The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 14, 2006, 11:07 PM   #1
viper1216

Primer question

This is a 2 part question.

1st question...I bought 2 different primers for loading .45 ACP.
One is CCI #300 large pistol primers the other is Federal #150. My question is what is or is there a diffence between the 300 or the 150 or is it just model numbers or something. Does one burn hotter than the other? I checked my reloading manuals and couldn't find anything on it.

Second question...is it safe to deprime a live primer? Haven't had to do this yet but my father asked me about today and I didn't know the answer.

Thanks to all who have been answering all my questions recently posted. I just started reloading and you have all been the best!!!

Dave
Old December 14, 2006, 11:59 PM   #2
rwilson452

primer numbers

They are numbers assigned by the manufacturer and have no relation to any other mfg.

Depriming a live primer does carry some risk. It has been done but is not recommended. If you do it that primer should not be reused. the best way is just load the brass in your pistol and fire it using normal safety precautions. do it like it was a fully loaded cartridge. if you should put a primer in upside down. when you deprime the primer wear eye and ear protection I put up a shield too. then deprime very very slowly. I think I have done 3 this way and they didn't detonate. Don't bet on it not detonating. use every precaution you can think of.
Old December 15, 2006, 03:13 PM   #3
tjhands

Hi there. I prefer the Federal primers over the CCI. I have had a quite a few CCIs that did not detonate when the hammer fell on them - no such problems with the Federals, however. Your mileage will certainly vary depending on what type of gun you are shooting.

As far as depriming live primers, I have done it a number of times. Wear safety glasses and pull the handle on your press slowly until you hear the primer get kicked out. I've never had a detonation this way. Of course, as the above poster mentioned, simply putting the bulletless, powderless round in your gun and firing the primer (with ear protection, of course) is another way.
Old December 15, 2006, 05:24 PM   #4
Ben Shepherd

Federals are softer than CCI primers. Also slightly more consistent on physical dimensions.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old December 15, 2006, 10:28 PM   #5
viper1216

How loud is the report if you just fire the primer...is this something I should do at the range...
Old December 16, 2006, 01:18 AM   #6
rwilson452

primer report

the report from a primer going off is about the same as a 22 short. A lot depends on what your shooting it out of.
Old December 16, 2006, 08:48 AM   #7
castnblast

amen to the 22 short. It won't alarm the neighbors if you shoot one in your house. It is VERY LOUD though. I'd shoot one rather than deprime it. Having one go off in the press can send shrapnel & junk from your press flying around. you can at least control the direction of the blast out of a barrel. If you want to reduce the report, shoot it off point blank, or close to point blank into an old gun case.
Old December 16, 2006, 12:20 PM   #8
kingudaroad

My last 45 auto load I used federal 150m(match) primers with very good results. I'm not sure of the exact difference between regular and match. The price was a little higher, but it turned out to be a very good load.
Old December 16, 2006, 12:35 PM   #9
Edward429451

My experiance with CCI's & Fed 150's mirrors TJhands. Misfires with CCI's (Mostly Glocks), A few misfires with Winchester's! none ever with Feds.

Agreed, do not attempt to reuse decapped primers. While I do not reccommend it for obvious reasons, I have decapped hundreds of live primers over the years and never had one go off. Gently.
Old December 16, 2006, 07:40 PM   #10
ConRich

Whenever I have to decap a live primer, I put some light oil in the case and let it penetrate the primer. An oil soaked primer will not fire. HTH

Rich
Old December 16, 2006, 08:27 PM   #11
Rico567

Never used a Federal primer for metallic cartridge. I've used many thousands of the CCI 300 with no problems.

Live primers may be decapped safely, using a $2 accessory from Lee. It's available in two sizes, and consists of a decapping rod and a base to hold the empty case. There's a hole in the bottom of the base that catches the primer when it's driven out. This tool is intended to decap crimped-in military primers, but it works just fine for live primers, too. Most wil drive out without detonating. Every once in a while one blows, and there's a bang about like a .22 rimfire, with a little smoke. Since the exploding primer is contained in the cavity under the base, there's no danger from flying particles of primer. I regard the Lee device as mainly a precaution. Before I got it, I'd just decap live primer using a size die. It always worked fine.

- Mark Twain
Old December 16, 2006, 08:33 PM   #12
cheygriz

I have deprimed literally hundreds of live primers without a single detonation.

Very SLOWLY lower the ram until you feel contact betweem the decapping pin and the primer. Then slowly, ease the primer out, and dispose of it safely.* I wear OSHA approved industrial safety glasses when doing this, or ANY OTHER reloading operation.

It can be done with complete safety as long as you're careful and patient. If you tend to get in a hurry, or have a quick temper, them put them in a weapon and shoot them off.

* I put deprimed live prmers in a baby food jar until I have a dozen or so, then cover them with oil for a few days, then put them in my outside trash can.
Old December 16, 2006, 08:48 PM   #13
rem33

Pull the ram easy and slow. Post above has it right IMO.
Never had one detonate yet in 100 or so.

That Lee tool sounds like a good tool pulling military ammo.
Old December 17, 2006, 12:01 AM   #14
amamnn

Federal uses a diffrent priming compound than do the other primer manufacturers. There is some evidence to support the claim that Federals ignite powder either more efficiently or more violently, depending upon your take on the subject. Their priming compound apparently ejects tiny metallic particles into the powder charge in addition to igniting the powder in direct contact with the primer itself. Many of us describe the result as "Federal burns hotter" which is not strictly true.

The result is that when a max load calls for a primer other than a Federal, it would be wise to use the specified primer the first time you fire it. I use Federals exclusively in match and plinking rounds both and have never had any problems of any kind with them.