The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 24, 2014, 07:02 PM   #1
Mokumbear

Ammo drought??? Again???

I thought the ammo shortage was history!

I recently ordered a Kahr PM9 and was looking for reasonably priced ammo to get through the break in period.

When I bought the Kahr P380 several years ago one of their tech support reps recommended only using American made ammo with brass casings.

Now, I thought that 9mm was one of the easiest calibers to find.
I have looked online at some of the big ammo sellers I have used in the
past and nothing!

Can you recommend some trusted ammo sellers that might actually have ammo?

I am looking for Winchester White Box.
If there is another affordable ammo with my requirements above, suggest away.

I wonder if I am going to need to go to a gun show for ammo?
Old March 24, 2014, 07:07 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

Not sure about online dealers, but my local dealers have plenty of ammo on the shelves.

Have you checked local brick and mortar stores? Just curious.
Old March 24, 2014, 07:23 PM   #3
PointOneSeven

Surprisingly, our local Fred Meyer got a shipment of WWB in most calibers a couple weeks ago. Same with Sportsman's Warehouse, the local one got a big shipment in last week.

Maybe Sellier & Bellot or other imported ammo would still work? There is some ammo to come out of Europe that is very usable and burns clean (new brass, decent powder, etc).
Old March 24, 2014, 07:23 PM   #4
Mokumbear

Brick and mortar...

I have a WalMart and Dick's near me and a Gander Mountain that a bit of a drive. I have considered checking them out.

I'm still curious about online.
I have found a couple on Google but I don't recognize the retailers.
I imagine if they don't come through you can dispute the charge.
Old March 24, 2014, 07:28 PM   #5
trigger643

just checked my usual online ordering sources and the first 4 of them have it in stock (I didn't bother with the other 11), including one that has Blackhills -- something I'd not seen in a while.

You can also use this...

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/pistol/9mm/
Old March 24, 2014, 07:52 PM   #6
Mokumbear

Ammo for breaking in a Kahr PM9?

I have read some reports that Winchester White Box does not function too well with the Kahr PM9.

Can you recommend another inexpensive cartridge that would be
ideal for breaking the PM9 in with?
Old March 24, 2014, 08:25 PM   #7
SocialAnarchist

Why are people so eager to buy online and pay shipping versus going down the street to your LGS, or local hardware store, or Gander, or Cabella's or whatever to buy ammo? Heck my local LGS and the hardware store never went insane on their prices. Yes they went up but never to what some of you said you were paying.

I mean unless the price including shipping is significantly better what is the advantage? It always seemed to me everytime I looked by the time I paid shipping I ddn't save enough to make the wait worthwhile.
Old March 24, 2014, 08:34 PM   #8
SHE3PDOG

If you don't buy in bulk, it may not be worth it, but I often find that getting bulk orders online are quite a bit cheaper than trying to even find that much ammo at a local store.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old March 24, 2014, 09:19 PM   #9
Sweet Shooter

There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to it still. Most of my LGS's have what you'd expect and what you want (generally) at okay prices—except 22LR. Then I go into Sportsman's, and they can't get any bulk/inexpensive 357 mag or 5.56 and they are still rationing per customer for anything else. It may be just bad operational policies that prevent them from getting back to their feet after the drought. It's infuriating and speaks volumes about those big box stores on a corporate level. Even in LGS's the 22LR is overpriced. But 9mm? Tons of it at good prices.

-SS-
Old March 24, 2014, 09:25 PM   #10
sigarms228

Quote:
Why are people so eager to buy online and pay shipping versus going down the street to your LGS, or local hardware store, or Gander, or Cabella's or whatever to buy ammo? Heck my local LGS and the hardware store never went insane on their prices. Yes they went up but never to what some of you said you were paying.

I mean unless the price including shipping is significantly better what is the advantage? It always seemed to me everytime I looked by the time I paid shipping I ddn't save enough to make the wait worthwhile.
I have always been able to get significant savings buying online though I have not had a need to buy ammo since fall of 2012.

Palmetto State Armory occasionally has free shipping. Last time I bought from them in late 2012 was a case of Brass Blazer 115 GR for $169.80 shipped. No sales tax either.
Old March 24, 2014, 09:42 PM   #11
Targa

Its getting better in my kneck of the woods but there certainly is still a drought. If you have have a .40 or .45 the shelves are over flowing with ammo. If you have a 9 mm it can be hit or miss. If you have a .44 magnum or .380 ACP, well good luck brother and if you do find .380 rounds they are going for more than 9 mm, this is why I sold my Bodyguard .380, it just wasn't worth the hassel.
Old March 24, 2014, 09:44 PM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

Already (still?) under discussion here.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521685