The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 4, 2006, 10:30 AM   #1
pax

What do women want?

I don't know what "women" want. But I know what this woman wants. I want a comfortable holster which really fits my gun and fits my body.

After looking at all the holsters I could find on the web or in friends' holster boxes, and having tried on dozens of designs, I could almost design one for myself. The holster I want would be a fleece-backed kydex holster. It has to have a slight muzzle-forward cant and it has to be tuckable. If the cant is adjustable, that would be a big plus.

Tuckable holsters leave a loop visible on the belt. I want my holster to be made of kydex, because kydex is thinner and faster to draw from, and easier to care for. But that loop -- I want it covered in leather. Not just any leather, either. I want it to be covered with the exact same leather as my belt, and I want a pretty design stamped on it.

The belt has to be super-stiff and have a pretty buckle. Some decorative stamping would be a nice plus.

My gun is an oddball now, with a no-longer-produced CT laser giving it an unusual extra bulge. So the holster would have to be custom-fitted to this particular gun.

It isn't hard to find custom leather holster makers. My friend Chris Cunningham does beautiful leatherwork, and she has plenty of competition.

But does anyone do truly custom kydex/leather blends?

pax
Old September 4, 2006, 11:02 AM   #2
HSMITH

Pax, have you held/used/tried a Blade Tech IWB? I have thought about bonding a backer material to mine to make them a little more comfortable since I like the holster so much.

Mark Miller at Mach 2 Tactical custom makes kydex holsters and accessories. I have not seen anything with leather or fleece but I think he would be up to the task if you asked him to.

http://www.m2tactical.com/
Old September 4, 2006, 11:16 AM   #3
pax

HSMITH ~

Yep, Blade-Tech's tuckable is what I'm currently using. I've been happy with it for years, but now I want to tweak it a little to make it perfect. It needs to be set lower on my belt, have a little better camoflage on the belt loop, and have some comfort padding on the back. Plus my gun needs just a teensy-tiny more holster length near the trigger guard to accomodate the CT laser -- the Blade Tech UCH I'm using works and hasn't given me any real problems, but my gun doesn't snick properly into the holster and I'd be happier if it did.

pax
Old September 8, 2006, 02:11 AM   #4
hknut

We are guys! How the hell are we suppose to know what a women wants!!

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old September 8, 2006, 08:11 AM   #5
Dreadnought

I think you can jsut about anything you want from custom leathermakers, it's just a matter of how much you want to spend. Tucker gunleather in Texas does some kydex/leather blends.
www.tuckergunleather.com
Old September 8, 2006, 11:22 AM   #6
OBIWAN

I was gonna guess Shoes
Old September 8, 2006, 12:02 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

I'm sure she wants *matching* shoes for said holster. Man, I wish Marin Chapin Carpenter had changed her lyrics from "I want a comfortable bed that won't hurt my back" to "I want a comfortable holster that fits my body", in addition to wanting passionate kisses! Good luck in holster search, pax!
Old September 8, 2006, 03:45 PM   #8
2ndamd

Careful guys.
I just visited PAX home page. I think this may be the famous Gila Hayes.

If so, it is an honor to be on this site/forum with you. Gila was featured in severl Glock annuals and has some very good instructional articles. She is an excellent shooter. And many of us could learn much from this professional trainer.

OH! And her husband happens to be darn good too. Marty Hayes. Well reknown in the shooting world.
Old September 8, 2006, 11:18 PM   #9
pax

2ndamd ~

No, no, no. I'm not Gila Hayes! Though I agree she's a remarkable woman, and I feel incredibly privileged to have learned from her and from Marty over the past half-dozen years or so. They are both great people, and excellent instructors.

pax,

Kathy
Old September 9, 2006, 09:51 AM   #10
2ndamd

I don't blame ya for feeling priviledged to have known her. She is a great writer and really good at breaking things down for us to learn from. She is a neat neat person.

Gila's articles inspired my wife to learn how to shoot. And she has learned well. I have often contimplated writing Gila to let her know what her articles have meant to us. Do you think she would like that?
Old September 9, 2006, 10:00 AM   #11
pax

2ndamd ~

I think it would make her day.

(You can contact her through her business, www.firearmsacademy.com -- there's a link on that page to her email address.)

pax
Old September 9, 2006, 11:30 AM   #12
Vinagre

I'll second the suggestion that you explore what Tucker might be able to do for you.

http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net...tml/index.html
Randall Knives (Mdl 1 & 2)
Old September 9, 2006, 11:48 AM   #13
pax

Thanks for the ideas, everyone.

pax
Old September 9, 2006, 07:07 PM   #14
newworldCurmudgeon

http://www.buybrownholsters.com/

Pax/Kathy

check out these guys.....they say they can make anything out of Kydex...I have one of their holsters....had a problem (extended mag release) and they fixed the holster for me,

PS still haven't got my wife out for training, but she is still up for it

NWC
Old September 9, 2006, 07:20 PM   #15
JR47

FIST also advertises that they'll make just about anything. I've used one of their holsters, and my wife is looking at their women's designs. She, too, likes the idea of a properly canted paddle holster, spaced properly to keep from digging into her because of her hips. Good luck. If you do come up with something, there are a LOT of women who could use a heads-up from you.

Please, don't be shy about sharing here.