The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 15, 2010, 04:06 PM   #1
jag2

Federal 45 ACP

The only 45 I shoot is range pickup brass. I noticed some of it has the smaller flash hole and uses small primers. No big deal but I was wondering what it was when it left the factory. I checked their website and it doesn't mention it.
Is it a 230 grn round, anything different in the packaging or marketing?
Old December 15, 2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Miata Mike

I have picked up quite a bit of .45acp range brass and have yet to see one with a small primer. Curious to see what the scoop is on this.
Old December 15, 2010, 04:27 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

Small primer .45 ACP brass is usualy from the lead free primer rounds. Due to the lead free primer being hotter than standard they use small primers in the large cases. (I could be wrong on the pressure part, that is just what I heard.)
Also note I have seen this in Blazer Brass, and Winchester White Box. Head stamp on the W-W brass usualy says WinClean or something like that. I have a coffee can full of them saved for the times I know I am going somewhere I will end up either loosing it, of they are buttheads about people picking up thier own brass.
If you have some small pistol primers you can load them the same. I have and they shot just fine.
Old December 15, 2010, 05:12 PM   #4
lashlaroe

Quote:
Is it a 230 grn round, anything different in the packaging or marketing?
230 gr RN FMJ. Same packaging and markings as the large primered stuff. No mention of lead-free or anything. Check out my thread for pics of the boxes.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432429

As much as I believe that there is good in every person, I'm not so naive as to think that all people are essentially good. Evil and evil people exist. Deny that fact at your own risk.
Old December 15, 2010, 06:20 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Wouldn't surprise me if those are lead-free primers. Federal may just be anticipating future trends. You could call them to ask, but I am unaware of any brass-colored primers produced for sale to the public by Federal.

The telling point will not be the primer diameter but whether or not the flash hole is bigger or if it is crimped like a military primer. The DDNP that replaces lead styphnate in conventional primers as the impact sensitive igniting explosive, has higher brissance the lead styphnate and the primers will literally blow themselves out of the primer pockets if the charge is big or if the flash hole isn't made bigger to let the gas escape or else if they don't crimp the primer to keep it from backing out too hard with a smaller flash hole.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle