The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 12, 2002, 02:24 PM   #1
RevNate

safe disposal

I just had to disasseble a small lot of handloads due to a case deformity problem. I saved the bullets, and burned the powder, but now I have several primed, unusable cases. None of my loading manuals seem to address the safe disposal of primed cases. I am pretty sure that punching the primers is not a good idea- and even if it is, I'm not going to. Is there a safe way to deavtivate the primers while still in the cases??

Nate
Old August 12, 2002, 02:31 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

If the cases will fit in your revolver/pistol, it is perfectly safe to fire them (outside of course). Be sure to clean your barrel afterwards. If the shells won't fit because they are too deformed, it's ok to just toss them in the trash. They may or not pop off at the land fill. If they do, it's still no problem, the workers are well aware that things can explode (aerosol cans, small propane bottles, etc.) and take the proper precautions.
Old August 12, 2002, 02:56 PM   #3
larryw

I squirt a small amount of WD-40 into the case and let it soak overnight before I dump them (I don't want to be the cause of a garbage truck fire). I've heard varying reports to the effectiveness of this so I tried to fire off some the first time I did it: none ignited.
Old August 12, 2002, 03:01 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Good idea - wish I'd said that.
Old August 12, 2002, 05:12 PM   #5
Nanaimo Barr

I keep a small mayo jar with a tight lid 1/4 full of WD40 on a shelf, thats where I dump iffy primers and fowled up cases with primers. I dump it once a year on the Halloween bonfire with the dead/questionable powder I save up over the year. (ok, this year I should have enough dumped powder to do a Yosimity Sam and lay a powder trail to the bonfire..)
Old August 12, 2002, 05:34 PM   #6
SC_shooter

I use a big hammer.
Old August 13, 2002, 02:17 PM   #7
HankB

Quote:
If the cases will fit in your revolver/pistol, it is perfectly safe to fire them. . .
Depending on how tightly your pistol or revolver is fitted, the primer may back out of the pocket a bit, as the case will be driven forward and the primer will be driven backward by the primer explosion. Sometimes this will tie things up.
Old August 13, 2002, 04:11 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

True, but it's still an option. But, I think larryw's suggestion is the better option.

I've shot many primer powered rubber bullets and haven't had it tie up a revolver or pistol to the point where it is even mildly difficult to open the action. But, you are absolutely correct that it could easily happen in a tighter gun. A wooden dowel lightly hammered down the barrel should fix it. Again, not the best way to go.
Old August 13, 2002, 06:27 PM   #9
RevNate

Thanks

Thanks for all the info. The cases in question are .30-06 and will not chamber in any of my rifles. So, I'm going to go the WD-40 route. It sounds like the safest and simplest method. Again, thanks to all.

Nate
Old August 14, 2002, 07:41 AM   #10
HankB

Quote:
I've shot many primer powered rubber bullets and haven't had it tie up a revolver or pistol to the point where it is even mildly difficult to open the action.
Mal, So have I. I really like the "X-Ring" rubber bullets for timing my draw. BUT . . . the instructions for these call for drilling out the primer flash hole with, IIRC, a 7/64" drill bit. This is done to prevent primer setback as well as increase the impulse to the projectile.

The instructions warn against using these modified cases to load "real" ammo.
Old August 29, 2002, 01:38 PM   #11
Paul Fitz Jones

Old Powder, damaged brass

The Ideas on the primers are good.
On damaged mouths casings I make them into another shorter caliber below the damage. Also if you canpop the primers the heads can be used for jewelry or with a very small bolt through the primer pocket can decorate leather gun or waist belts.
on old powder I spread it very lightly on my lawn as a good fertilizer.
Police Firearms Instructor