The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 16, 2014, 12:15 PM   #1
sigp226wgerman

CZ75 Compact-Reviews?

Looking to add one to the arsenal for carry and want to know how they are. Thanks.
Old March 16, 2014, 02:18 PM   #2
Walt Sherrill

Do you mean a CZ-75B Compact (with a capital C) or just one of their compact guns.

The 75B Compact is a fine variant of the full-size 75B; if you like the full-size, you'll like the Compact. Both are made of steel, and the Compact mags will hold 13 or 14 rounds, depending on the mag.

Trigger and internals are the same on both models. The Decocker-equipped models are similar, and feel much the same in the hand, but the frames are alloy (lighter) and you can't carry "cocked & locked."

If weight is an issue for you -- you do plan to carry -- you might like the alloy versions better. If weight is not an issue, you might also consider a full-size CZ, as the size difference is not that great. (CZ now makes an alloy-framed Compact with safety -- that might be the best of both designs. It's available from the CZ Custom Shop. I'd probably still have a Compact had that version been available a few years ago.)

I've had several Compacts -- both blued and satin nickel. They're nice guns; I just found the steel versions a bit heavier than I liked -- but didn't like decockers enough to go the alloy route.
Old March 16, 2014, 02:21 PM   #3
sigp226wgerman

Yes, that is the model I am talking about.
Old March 16, 2014, 02:47 PM   #4
railroader

I was out shooting my compact this morning. It's heavy but it sure shoots nice. The gun is accurate and very reliable.
Old March 16, 2014, 03:11 PM   #5
tekarra

My cZ75 Compacts have been trouble free and totally reliable. In fact, I shoot them more accurately than the full size 75B.
Old March 16, 2014, 03:51 PM   #6
whippoorwill

I had a PCR. No problems at all, and quite accurate.
Old March 16, 2014, 04:08 PM   #7
Brutus

I have both an 85 combat and a PCR, find the PCR is just as accurate as the full size, light weight, great ergonomics and I prefer the decocker. It has become one of my favorite pistols. Only complaint is the serrated trigger which I could do without.
Old March 16, 2014, 06:32 PM   #8
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus
Only complaint is the serrated trigger which I could do without.
If you don't have a Dremel, your gunsmith does.

That trigger can be made smooth pretty easily. (Tape up the frame with masking tape in the trigger guard area and go at it... Your gunsmith will probably remove it and grind on it, making it smooth.)
Old March 16, 2014, 10:46 PM   #9
seeker073180

I have a PCR. Two complaints: the serrated trigger and the luminescent three dots. It looks like a kindergartner painted them. Eventually, I'll get around to smoothing the trigger and maybe replace the sights. But, it basically shoots like a full size gun. Looks good with no rail and I threw some vz grips on to slim the profile a little.
Old March 17, 2014, 07:19 AM   #10
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Two complaints: the serrated trigger and the luminescent three dots. It looks like a kindergartner painted them.
The luminsecent dots can be removed easily -- and then find some Testor's fluorescent model paint, use a toothpick, and change the color to something you like. (That paint works well in low light, and is great in bright light. Its not the same as night sights, but neither is the factory luminescent paint.)

I got three colors: red, white, and green mixed a little. to get a bright green. I didn't care for the red.
Old March 17, 2014, 01:17 PM   #11
RockDTMC

I also have a PCR. It is one of my favorite pistols and is a regular CCW. My trigger was and has been amazing since day one. The serrations are so fine that I can't even feel them. Very accurate gun and after more than 5000 rounds I haven't had a single failure.
Old March 17, 2014, 06:30 PM   #12
Pilot

I have the CZ PCR also. It replaced my Sig P228 which sits in my safe now. Fantastic, multi role pistol, but I also have the full size 75B, and Kadet Kit. I would never sell these, yet, Walthers, polymer HK's, and Sigs have passed through my hands without regrets.
Old March 20, 2014, 03:05 AM   #13
hemiram

Almost all the guns I really regret selling are the all steel ones. I have only had two polymer guns, and they both had major issues. Both are gone, and I don't miss them much. I can't say I miss most of the alloy guns either, with the exception of my Beretta 92FS and Browning BDA380. I have no idea why, but most of the really bad guns I've had were alloy framed.
Old March 20, 2014, 08:00 PM   #14
mbott

Quote:
Almost all the guns I really regret selling are the all steel ones.
Ain't that the truth. I find myself gravitating back to the all steel guns like my 1911s and CZs. It must be that as a last resort, you can always smash someone real well with steel.

--
Mike

Last edited by mbott; March 21, 2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old March 22, 2014, 05:22 PM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.ph...Compact-Review
Old March 23, 2014, 07:35 PM   #16
1hogfan83

I miss a lot of my carry guns but I'll probably never own a revolver again. Just don't mix well. Two guns that I really do miss is my M&P compact 9mm and my 1911 Smith and Wesson.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee