The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 29, 2001, 09:53 AM   #1
abrahamsmith

I would have thought this issue had been discussed, but I couldn't find it in the archives.

What oil should one use on a muzzleloading blackpowder rifle? I would assume that regular gun oils (CLP, et al) would do bad things if they contacted powder.

do you leave any oil in the bore or flash hole area?

Old May 30, 2001, 09:29 AM   #2
Poodleshooter

I'm probably alone on this, but... I don't use any. I shoot a stainless steel sidelock, and have had nothing but reliability problems when I use even small amounts of oil. I scrub like crazy, then warm my barrel by the oven to get rid of moisture after cleaning. I could never get all of the oil out of the weapon, and I hated having an odd number of caps left after snapping them to clear the nipple.
Old May 30, 2001, 07:03 PM   #3
dick w. holliday

i'm no whizz at black powder but when i started a while back i sought advice from some of the black powder sites and one thing i remember reading over and over is do not put any petroleum based lubes in your barrel. i think they increase fowling dramatically .As a matter of fact i remember cleaning mine w/boiling water and dawn dishwashing detergent to get it all out before i shot my first time....i use something called Bore butter to lube mine up after shooting...I think thompson makes it....Dick
Old May 31, 2001, 12:18 PM   #4
RobCon

I have used Shooter's Choice Rust Prevent on blackpowder guns (after cleaning) for many years with complete satisfaction. It dries to a film and does as good a job at preventing rust as anything I have used. I run dry patches through the bore before shooting and QTips in the cleanout as well. No problems with ignition or fouling in flintlock or percussion guns. Sentry Products Tuffcloth is also excellent on the exterior sufaces. It leaves a dry film of some sort. Rob
Old May 31, 2001, 02:41 PM   #5
WINTERVILLE WILL

Get yourself some Ballistol....use it for lubing and cleaning...the more you use it, the better it works.