The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 12, 2001, 04:52 PM   #1
VictorLouis

It is a matte finished Wingmaster with 2&3/4" chamber. It's in great shape finish-wise, and it has the black synthetic furniture I've seen pictured w/SG Tech's conversions. The full stock is cobblestone textured on the grip, with a wide, grooved, short forend that stops flush with the face of the reciever. That's the one that won't interfere with a Sidesaddle, correct? This one has an action that is VERY slick, compared with others I've handled.

I'm not sure of barrel length, maybe 25"? It is ribbed, with a front 'blade' sight that has a white plastic bead facing back at you. Is it possible that it has an IC, or maybe even a Modified choke 'built-in'? The muzzle seems to be constricted, but there is no visible choke. How's $240 OTD srike you?
Old January 13, 2001, 11:06 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

$240's not bad,Vic, for a shotgun that will last longer than we will(G)...

There should be a bbl marking stating the choke, if it's a fixed choke.25" is not a standard length, 18,20,21,26,28 and 30" were the only lengths offered TTBOMK.

It may have been altered(thus losing choke), but most folks that shorten a bbl take off more, so I'm inclined to believe it may be a 26" bbl.Measuring it is easy. Tape it from the receiver to the muzzle and add about 3/8" to compensate for the distance to the bolt face.

That forearm should work with the 4 rd SSs, and even the 6 rds. Mine was altered to 5 to allow room for the peep sight base.

Now, what is the mission? Hunting, HD, clays, all of the above? Buy a mess of ammo and shoot it, before adding any mods and accessories. THEN, you'll have a better idea of what works for you, and what does not.

As it sets right now, it's a wonderful, versatile weapon and fun thing. Adding all the gadgets in the world might add 5% to its effectiveness, Knowing your shotgun and being able to use it adds immeasurably.
Old January 14, 2001, 07:20 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

An Addendum....

Yesterday, my route led right by a gun shop I've done business with and I was running early, so I stopped in for some browsing. On the wall was a used 870. Bright finished receiver, matte finished bbl with a fixed Modified choke, 28" vent rib. Nice wood, overall condition, near new. Smooth shucking, but showing little wear and no dings. It appears the bore has been chromed.It's set up for 3", no big thing to me...

Toying with the idea of picking this one up, and using it for geese, informal trap,etc pretty much as is. Price is $250....
Old January 14, 2001, 02:29 PM   #4
VictorLouis

You're right. Mine is stamped 'mod.' under the chambering. I cannot find my tape measure now, but I figure I'll keep this barrel for the trap range. Where should I look for an 18" bead, or 20" rifle-sighted barrel for use in the HD role? Which one would be more compatible with a +2 mag extension(for a 6rd mag)?
Old January 14, 2001, 06:52 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A 2 rd extension for an 18" bbl, 2 or 3 for 20", Vic. Find the local gun shop that handles police turn ins and ask them if there's a used bbl around, Most shops like that have them from time to time.

Modified is a good choke for all around use, 16 yd trap, and even sporting clays if you know your pattern and can use nice soft 8 shot to open it up a mite. I like modified for most dove shooting, and with the right steel load it does well on geese.