The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 22, 2014, 02:12 PM   #51
buckhorn_cortez

I've been working with wood and wood finishes since I was about 14 years old - which would make it 51 years, and I still have surprises with wood finishes.

My suggestion as a really good starting point would be to buy "Understanding Wood Finishing" by Bob Flexner. It is one of the best books on wood finishing you can find and will help you understand how finishes work and the best ways to prep wood for finishing and then how to choose the finish.

Wood finishing takes experience, and the only way you get that is by doing it. You just need to understand the basic principles of different types of finishes and then use your best judgment as to how to approach the piece of wood.
Old August 23, 2014, 09:42 AM   #52
buck460XVR

Quote:
I think I just might keep doing it as a hobby. I actually posted in this thread. Never wanted it to be any sort of business or career.

I think you have given yourself the best advice of any.....for now. But don't let the nay-sayers beat you down. Take it slow...research more before jumpin' in with two feet. Not just your methods, but the materials you are using. Dumping boiling water on a stock may raise some of the small dings, but it also can ruin a quality stock, by warping it, staining it or raising the grain. The chemicals you use such as the oil finishes can be highly flammable, especially in enclosed spaces. Other chemicals and solvents can be toxic when inhaled or when exposed to the skin. This includes sanding dust from many of the woods used on gunstocks. One, two or ten exposures, may not affect a young man's health. But repeated and/or continuous exposures can lead to permanent health issues. Make sure you take appropriate precautions, such as proper ventilation, protective gloves, clothing and eyewear, and make sure you dispose of used chemicals and stain/finish rags and materials properly. Have seen too many dumpsters outside of new homes I've built burning because the stainer just randomly tossed his rags in there.

Best of luck on your endeavor. Even if it does not become a source of income, it seems you have found a new passion that may stay with you thru-out your life time.