The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2013, 03:22 AM   #1
Kirkpatrick

Same powder, different cans

I recently just ordered 4 1lb cans of Hodgdon Universal. I wasn't able to find a 4lb can. What I want to know is what to do with the last little bit in each can. When there is only a little left, do I have to through it out because I'm afraid of mixing powders? Or can I put the new stuff out of the same lot mixed in with the older?
Old January 22, 2013, 03:46 AM   #2
bubbacrabb

I would mix it, I dont see how it could hurt as long as it is the same powder. I usually just pour it in the hopper like if I'm using Unique and run out I just pour more unique in with it. I know surplus powders can vary but that shouldnt. I'm not an expert though, that is just what I do.
Old January 22, 2013, 06:20 AM   #3
4runnerman

This is a old one that keeps coming up. If you have 4 one lb containers of the same powder and different lots. Go ahead and mix them all together and uniform it. All you have done is uniform 4 lbs of powder. You will need to do your load work up all over again,but most of the time if not all the time you will end up back at your same load any how. You now have 4 lbs of powder that will shoot the same instead of 4 one lb containers that will need 4 seperate load work ups.
Old January 22, 2013, 06:51 AM   #4
mag41vance

The only issue you might have mixing them all is if a particular lot # is ever recalled. That said,
I would mix them up and load some rounds and see if they match what you're duplicating.
Old January 22, 2013, 08:06 AM   #5
mmb713

Check the lot numbers on each can. If you bought them from the same seller at the same time there is a good chance they are all the same lot anyway.
Old January 22, 2013, 04:23 PM   #6
Two Old Dogs

Powder manufacturers mix and blend various lots of powder and may even coat the grains or use other processes to achieve a particular pressure level standard with any specific canister grade powder.

Each lot of a specific powder is created to provide the same performance, within industry tolerances, as the previous lot or a lot that was processed 10years ago. This adherence to a standard for a specific powder is the reason that yesteryears loading data is still valid and safe to use with that powder.

Mixing the dregs of several cans of a specific powder will not materially show different performance from the performance obtained from any of the cans individually.
Old January 22, 2013, 04:54 PM   #7
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
You will need to do your load work up all over again,
Never bothered in over 35 years, no real need to, the characteristics, especially of modern powder is close enough from lot to lot so as to avoid having to start all over again
Old January 22, 2013, 06:27 PM   #8
Ifishsum

Unless a reformulation of the powder has taken place (uncommon) I have no qualms about combining the remnants of one can into a new can of the same powder. That's kind of the point of canister powder vs. bulk - it's supposed to be safely consistent from lot to lot. If you have a super-accurate benchrest load or one that's really pushing the limits you should pay a bit more attention - once or twice I've had to slightly tweak a load due to a different lot number to match previous results; both times in a rifle cartridge and less than 1% change.
Old January 22, 2013, 06:49 PM   #9
rclark

I've done it since I started reloading back in the early 80s too. When the powder, say Unique, Green Dot, etc. bottle gets low, I just dump remainder into a new bottle. So it goes... Never worried about it... Never will.

Now, if it was a bottle is dated 1906... then I would not mix. But when you go through a bottle every few weeks (even a few years).... Why, no biggie. Use some common sense here.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 22, 2013, 07:14 PM   #10
reynolds357

I mix them, but dont take advice for me because I duplex too. I dont do it very often now since we actually have good powders, but did a lot of it back in the day.
Old January 23, 2013, 12:28 PM   #11
Kirkpatrick

Thanks for all the advice. I actually called Hodgdon and was amazed when I actually got answer, (I guessed that I would never get a straight answer for fear of liability). He told me that as long as I wasn't loading hot, I should be good to go for mixing the new stuff. He even told me that I could mix the new with the dregs of the old as long as I was sure that I had kept the old (couple of years) stuff cool and dry.
Old January 23, 2013, 06:31 PM   #12
4runnerman

Yes all you are doing is uniforming a larger lot.

Quote:
You will need to do your load work up all over again,

Never bothered in over 35 years, no real need to, the characteristics, especially of modern powder is close enough from lot to lot so as to avoid having to start all over again

I still do my load work up over,but as i stated and as pointed out here. You end up with the same load anyhow.
Old January 23, 2013, 06:39 PM   #13
m&p45acp10+1

Use each in your powder measure till there is a just a tiny bit left. Then pour the next fill from a new can. I do this will pistol powders. Though when I do it there is usualy less than 10 or 15 grains left when I pour in the next fill from a new can.