The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 29, 2009, 01:52 PM   #1
JustinL

CCW To Concert In Tacoma Dome?

They say that weapons are prohibited but I think it's a city-owned place. Anyone know if CCW is okay?

Thanks.
Old August 29, 2009, 01:54 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
They say that weapons are prohibited....
If "they" is the Tacoma Dome staff or something in writing therefrom then that means weapons are prohibited.... CCW being a weapon.
Old August 29, 2009, 01:55 PM   #3
csmsss

I would be astonished if you were able to legally carry a concealed firearm inside a large public sports facility. But...why are you asking us? Why not call up the arena and ask them what their rules are?
Old August 29, 2009, 03:01 PM   #4
JustinL

I'm asking if they have the jurisdiction to prohibit a concealed firearm, in reference to the State preemption law, since it doesn't appear that they are a private business.
Old August 29, 2009, 03:06 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Per RCW 9.41.290 (state preemption of firearm laws), divisions of local government (city, county, town, or other municipality) cannot regulate firearms more restrictively than the state does. Exceptions to state preemption — that is, areas in which local governments are allowed to regulate firearms — are contained in RCW 9.41.300. These exceptions include:
"Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others."
"Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, except that such restrictions shall not apply to [concealed pistol license holders, law enforcement officers, or any] showing, demonstration, or lecture involving the exhibition of firearms."
"Restricting the areas in their respective jurisdictions in which firearms may be sold."
Old August 29, 2009, 05:50 PM   #6
azredhawk44

I went to a minor league hockey game there back in college (1998 or so)... they had metal detectors, if memory serves.

Neat ceiling. Felt like a Norse lodge.
Old August 30, 2009, 01:43 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

I have been there a few times

And never carried while there, I just figured it was simpler not to. Watched the pyrotechnics from a Kiss concert start a fire in the wooden beams of the dome many years ago. Fun time.

The key here would seem to be finding out whether the Tacoma Dome is public or privately owned. Don't just guess, you have to know. The quoted RCW would only apply if the Dome is publicly owned and operated. If privately owned then the rules of the owners apply. If they say no CCW, then no CCW.

If it is publically owned, but privately operated, I'm not sure if the RCW exemption for CCW would apply or not. It would appear not, from the wording of the RCW.

I would suggest contacting Dome security for their policy on CCW. Then, if they shun it, find out if they have the legal authority to do so. They might. It is also possible they might not, and just have the policy in place, and have never been challenged on it.

I wouldn't just go walking in with your CCW piece, find out everything beforehand, and if you have the legal right (and decide to do it) make certain you have copies of the relevant legal documents to present to security, before any search or metal detectors. Last thing you want is to get jumped by six guys in security T-shirts who don't know the letter of the law. If that happens, you are in for a hassle, no matter whether you are in the right about your CCW or not. Charged with creating a public disturbance (with a CCW involved) might be enough to get your permit canceled, and leave you facing other charges.

Personally, even if it turns out to be allowed under the law, I'd leave my CCW behind, in a safe place. But if you want to make a statement (assuming you are on safe legal ground), go ahead. Just remember that they aren't very gun friendly in that part of the state.

Good Luck!
Old August 30, 2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.tacomadome.org/history.aspx

"The Tacoma Dome is one of the largest wood domed structures in the world.* It is owned and operated by the City of Tacoma’s Public Assembly Facilities Department.* Flexibility is the key to the success of the Tacoma Dome.* With numerous seating configurations available – 65% of the seating is moveable – almost any event is possible.* Unique seating configurations ranging from 5,000 to 23,000 combined with a sound reverberation of 2.5 seconds make the Tacoma Dome the Preferred Concert Venue of the Pacific Northwest."
Old September 5, 2009, 01:03 PM   #9
DaveWUSAF

Per RCW 9.41.290 (state preemption of firearm laws), divisions of local government (city, county, town, or other municipality) cannot regulate firearms more restrictively than the state does. Exceptions to state preemption — that is, areas in which local governments are allowed to regulate firearms — are contained in RCW 9.41.300. These exceptions include:
"Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others."
"Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, except that such restrictions shall not apply to [concealed pistol license holders, law enforcement officers, or any] showing, demonstration, or lecture involving the exhibition of firearms."
"Restricting the areas in their respective jurisdictions in which firearms may be sold."

I think you have to look at the entire statement in the RCW.

Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, except that such restrictions shall not apply to [concealed pistol license holders, law enforcement officers, or any] showing, demonstration, or lecture involving the exhibition of firearms

This seems to change the actual interpretation of the regulation. It may read as the restriction does not apply if you are showing, demonstrating, or lecturing involving the exhibition of firearms.

Not too sure about how to read the RCW.

Dave