The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 24, 2015, 04:40 PM   #1
dakota.potts

Hypothetical RPK build - buy parts kits or one piece at a time?

I've been intrigued recently by an RPK parts kit build from an 80% receiver. I would work with a qualified gunsmith to learn to do the riveting and barrel pressing and have them do a safety check prior to shooting.

The goal is to build something, learn some new things, and come away with something unique and fun even if it's not outright useful.

There are parts kits available under $300 without a barrel or receiver, sometimes as low as $225.

I would replace the trigger with a Tapco G2 which counts as 3 parts for 922(r) compliance and should be a little nicer than the military trigger that's included with any of the parts kits.

I also would replace all of the wood furniture with a set from Ironwood designs - a maple set that I would like to finish with aqua fortis or maybe pine tar. I do have experience finishing wood in the past from my knife making. I really like high quality wood and most of the parts kits don't come with the club style stock.

I would also have to buy a barrel for any parts kits.

So, looking at it all together, I'm already buying separately the barrel, the receiver, all of the furniture, and the trigger.

At what point does it become more cost effective to buy individual pieces than a whole kit? Headspacing obviously will be done with the barrel pressed in, so do I still need to worry about pieces matching? Does it matter if any of the parts match or come from the same kit or will there be any extra fitment required if they don't?

Perhaps this will never happen, like many of the other projects that I plan out, but the ones that do make it to fruition take a lot of planning and are awesome when they come out successfully.
Old April 24, 2015, 04:54 PM   #2
leadcounsel

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...2ec83-17868741

Aim has a new RPK for $1000, but includes 1000 free AK rounds (probably $250 value). Brings the rifle down too under $800. Includes 1 year warranty and 2 mags.

I've also seen these in the $600-800 range in the last 1-2 years. So, that's probably the route I'd go.
Old April 24, 2015, 05:00 PM   #3
dakota.potts

I'm not interested in just buying another gun. If I were, I'd probably get a shotgun or a nice hunting rifle since those are the guns I'm currently lacking.

I'm considering different types of builds that are exciting and a little more challenging than an AR-15, in addition to being something unique. I want to go through the process of making it myself. There's a lot of information out there and while there seem to be some unique challenges, for the most part it's just a bigger AK.

I do appreciate that suggestion though. I drool a lot over Aim Surplus and Atlantic Firearms

EDIT: To clarify, I'm talking about a Yugo M72, not a Romanian, as I understand there are some differences.

Last edited by dakota.potts; April 24, 2015 at 05:09 PM.