The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 15, 2012, 08:27 AM   #1
ragwd

Bullet design accuracy

Greetings, and thanks for taking the time to read my thread. I was hoping to ask two questions. The forum has been very helpful in the past with my reloading questions. After reloading for my AR15 a while. I have shifted my focus back to pistol reloads. I shoot a few times a week and on a league which is a ton of fun. So I have been reloading alot and starting to buy in bulk to save even more. I am considering "Berry's Bullets", I read good things about them on the forum. Most give a favorable responce to them, anyone second that. My real question is about bullet design and accuracy. I find that my Baretta M9 shoots JHP's more accurately than round nose. Shoots 124gr better than 115gr. I know that bullet weight is usually matched to rifling twist rate. Is there a bullet design inherently more accurate than others or is it a individual quality from pistol to pistol. I am sure there are a lot of variables to consider but in general term is this normal. I thought SWC or RN were more accurate.
Thanks for your time.
Old June 15, 2012, 08:59 AM   #2
kraigwy

In pistols and revolvers, the lead full wad cutter is the most accurate. The problem comes in what works in different guns.

Few autos will function with WC bullets, the exception being the Smith Model 52 and other guns built for Bullseye, ISU 'n such.

WCs work in revolvers but are slow to load with speed loaders or moon clips simply because they don't have a pointed shape to guide them in the cylinders.

If you are talking about slow fire where time isn't involved WCs work, but that is not normally the case in pistol/revolver action style shooting which is geared more to time.

For any semi reliability is the key, so a bullet first needs to be chosen that will feed reliabily, then go for accuracy and what works on your target.

Price then comes in. The more you shoot, the better you'll be (in theory) so people drift toward bulk ammo or better yet, cast their own bullets.

Take the 9mm for example, I never liked the 9mm much, not because its an inferior round, but because I had difficulty in finding a 9 mm pistol that shoots cast bullets with any sort of reliability. That is until I was in a position where I had to get a Beretta 92, too my surprise it shoots my cast bullets without any problems, so I shoot it more in competition then any other of my semis.

The short version, pick a bullet that functions in your gun, fine one that you can load quickly, then start worrying about accuracy, followed by cost.

Unless you're shooting Bullseye at 50 yards or ISU international Olympic style shooting, accuracy in a pistol/revolver isn't as critical as rifle shooting.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 15, 2012, 10:18 AM   #3
Jimro

It has been my experience that all bullets are good bullets, just not in all guns.

Try a variety of Berry's bullets and see if any of them work particularly well for you. If one does work particularly well, buy several thousand of them.

Jimro
Old June 15, 2012, 10:28 AM   #4
Jim Watson

If your league is in bullseye shooting, you will probably find the JHP the most accurate.

I am now loading Berry's for IDPA where they are good enough but I do not believe they will shoot with JHPs in NRA slowfire.
Old June 15, 2012, 11:20 AM   #5
ragwd

thanks for the posts, I have never tried wc, but I have run 500 plated swc through all of my 45acp's, just never tried in my baretta 9mm. I do plan on ordering a few thousand from Berry's. Thanks again for the solid advice.
Old June 15, 2012, 12:38 PM   #6
David Bachelder

Berry's Manufacturing offers a lot of really good products at competetive prices. Spend $50.00 and they pay shipping. I shoot a lot of it.

Pretty good deal.
Old June 15, 2012, 04:22 PM   #7
wingman

I use Berry 147gr 9mm, 180gr/40cal, 200gr 45acp, all give excellent accuracy
in my guns.
Old June 16, 2012, 12:23 AM   #8
ragwd

Thanks guys, I will be ordering this weekend.