The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 14, 2005, 10:19 PM   #1
zulustyle

Range etiquette (AKA Common Sense)

Howdy,
A buddy and I went to the local gun range about 5 minutes from my house. I was really itching to go because its been a long time since I've had a spare afternoon on a weekday. I was on my third magazine when all of the sudden I hear the unmistakable sound of a cell phone ringing. Some guy came in after us and had not yet begun to shoot and aparently neglected to turn off his phone.
I did'nt think much about it because I assumed he would have turned it off after this discovery....I was wrong. Instead of turning his phone off he steps out of his stall to try to carry on a conversation as we were shooting. Of course he had to yell. It was pretty distracting to say the least.
Has anyone else run into any range idiots out there ?
Old March 14, 2005, 10:22 PM   #2
snacktrack

In the range that I go to, there are signs everywhere that say "Cell Phone use Prohibited" If you are talking on the phone you will be asked to leave even inside the showroom let alone the range. Bravo.

The worst are the people with Nextels, man they really irk me.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein
My band's website: daughter darling
Old March 14, 2005, 10:24 PM   #3
chris in va

I wouldn't call the range a 'cell phone free' zone. Calls happen, but he should have stepped outside.

But I've certainly answered my phone while on the range, especially if it's important.
Old March 14, 2005, 10:29 PM   #4
ffxmike

thats why I like the outdoor one I go to..I haven't found a carrier yet that gets signal there!

(chris, I didn't forget about you, I just haven't been up there yet...work is busy...directions soon!)
Old March 14, 2005, 10:56 PM   #5
k_dawg

You just gotta time your shots right..

every time he starts, you start :-)

seriously, i hate cellphone usage lack-o-etiquette in almost all venues.
Old March 15, 2005, 01:53 PM   #6
Blind Tree Frog

The range I tend to go to has signs saying no cellphones, but my general opinion is that if you are allowed to talk to the guy standing next to you you should be allowed to talk on the phone. The anti-cell phone people irritate me more then the rude celphone people
Old March 15, 2005, 02:02 PM   #7
snacktrack

I dont get it. You are at the range firing a weapon. WHY do you need to be on the phone? Its called voice mail people. Finish your rounds, go outside and call them back.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein
My band's website: daughter darling
Old March 15, 2005, 02:32 PM   #8
Edward429451

But its so fun to answer the phone and say "I cant talk right now, I'm under fire!" (Punctuated by small arms fire in background)
Old March 15, 2005, 02:34 PM   #9
1BadF350

Maybe we should ban cell phones.

Seriously though, if you want to talk on your cell from inside the range by all means do so. Don't expect me to stop firing just because you're talking. You do your thing, I'll do mine. I'm sure we have all used a cell phone someplace where someone else thought was inappropraite but we didn't realize it.
I say cut him some slack, at least he's not an "anti".
Old March 15, 2005, 02:35 PM   #10
NSO_w/_SIG

Blind Tree Frog

I agree.
It is not as though it is a library or movie theater.
There are times when cell phone user piss me off.
Ex. Mom driving with like 3 kids in the back of SUV, turning around yelling at kids, talking on cell phone, and almost side swiping me in the right lane as I pass her going 50 mph in the left.

Other than that though I have no problem with people talking on their cell phone at the range. What is it going to do distract you?

If the reports from all the guns don't bother you why would someone talking on their cell phone?

All that being said I wouldn't have a conversation but yes I would answer it and make sure it wasn't important, I would make it quick and then go back to business
Old March 15, 2005, 02:42 PM   #11
USP45usp

Quote:
I dont get it. You are at the range firing a weapon. WHY do you need to be on the phone? Its called voice mail people. Finish your rounds, go outside and call them back.
I agree. On most phones you can also see who is calling and if you think it important enough then go outside (or outdoors, a couple of yards).

Not only so those around you don't have to listen to your conversation but as a curtesy(sp) to the person who is calling .

And, I'm not anti-cell phones, I have one myself, but I don't think that everyone in Wal-Mart or other stores need to know about my private life and they (most) don't wish to know .

Wayne
Old March 15, 2005, 02:48 PM   #12
Smurfslayer

cells distract you

or rather the conversations do. All studies done on the topic show diminished response time when driving under the influence of a cell phone conversation; hands free device or not. My primary concern about a cell yakker on the range is, does he/she have a gun in his/her other hand

There's no conversation that important. That's why God invented voice mail.
Old March 15, 2005, 02:55 PM   #13
NSO_w/_SIG

Yeah my post was based on the shooter putting all guns down and stepping back to take the call.

As far as them being annoying and a distraction like I said I agree. I don't abuse them though like many people do. Especially the freakin idiots that have their Nextels on speaker and you can hear both ends of the conversation from 100 yds away.
Old March 15, 2005, 02:59 PM   #14
tokarevman

I dono but some of yall seem to care to much about what other people do at the range. I honastly would not notice if some was talking on there phone at the range becaus i would be to busy concetrating on my next shot. The only thing i ever pay ataintion to is when people yell out clear, or if someone directs a coment to me.
Old March 15, 2005, 03:11 PM   #15
Model520Fan

Bad move, Tokarevman. You should have some idea of which way the other folks' muzzles are pointed, and whether they are likely to stay pointed that way. The fact that you will not be able to predict this perfectly in no way subtracts from the fact that you can increase your chances of dying of old age by being at least somewhat aware of what is going on around you.
Old March 15, 2005, 03:19 PM   #16
Lt102

When we rely on others to use common sensethats when the trouble starts.

Most will say that it is common sense not to use a cell while driving, but so many still do, especially here in NY where it is illegal.

If it is COMMON sense then why do so few use it.

