The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 23, 2014, 08:34 PM   #1
Drummer101

Furniture

Does anyone have any experience with this item?
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/st...cealment-bench

I am thinking of a way to store a few rifles and hand guns in my apartment (no kids and I could not get a real safe to the 3rd floor, no elevator just open stairs).
Old February 24, 2014, 12:07 AM   #2
Sevens

A SnapSafe will easily (so, SO easily) go to a third floor apartment. That's exactly where we put the one my buddy bought, third floor apartment. And assembly is insanely easy.

It's expensive for the amount of space you get and side by side with a true 600-1000 pound gun safe and it seems weak, but it's miles better than a locking sheet-metal cabinet. And the unit you linked weighs 64 pounds, so I wouldn't imagine the security of it is much better than a sheet-metal gun cabinet. The SnapSafe is closer to three hundred pounds, IIRC.

Easy to take up to a 3rd floor apartment because it's a modular safe. You are doing nothing more than hauling a few boxes up the stairs. Two people is easier, for sure, but a normal adult male in decent shape wouldn't struggle too much getting the entire thing up the stairs.

Your two biggest hurdles would be the price and arranging to be home for delivery.
Old February 24, 2014, 05:35 PM   #3
Drummer101

I presume you are referring to the titan?
Old February 24, 2014, 10:26 PM   #4
Drummer101

Maybe something like this might be nice (limited space in a small apartment with a wife this summer).
http://www.titangunsafe.com/2/45-TIT...ter_Vault.html

I figure any real safe I can get up here or afford would not be enough to stop a criminal.
Old February 25, 2014, 03:09 PM   #5
Sevens

https://www.snapsafe.com/
This is what I'm talking about. Modular safe, you simply haul 6 boxes up the stairs to your 3rd floor and assemble it in the room that will contain the unit. Security is greatly increased if you can find a way to bolt it down, or bolt it in some fashion that keeps the bad guys from moving it.

If they can move it, a couple of pry bars working in a team will open it.
But that's the biggie that most folks with traditional gun safes don't want to admit. If the bad guys can move their $2,500 glossy gun safe, THEY can pry bar in to it also.

Just an idea, I don't have the definite answers. But I do have experience with this product.
Old February 25, 2014, 05:36 PM   #6
Drummer101

Not allowed to bolt anything down...

I am stilling mulling through different ideas at the moment.