The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 12, 2007, 03:53 PM   #1
dalegribble

BP ammo commonality

I am adding some 44 BP revolvers to my collection. I would like to add a traditional period type rifle as well. I would like to be able to use the same ammo, etc. I can't find any 44 rifles but I do see 45's. My question is can I use the same 454 balls for my pistols in the rifle? It just seems to make sense to have one bullet, one cap, one powder for the revolvers and the rifle. Is this possible?
Old August 12, 2007, 05:49 PM   #2
mykeal

Not that I am aware of.

Revolvers use a "bare", that is, unpatched ball, so it must be oversize, ie, .454 ball in a .44 cal revolver. The lead bullet engages the rifling in the barrel.

.45 caliber rifles use a patched ball, which is undersize, with a cloth patch to seal the chamber and grip the rifling. Thus a .440 ball with a .010 cloth patch, which actually adds up to a .460 projectile.

If you used the .440 ball in the revolver with a patch, the patch would come off the ball when it entered the barrel, thus leaving an undersized projectile in the barrel. Loose fit = no spin from rifling = no accuracy.

If you used an oversize, say .454, ball in the rifle, the process of pushing the ball down the barrel during loading would cause the ball to engage the rifling, thus distorting it; on the return trip it will not re-engage the rifling with the same grooves and even more material will be removed. The ball that exits the barrel will not be round and will not be spin stabilized.
Old August 12, 2007, 07:16 PM   #3
dalegribble

Makes sense to me. Thanks.