   #29
celtgun

And I have been wrong before, many times

I shoud first admit I have never shot the LCR and just don't like lightweight pistols. And I am a devoted collector/shooter of the J-frames.
The Rugers will always be well designed, and that makes a differance, I am sure. And the LCR might reduce demand for Js, good for me price wise, maybe.
The Speed-Six and SP-101 are great handguns and no doubt the LCR will be as well. Bill Ruger was the greatest thing to happen in American firearms in the last half of the 20th century, IMO and lots of others too. The surge in concealed carry is quite an event for gun ownership, bringing in lots of new interest and new folks. Can only be good.
Join, Support the NRA, GOA and other gun rights orginazations. Take somebody shooting, safety first.

Pray and Shoot Daily.
Lee Jones(Celtgun)

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve
order in the world as well as property . . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the
law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
Thomas Paine, Thoughts on Defensive War (1775).
Old July 9, 2010, 07:37 PM   #30
jPhoenix

I'm the OP.

Here's the final tally:

Ruger reported back to me that the LCR needed to be replaced.

You'll find the replacement offer below (with sensitive info edited out).

I had the brand new Replacement LCR (with new serial number) on July 1st. I made my original inquiry with Ruger on June 7th. So, there's your turnaround time.

Here's the kicker: The brand new, fresh off the line replacement LCR seems to have the same divot (or very very similar to) as the one I sent in. And this new LCR has NOT yet been fired.

Conclusion:
Everyone here who said that it was not flame cutting, was no big deal, and/or was probably just a tool mark from the factory was absolutely correct and gave solid sound advice.

Why Ruger deemed that it needed to be replaced, I don't know. They were not forthcoming with an explanation.

In any event, Ruger provided excellent customer service and bought themselves a very loyal customer for years to come. I know if the customer is unhappy they will see to it no matter what.

I'm only sorry that Ruger needed to replace a revolver that was probably fine to begin with.

If I had it to do over again, I'd I've taken the majority of the advice that I received on these forums and left it be.

So for the next person who has this "problem" (or lack thereof), if your divot looks like mine did/does, worry not. Everything's fine.

Pics below of the old frame and the new frame. I had said originally that the my original frame was smooth upon my initial inspection (prior to firing the first time). I now believe that I was wrong and did not inspect the revolver as accurately as I had remembered. I apologize for the selective memory.

Thanks to everyone for their solid and sound advice.

I hope this post is helpful to someone in the future.

ASSESSMENT AND OFFER OF REPLACEMENT FROM RUGER:

ORIGINAL LCR THAT WAS REPLACED:

REPLACEMENT LCR:

Last edited by jPhoenix; July 9, 2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old July 9, 2010, 08:03 PM   #31
rjrivero

Interesting....

There must have been something else wrong with the firearm that you didn't see when you sent it back to Ruger.

Thanks for sharing the outcome, and I'm glad I'm not loosing my mind.
Old July 9, 2010, 08:33 PM   #32
jglsprings

Hmmm, does it look the same to anyone else? Or am I missing something?

Commas save lives...
Old July 9, 2010, 09:20 PM   #33
laytonj1

Quote:
Why Ruger deemed that it needed to be replaced, I don't know. They were not forthcoming with an explanation.

Needless to say, Ruger provided excellent customer service and bought themselves a very loyal customer for years to come.
Not sure I follow your logic there but glad you're satisfied.

Jim
Old July 9, 2010, 09:50 PM   #34
jPhoenix

Quote:
Quote:

Needless to say, Ruger provided excellent customer service and bought themselves a very loyal customer for years to come.
Not sure I follow your logic there but glad you're satisfied.

Jim

Changed "Needless to say" to "In any event." sound more logical... maybe?

Last edited by jPhoenix; July 9, 2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old July 9, 2010, 09:52 PM   #35
jPhoenix

Quote:
There must have been something else wrong with the firearm that you didn't see when you sent it back to Ruger
Very Possible.
Old July 10, 2010, 06:23 AM   #36
Kreyzhorse

Interesting outcome without an explanation from Ruger, but, they took care of you from a CS standpoint.

Good luck with your new LCR and I hope you don't have any issues with this one.
Old July 10, 2010, 03:20 PM   #37
hhb

LCR

I had one of the first LCR's, serial # in the 1500 range and got concerned about the reports of flame cutting and traded it this week for the new S&W
Bodyguard .38sp. Funny thing about the Bodyguard is that the cylinder rotates clockwise like Colt's. If I buy another LCR, I'll wait for the steel framed .357.

Tags
.38 , cutting , flame , lcr , ruger