PS. beware those who talk with their hands when they are holding a gun
Old March 15, 2005, 03:25 PM   #17
XavierBreath

Wow! I never thought about this, and I am one of the offenders!

When I am on call, my cell phone must stay with me, and I must answer it. It's not uncommon for this to happen when I am at the range. Obviously, I do not go places where cell phone usage is banned during times I am on call, but I never imagined my phone buzzing or me talking on it would bother someone more than a .308 or a .357magnum. I don't expect anyone to stop shooting so I can talk, and yes, the nurses on the other end do hear the gunfire. I just step back from the line, slip the phone under my muffs and talk.

Is it really that much of a problem?
Old March 15, 2005, 03:39 PM   #18
Blind Tree Frog

Quote:
or rather the conversations do. All studies done on the topic show diminished response time when driving under the influence of a cell phone conversation; hands free device or not. My primary concern about a cell yakker on the range is, does he/she have a gun in his/her other hand
You can get a study to show you pretty much anything you want. I've seen studies that show that cell phones will worsen your reaction time more then drunk driving well.

But like i said, I don't see how it's any different then talking to your buddy next to you. People whine about it being a distraction while driving. Well so is everyone else in the car, the radio, the windows, eating, drinking, etc. If they want to remove all distractions from cars, great, but that law won't last very long at all.

But people talk louder on the cell then they do to the person next to them. Do they really? People keep saying this and I dont' see it. I see people talking louder, people talking softer, and people talking the same. I'd wager it's more of you don't have the other person there to use as a reference, and since you clearly can't mind your own business and are focusing on them, they sound louder.

And then people complain that it's more distracting because you can only hear half of the conversation. Well that is there problem. deal.
Old March 15, 2005, 04:22 PM   #19
zulustyle

Howdy,
The person I was talking about yesterday DID actually leave their weapon in the stall while they stepped out to have a conversation. Had the guy been on his phone without bothering to exercise muzzsle control ,I would have notified range personel at the very least!!
The ONE thing that bothers me more than anti-gun groups or gun-control advocates are fellow firearm owners that make the rest of us look bad/stupid with irresponisble actions around firearms. I feel that gun owners who choose not to exercise basic firearm safety pose more of a threat to the rights of firearm ownership than the special interest groups that want to take those rights away.
Old March 15, 2005, 04:58 PM   #20
tokarevman

Model520Fan, i of corse pay ataintion to people there, i just would not care if someone was talking on there cell phone. You always have to watch out for other people, make shure no one walks on the smaller yard ranges when you shooting at the 100yard or 200yard "thats the problem i run into the most". I in fact look up from my scope often to make shure no one has, also just make shure people with bad habits are not slinging there guns about. But do i pay ataintion to there conversations? No. Also if a cell phone rings i could care less its not gona distract me, i am gona keep doing what i am doing. Cell phones, talking people, or people shooting fast does not bother me. If any of those things bother someone they need to get over themselfs or get better earplugs.
Old March 15, 2005, 05:10 PM   #21
1BadF350

So what did he do that was so unsafe? You already said he put the firearm down to take his call.

We've graduated from "I was annoyed" to "If he was on the phone and still shooting.." I guess the answer would be "yes" I would be concerned if the guy was ordering a pizza with the phone in one hand while firing his Desert Eagle gangsta style with the other hand.

According to you're account he guy merely stepped away from the firing line in a safe manner (from what you have said) to accept a phone call...big deal. Cut the guy some slack. Looks like it would be more of a problem for him hearing his call than you shooting.
Old March 15, 2005, 05:24 PM   #22
U.F.O.

IMO, the bottom line here is the swelling grassroots movement against rude cellphone users in general. Every time you read the news someone is proposing banning cellphone use in retaurants and theaters or while driving. If the guy had backed away from the firing line because he'd had an asthma attack and was hacking up a lung, nobody would have minded.

U.F.O.
The low spark of high-heeled boys"
~Traffic - Stevie Winwood~
Old March 15, 2005, 05:26 PM   #23
Bullrock

[Quotation]
If the reports from all the guns don't bother you why would someone talking on their cell phone?
[End Quote]

Amen!

All the folks I shoot WITH wear hearing protection. When I am shooting I can't hear a conversation in a normal tone let alone a cell phone ring. I've not yet heard one with a loud piercing ring that would penetrate my ear gear.

My wife keeps asking me to take the cell phone when I go to the range in case she needs me for something. I always tell her, how the hell can I hear the phone ring dear, with my headset on and all those guns going off.

I'm all for courtesy and consideration in everything. Maybe if I could hear better I'd agree with you more.

Last edited by Bullrock; March 16, 2005 at 10:56 AM.
Old March 15, 2005, 09:07 PM   #24
Model520Fan

Tokarevman,

I must have misunderstood your first post. We are apparently in complete agreement.

Old March 15, 2005, 09:52 PM   #25
w4klr

Quote:
IMO, the bottom line here is the swelling grassroots movement against rude cellphone users in general. Every time you read the news someone is proposing banning cellphone use in retaurants and theaters or while driving. If the guy had backed away from the firing line because he'd had an asthma attack and was hacking up a lung, nobody would have minded.
On that note, I'd like to add to anyone on this forum, that if they support banning cell phone usage anywhere... shame on them, we know the hardships of bans all to well. As far as cell phones go, where does my right for silence start, and your right to communicate on a phone end?

If someone calls me while I'm at the range, I don't take the call not to be polite, but because I can't hear the person with all the gunfire. If I could hear them, you better beleive I'd be talking.

I think shooting next to a guy with an AR15 fitted with a muzzle break is a helluva lot more annoying than a piddly cell phone... ever shoot next to one of those guys?? As long as safety is adhered to, a cell phone causes no harm in my eyes.