The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 5, 2010, 09:37 AM   #1
WESHOOT2

killing misconceptions

Many think USPSA is all about uber-expensive guns, and 'race guns', about being competitive requires such gear, and how it isn't worth going without such stuff.....

So I have a suggestion: Take your not-racy gear and ammo to any USPSA match, and offer to trade your set-up with someone wearing their all-so-racy gear for the day.
See how good you become with that fancy stuff; see how fer-crap the trader becomes with your insufficient gear.

Dave Sevigny used to beat over 100 of us at local matches with a 9mm Glock and ten-rd mags. All of us......
Old August 5, 2010, 10:43 AM   #2
kraigwy

I'm with WESHOOT2 on this one.

You can't gimic your way to good scores. Its my opinion the gimic money would be better spent on ammo down range.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 5, 2010, 11:27 AM   #3
RickB

I shot fairly stock Colts in Limited and L10 for many years, then switched to a very trick ventilated longslide, with magwell funnel, fiber-optic front sight, frontstrap checkering, beavertail, etc., and my classification went up 10% almost immediately. There's no reason to be handicapped by your gear, but there's no reason to think you're going to win because you have the latest widget, either.